PDA

View Full Version : Oil/air leak?

st6212
10-24-2006, 11:51 PM
I've had this problem with my X-valve ever since I got it (used, not new). But I've sorta put up with it until now and figured I may as well fix it.

I drop 5-6 drops of oil directly into the air-inlet of the valve, gas it up and dry fire. After dry-firing a number of shots there is a small "puddle" of oil around the top bleed hold of the valve. The top bleed hole is located on the top of the valve's back half.

My guess is air & oil is escaping out of that bleed hole when I'm dry-firing. After I wipe that escaped oil away, no more oil escapes.

When I initially put a few drops of oil and gas the marker up, no leaks are occuring. It's only when I begin dry firing to lubricate the internals, that the oil leak occurs then stops.

Anyone experienced this before? Or know what's causing it?

athomas
10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Too much oil can cause the orings to not seal properly. Its the oring that seals, not the oil. Oil just allows the pins and such to move easier when in contact with the orings. Too much oil, and it creates a film that can't hold back the pressure. Its this excess oil that you are probably seeing.

st6212
10-25-2006, 09:28 PM
My other two X-valves do not do this, and when I had my Retro Valve it never did this. Which is why it seems suspect to me.

And AGD manuals do say to apply about 6 drops (7-9 drops I think in some of their manuals). I think it still does it even with just 3-4 drops, I'll have to double check.

I tried replacing the O-rings which I thought may be contrbuting the problem, as well as the one on the reg piston assembly. Still no luck.

Maybe the PTP oil I'm using is too thin, but like I said, I don't experience this with my other valves.

athomas
10-26-2006, 06:12 AM
The oring that contributes to this, is the regulator assembly oring. Maybe there is a burr in that area of the valve back or on the regulator piston assembly.