PDA

View Full Version : shorty24 is outta commission... WARNING: rant thread

shorty24
10-25-2006, 07:16 PM
So I was boxing with a friend the week before last, and since we weren't planning on doing much heavy punching that night, I didn't tape my hands. Dumb move... I threw a sloppy punch that caught him at a wierd angle in the back of the head, and the pinky bone in my right hand (5th metacarpal for you medically inclined people) cracked.

Went to the ER, they just slapped on a splint and referred me to a hand surgeon. After 3 days (with no heavy pain meds as I still had to drive to and from school) I finally met with him, and he told me that it wasn't too bad, would heal fine just how it was (the bone, may I inform you, was bent at a 45* angle, so my actual pinky knuckle wasn't even visible, just bone sticking up behind it), and said keep the splint on and see him in 3 weeks.

Well, the bone got shifted even more during the past week, and it's noticeably deforming the whole finger. So on a whim, I went to get a second opinion today. The x-rays show the knuckle sitting at 90* to the rest of the bone, and slightly twisted. So yeah, surgery scheduled for Fri morning, in which they will have to completely rebreak it, straighten it, and set it in place with pins. Now I'm out of a job for another 4-6 weeks, and no more pintballing for a long while...I don't think I can handle it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Douche hand surgeon...of COURSE it'll heal fine when it's still broken... :mad:

Lohman446
10-25-2006, 07:19 PM
You can play paintball with a broken pinkie... trust me

shorty24
10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
well, it's actually a broken hand...soon to be completely immobilised with pins sticking out of it. Let me help illustrate (this was the FIRST set of x-rays, in which I was told it would heal fine just like that):

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9541/handck9.jpg

the knuckle is actually facing the bottom of the palm now...

don miguel
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Ouch! mabe use a single trigger? Dosent require much pinky use. Get well soon. :cry:

warbeak2099
10-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Ouch! mabe use a single trigger? Dosent require much pinky use. Get well soon. :cry:

His whole hand is immobilized. Plus, a hit to that hand or godforbid finger... and he's really in trouble. It would be best not to play at all.

dahoeb
10-25-2006, 08:07 PM
yikes....
yeah i'd definately take a break and let that baby heal, no need to be running and sliding around with pins sticking out of your hand. (assuming the pins are like the temporary external ones that i've seen in broken legs.)

don miguel
10-25-2006, 08:25 PM
His whole hand is immobilized. Plus, a hit to that hand or godforbid finger... and he's really in trouble. It would be best not to play at all.

Good point, When I broke my arm severely, I coulden't play. when it got better and ina cast I could play. Mabe if he gets a hard cast he can play later when it gets better. TO this day I can't bend my arm to well, thank god for AGD's ygrip.

StygShore
10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Wrap it up and use the other hand you sissy!!!

Course, I'm an idiot and played paintball for 8 months with 3 ruptured discs in my lower back, and I couldnt even stand up straight :)

Styg

Lohman446
10-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Good point, When I broke my arm severely, I coulden't play. when it got better and ina cast I could play. Mabe if he gets a hard cast he can play later when it gets better. TO this day I can't bend my arm to well, thank god for AGD's ygrip.

Hehe, you should have seen the look on the doctors face in the ER

DR: Ok, you have a collapsed lung, a bruised spleen, a sprained ankle and bruised ribs. Any questions?

Me: Yeh, can I play paintball tomorrow?

Dr: You have to come back tomorrow to verify your lung quit collapsing

Me: Not till 3, can I play in the morning?

HOMELANDEFENDER
10-25-2006, 09:09 PM
You're going to be needing an alternate hobby to take the place for a while. Sounds petty - but it does help. When I trashed my knee -- I had to stop all the things I love doing: PB, mountainbiking, hiking, ect. I ended up getting realy into my target shooting again. It helped me get through the months of downtime. And I improved my skills.

Get better.

HLD...

StygShore
10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
good time to play some rec ball and practice off hand shooting if you ask me.

Styg

shorty24
10-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Hehe, you should have seen the look on the doctors face in the ER

DR: Ok, you have a collapsed lung, a bruised spleen, a sprained ankle and bruised ribs. Any questions?

Me: Yeh, can I play paintball tomorrow?

Dr: You have to come back tomorrow to verify your lung quit collapsing

Me: Not till 3, can I play in the morning?

OMG...you're serious, aren't you? That's awesome! I remember your post when that happened, actually...them dang tractors just sneak up on you, eh? At least it was only the trailer...

/you are teh winnar!!!!!11!!1

shorty24
10-25-2006, 09:28 PM
oh, and thx for the comments guys, i really appreciate it! :cheers:

sniper1rfa
10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
i shattered my right ring finger. Here is my advice...

Lots and lots of padding.

I was playing and i wacked my hand on a bunker. It drove the pins in my finger entirely out the other side of the bone. So i had a pin on one side of my finger, and a bump where it was poking my skin out on the other.

Nothing a pair of pliers couldnt fix, though. I'll tell you, it is a hell of a relief when they come out, but don't plan on boxing for a long, long time. It takes forever to regain motion in fingers once they've been statonary for a while. I still can't bend my finger, and the pins have been out for a solid month and a half.

I really wish it had been the first knuckle that had broken, rather than the last. Its very hard to stretch the very end knuckle.

MANN
10-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Dont listen to doctors. get a really good splint, and youll be good to go. They HAVE to tell you no paintball/sports

I had a torn MCL (i think its the opposite of ACL. Im no medical genius if you cant tell) and still finished out my senior season in hockey (given I had a HUGE brace) but as long as you dont tell the DR and your parrents than its all OK :ninja:

Kinda odd, but I also had my wisdom teeth pulled the morning of the semifinals game. I was spitting up blood, with a bad knee, but we still pulled out a win

just fyi I ended up with 2 dry sockets a week later, and my knee still hurts (3 years later after surgery) so I may not give the best suggestions. But hey I got to play in the championship game of my senior year (unfortunetly we lost.)

Good luck with the hand

iambored
10-26-2006, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't take the risk BUT I do paintball with a knee that needs to be replaced and all it does is leaves me hopping on one foot for a few days afterwards.
//What I'm saying is don't do anything stupid they don't give him a fancy dr. before his name for nothin

chip08
10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
I hate doctors. I broke the part of my thumb behind the last knuckle in a spring football game, went to the ER afterwards and they said it would be fine. Took the cast off 2 weeks later and it was off about 30 degrees. Three rebrakes (which suck by the way because they dislocate the joint before they rebrake it), two surgeries and three pins later I had a good thumb again. Needless to say I didn't get to workout much for football that summer.