PDA

View Full Version : reg leaking on HPA tank

grandprixone
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I have a 3000/68ci PMI pure energy tank and preset reg. I went to fill it up the other day at the field, but immediatly air began coming out of the blow off hole. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to tanks and regulators in general. does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? the closest shop to me wants to charge like $30 to look at it. :cuss: i am hoping i dont have to buy a new one. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

WetworkMerc
10-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I have a 3000/68ci PMI pure energy tank and preset reg. I went to fill it up the other day at the field, but immediatly air began coming out of the blow off hole. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to tanks and regulators in general. does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? the closest shop to me wants to charge like $30 to look at it. :cuss: i am hoping i dont have to buy a new one. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

A good question to ask first off is - How old is the tank?

I ask because PMI introduced a new reg design a little while back (probably a year or two... looks like the indicative mark of the new reg is the inlaid jewel of the Rad Shield emblem.) Found that out when my trusty 68/45 of 3 years came back from the Hydro and started blowin air out of the little pinhole after it's first scenario there-after. Guess some grit got up in the bonnet.

Contacting PMI directly will probably be the best choice, they have the ability to rebuild the regs directly for the older models or ship parts for the newer regs to fix it up. (They say the new regs they offer are much more user friendly to fix.) They troubleshot the leak with me over the phone and were up front on prices.

(I had an older tank, so simply opted for them to go all out and replace the Reg entire with their new style which ended up costing me a little more then what it may have been to just fix it, but since it was fresh from Hydro and now with the new reg, it's like a brand new tank again for me.)

1-800-579-1633 should patch you into their Tech Support.

grandprixone
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks. It is a old reg and tank, just went out of hyrdo for the first time this month :( .

Pneumagger
10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
get it rehydroed.

I could suggest putting half a can fo wd-40 in the fill nipple to Lube the tank. But that would just make a pretty cool explosion.

grandprixone
10-25-2006, 01:49 PM
get it rehydroed.

I could suggest putting half a can fo wd-40 in the fill nipple to Lube the tank. But that would just make a pretty cool explosion.

Sounds extremely entertaining :clap: :headbang: