PDA

View Full Version : Advices on barrels would be appreciated: Freak/UL

sTaLa
10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
I have a Freak SS Back with a .689 insert and a 14" front. A guy not so far away from me is selling his UL kit: 3 backs + 14" Front.

I prefer the idea of changing the whole back than only the inserts. But is it worth it? I mean, the guy asks a good price, but I'll still loose money if I sell my Freak...

My concerns are accuracy and quietness. I wonder if the UL is over estimated...

So I'm asking advices from the guys who tried both barrels on the same gun with the same paint.

My first idea was to go on the barrel section on the other forum... but I couldn't really say that the answers would have been advices... anyway

Thanks.

CKY_Alliance
10-25-2006, 10:52 PM
just get a 689 or 688 UL and be done with it..you dont need a kit..but if u want one then the 'UL kit' is the way to go...UL shoot very well.. cheap alternative is the new lucky UN1 barrels..lighter then UL and spose to shoot just as well(so im told on the shooting part)...but if price is right get the Ultralight..it rhymed so it must be true.

The Ul is not overrated..its worth every cent..im told the peppersticks compare and are a lot cheaper but have not tried one..UL are secksi,light, and shoot great. Untill i find a good reliable alternative ill pay the high price..seeing how you can jus buy one used for half the cost..oh ye they are quite, well on my matrix it is but they arent very loud anyways..

Lenny
10-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Actually, I've come into situations where I needed a smaller ID.

I'd go with the Freak. The inserts are interchangable (so you don't need to buy 3 or 4 backs per marker thread).

I love my Freak.

warpfeedmod
10-26-2006, 01:27 PM
ditto on the freak as well from me. I just picked up two of the deadlywind stiffi barrels that accept freak inserts, best thing I Could have gotten. I wish they made them in 12" tho.

PumpPlayer
10-26-2006, 01:33 PM
The freak kits are nice but nothing spectacular, IMO. Many kits have small alignment problems and the tolerance/roughness of the components leaves a bit to be desired. On the plus side, it is very adaptable and you can use a single barrel system for all of your markers if you have a back with each type of thread.

The UL barrels are nice and they do shoot straight. Dye barrels are overrated in general, IMHO, and the UL is no different. It's accurate and a great shooter but it's not half as miraculous as some people seem to claim it is. You still have to aim, you know.

I wouldn't ever fork out fair market price for a UL kit. Not when a good LAPCO barrel is $40-50 and CPs are even cheaper than that if you get them used. Both excellent barrels.

And as with everything, different paint will shoot better or worse with every barrel you have. There's no one kit or barrel that is going to shoot everything perfectly. A lot of players have multiple kits to deal with whatever paint they're using that day.

If you like the freak, keep it.
If you want an UL kit, buy it.

Temo Vryce
10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Barrels are like just about every other aspect of paintball, or life for that matter. If you ask peoples opinion you're going to get it, and a lot of the time it's going to be different from person to person. Personally I like rifled barrels like the Armson lines, but that's my opinion. One thing that I can say for sure is that no two barrels will shoot the same. I don't care if they are same type and manufacture one right after the other, they're not going to shoot the same. If you want to get the UL barrels talk to this guy and see if he will let you play a couple of games with them. If he's serious about selling them and you can show him the cash he's got nothing to lose by letting you try them. Having the chance to try something before you buy is the best advice I can give you on "should I buy X or Y?"

Lohman446
10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
If you are using a marker with detents that are effective when the marker is in ready to fire position (not a cocker) barrel bore will make so little difference as to be unnoticeable.

SR_matt
10-26-2006, 02:30 PM
i like the UL's better than insert kits, heck i like the ul better than most kits over all. if you can find a multi bore back set that is already togeather id pick it up (heck if you dont want all the backs you can find people that will snatch them up).

UL over freak any day for me
-matt

Pneumagger
10-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I say get a DW whisper and go with freak inserts. also... Many machine shops will bore your barrel for inserts if sizing is a problem.

cyrus-the-virus
10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
ditto on the freak as well from me. I just picked up two of the deadlywind stiffi barrels that accept freak inserts, best thing I Could have gotten. I wish they made them in 12" tho.

Colin will cut 2" off then end of the barrel for you if you ask him.

sTaLa
10-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I say get a DW whisper and go with freak inserts. also... Many machine shops will bore your barrel for inserts if sizing is a problem.

If I changed for the UL it would be to get rid of the inserts. I prefer to change the whole back than only the inserts... a tube in an another one may not be perfectly centered...

Anyway... once my freak sold... the UL kit with 3 backs would have cost me around 100$ CAN... maybe I'll stay with my freak, I don't know yet.

glickstue
10-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a Freak SS Back with a .689 insert and a 14" front. A guy not so far away from me is selling his UL kit: 3 backs + 14" Front.

I prefer the idea of changing the whole back than only the inserts. But is it worth it? I mean, the guy asks a good price, but I'll still loose money if I sell my Freak...

My concerns are accuracy and quietness. I wonder if the UL is over estimated...

So I'm asking advices from the guys who tried both barrels on the same gun with the same paint.

My first idea was to go on the barrel section on the other forum... but I couldn't really say that the answers would have been advices... anyway

Thanks.

Buy the UL's and keep the freak. Be a crack head like me and have a an entire shelf full of barrels. That way you can shoot whatever color/shape/size barrel fits your mood for that particular day.

SR_matt
10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Buy the UL's and keep the freak. Be a crack head like me and have a an entire shelf full of barrels. That way you can shoot whatever color/shape/size barrel fits your mood for that particular day.
and then not actualy use any of the barrels except the 3 that fit everything right ;) (thats what happened to me, 2 full kits, 3 barrels that are singles of what can be kits, and 2 solid barrels but i only use 2 of the barrels unless i cant get the paint to fit at all)

-matt

cowboy_00
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Since i am an idiot i thought I would quote a teammate and friend of my in a rather rough translation of his general craziness.

A barrel is just a big stick with a big hole in the center...the real problem with paintball accuracy is paintballs.

and in my own opinion...get the one that fits you and fits the paint you shoot a lot. If you like the fit of the UL get it...if the freaks are just as effective keep em...spend your money on buying good reliable paint.

The only reason i have a kit at all is because our field paint for scenario's varies so much you'll never get the same size twice. (I use an Evil pipe kit)

sTaLa
10-26-2006, 07:35 PM

But I'll always end using the one I preffer :P...

d4m4don3
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM

LOL! I have the same issues. :cry: CP Barrel kit, Freak Kit, Phat kit, and a host of assorted cocker based 1 piece barrels. :tard:

I do find a use for each one every once in a while. :D

cowboy_00
10-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I do find a use for each one every once in a while. :D

the problem isnt owning that many...its finding space in a gear bag...because according to one of murphy's laws.."The one thing you didnt bring 1000 miles to your location, will be the only essential part"