PDA

View Full Version : lvl 10 questions

sledgebone
10-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Just got a micro with a lvl 10. I took it apart to reinstall it myself. Ive got the right carrier in, the valve leaks with next larger. I am using the red spring as well. When I use 3 shims, the valve will leak, but when I go down to 2 the bolt will sometimes not retract, and sometimes it will retract.When it doesnt retract pulling the trigger resets it. Its a classic valve and has an ans phase 2 on it. Is this as good as Im going to get it?

athomas
10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
When you change carrier size, make sure you don't have the shims in there. It can give you the wrong information as to whether it leaks or not at a given carrier size. Based on your information, I would say you have a carrier that is too tight. Try the next larger carrier without any shims in the powertube and see if that works for you.

sledgebone
10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Im pretty sure I tested the carriers w/o the shims. I will try again tomorrow but I am almost positive it was tested without them and added later.

athomas
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Does it hiss and then stop when you hold the trigger in? Or does it go continually hiss when you hold the trigger? A tiny leak in the on-off top could cause some sticking issues as well.

How is the fit of the level 10 in the micromag? Sometimes they are tight. This could cause sticking. If this is the problem, sand down the outer ridge at the tip of the bolt. It doesn't take much to make it work smoothly.

sledgebone
10-25-2006, 07:19 PM
On the first pull after air up, I held the trigger in. Approx 3 seconds after the pull with the trigger still in, a 1 second hiss came out then stopped. Every pull after that I held in for atleast 10 seconds without a hiss. The fit of the bolt is good, slides in and out freely.
Thank you for your help this far athomas.

SR_matt
10-25-2006, 07:31 PM
check where the lvl 10 vents of so you can tell a little more exacts whats going on.

-matt

sledgebone
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Sounds like its going down the barrel when the bolt wont return from hitting a ball. In the manual it says to add another shim if it wont return. I did that and it just leaked down the barrel continously and wouldnt air up.

SR_matt
10-25-2006, 07:58 PM
how ever stupid and condesending this question sounds it isnt meant to be, did u remember to put the main spring back in? i definatly forgot to do that when i first was working on my mag.

-matt

sledgebone
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Not stupid, I did it too. But, air will vent down the bolt when the bolt will not retract. I am guessing this is normal. I can push it back with my finger to reset it, but it will not retract like in the videos shown to test it.

flyingpootang
10-25-2006, 10:32 PM
When you add more than 2 shims you may have to move to the next loosest carrier. More than 2 shims will squish the carrier o-ring a little more which cause bolt stick. The shims are for tunning when the L10 bolt vents.

sledgebone
10-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I tested today agin using different configurations. The settings that gave the best results were smallest carrier, 2 shims and long spring. Im still getting some bolt stick though. Some times the bolt will retract, and others it will not reset. If I add another shim, will this help? Im still stumped at why the bolts still sticking.

SR_matt
10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
is it sticking forward or just not returning all they way, mine would return all the way but the alst 1-3 mm so i had to push it back.
-matt

sledgebone
10-26-2006, 02:51 PM
If I place a ball half way in the chamber, sometimes it will retract like its supposed too. Others it will stop on the ball, vent and not reset until I pull the trigger again. I guess as long as it doesnt chop, its doing whats its supposed to.

SR_matt
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
hmm go back and try a carrier bigger (how ever crazy it sounds i put the same configuration in my gun and got different results even when i was doing it with in 15 mins)

o also you are using the same carrier oring when u change carriers right?

-matt

athomas
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
If it is venting or has fired a shot but won't reset, then it isn't a shim problem. It is a carrier problem, ie; carrier too tight. Try a different carrier oring and go through the tuning process again. It may be a bad carrier oring that is causing your problems.

flyingpootang
10-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Use 3 shims and the next loosest carrier should cure your problem. To test the L10 place a squigee 1/4" in front of the bolt and fire it. The bolt should reset if not add 1 shim at a time until it dose, but remember the amount of shims dose affect the carrier o-ring tightness. In all 5 of my L10 mags I have 3 shims in it, no leaks, and the L10 is tuned perfect...

sledgebone
10-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I will try a different carrier o-ring and repeat the process over. But first I need to get my tanks filled. Thank you everyone for your help, and I will report my findings in a few days.

Aslan
11-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I had a similar problem when I installed my Level 10, it turned out to be the o-ring. I put in a new carrier o-ring and it worked fine. I have no idea why...but I didn't care because I got it to work with nothing more than a spare o-ring. :clap:

athomas
11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, a bad carrier oring can cause you to use a carrier that is too tight, just to keep it from leaking. Being too tight it causes chuffing and reset problems.