PDA

View Full Version : AGD 1st

b2k2
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
With my wife deployed I spend a lot of my free time tinkering with some guns I am building (z-body mag that will look like the old NES zapper and a cheap old electro that I am putting into a briefcase....) and trolling the fourms. I came across this link in another fourm:

http://www.airgun.com/museum/Gallerys.htm

I was amazed at how many "firsts" and "only" AGD came out with. The thing that amazed me most is that they are one of only 3 surviving paintball gun makers from the 80's. If i had three wishes one would be that they come out with a new marker........ probably not the first wish, but you get the picture. I do get tired of ION toting 12 year-olds calling my mags "oldschool".

;)

peewee
10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
:D I take pride in being called oldschool (or my equipment). But I would buy a new marker from AGD in a heart beat. Not because of the ion youth at the field but because I trust their product.

don miguel
10-27-2006, 07:40 PM
:D I take pride in being called oldschool (or my equipment). But I would buy a new marker from AGD in a heart beat. Not because of the ion youth at the field but because I trust their product.

Oldschool=ubercool. I have to agree, I like old school mags. But if AGD came out with a less expensive Emag or something, I would buy it.

Cow hunter
10-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Oldschool=ubercool. I have to agree, I like old school mags. But if AGD came out with a less expensive Emag or something, I would buy it.

what would be the point of a less expensive Emag? so they would lose money on it? i dont think they cant really do anything to make their markers less expensive without losing quality, and AGD is known for their quality

b2k2
10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
what would be the point of a less expensive Emag? so they would lose money on it? i dont think they cant really do anything to make their markers less expensive without losing quality, and AGD is known for their quality

I think his point was if they could retain the same quality and lessen the price he would buy one, maybe he doesn't have the cash to buy one at current prices. I am still holding on for like a 20th aniversy marker :clap:

cyrus-the-virus
10-28-2006, 07:36 PM
The return of the pump mag?
An ACE'd E-mag?
a LP mag?
A electro pneumatic mag?
A mechanical pneumatic mag?
The X-calssic valve (like the X-valve just with classic mag internals and the RT on/off so it's ULT compatibal)

There are so many ventures AGD could take but the problum is that not enough people WOULD buy their products....

fullofpaint
10-28-2006, 08:32 PM
anyone know the survivng paintballl company's out of curiosity?

I'm guessing Brass Eagle/Sheridan or Tippmann?

cyrus-the-virus
10-28-2006, 08:48 PM
anyone know the survivng paintballl company's out of curiosity?

I'm guessing Brass Eagle/Sheridan or Tippmann?

Nelson is still around.

Head knight of Ni
10-30-2006, 10:43 AM
PMI and ICD(?) as well.

Draken
10-30-2006, 11:30 AM
WGP is also still around

warbeak2099
10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
CCI is still going strong. There's obviously more than 3. Hey didn't Lapco start out in 88 or 89?

Head knight of Ni
10-31-2006, 02:16 PM
CCI is still going strong. There's obviously more than 3. Hey didn't Lapco start out in 88 or 89?

I believe it was meant as a "big three". AGD, WGP, and PMI

AGD
10-31-2006, 06:08 PM
WGP is a Brass Eagle production now so it hardly counts. Tippman is also not owned by the same people. If your going to look at who has survived it should be survival intact.

AGD

SpecialBlend2786
10-31-2006, 07:02 PM
WGP is a Brass Eagle production now so it hardly counts. Tippman is also not owned by the same people. If your going to look at who has survived it should be survival intact.

AGD

Yep, and Brass Eagle is under K2, just like Viewloader and others.

As far as original owners I dunno who is still around. Tom, even you arn't president of AGD anymore :)

AGD
10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Well you have a point, but actually I am still president of AGD. Dave bought the inventory from me, I still own all the infrastructure and patents etc.

AGD

electriceel125
10-31-2006, 07:43 PM
AGD because quality lasts longer.

m-a-r-k-7
10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
PPS, except I think Craig may be running the show instead of Glenn now. But its the same family so it still counts.

Cyberious
11-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Well you have a point, but actually I am still president of AGD. Dave bought the inventory from me, I still own all the infrastructure and patents etc.

AGD

And we miss you just a little more every day. Good to hear from you Tom.

AGD
11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
I am still here lurking every single day. I only respond if its interesting.

AGD

geekwarrior
11-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I am still here lurking every single day. I only respond if its interesting.

AGD

give us some more markers to talk about :p

Doc Nickel
11-03-2006, 01:48 AM
The original Brass Eagle (Canada) got bought out by Daisy in the early 90's, then that division bought itself back from Daisy in the mid-late 90s'. But by that time none of the original people were left, so it was only the "same" in name only.

I don't know if Nelson even makes paintball stuff anymore. I'm told they still make oil-based paintballs, for the original tree-marking purposes, but they're sold only to certain people.

CCI is still around, and still Mike's baby.

AGD, I should point out, was sold (hi Tom!) but is otherwise still pretty much the same company.

WGP got bought out by K2, and much has changed since then. Not the same company at all, and Bud's moved on to other things.

Tippmann got bought out and changed around. PMI actually made little in-house early on. Most of it was made by others and just marketed by PMI (which, by the way, stands for Pursuit Marketing Inc. At least it did.)

ICD is still around, but is not the same company as Line SI from the 80s.

Sheridan is still around, and last I checked they still made the new version of the PGP. Technically they made the early PGP and other brass guns for PMI. Sheridan has restructured a time or two, but they're still essentially the same company.

WDP didn't exist in the 80s. Smart Parts was just barely getting started as the 80s closed- I first heard about their barrels in late '90 or early '91. All they did then was drill holes in barrels they bought straight from the manufacturers, and resold them at a huge markup. Technically the same company though.

Palmer's is still Palmer-owned, one of these days Glenn is going to (or may have already) retire and Craig will take over full time. Same company, same products though.

NPS started in the late 80s, but as I understand it, never manufactured any of their own product until years later. They were just a distributor.

I'm sure I've missed a few, but the gist of it is right- there's only a very small handful of companies left from the ones that started this whole mess (hi, Tom!) back in the 80s.

TASO is gone, bought out by PMI as I recall. AGS, which was either a spin off of TASO or the company that TASO spun out of, was gone before the 90s even started. WinTec is gone, USI is gone, Idema Combat Systems is gone (though Jack himself keeps popping up)...

How about Nitro Duck and APP? Anyone know about them?

Doc.

fullofpaint
11-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Nitro duck still makes air tanks and APP makes a lot of stuff that players use, like the a-5 big mouth hopper, lots of those 4+1 harnesses and stuff like that for entry level players

AGD
11-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Word on the street is that PMI was just bought out by a salvage company. They are supposedly looking at NPS too. So the last of the old guard is going away.

AGD

Cyberious
11-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Word on the street is that PMI was just bought out by a salvage company. They are supposedly looking at NPS too. So the last of the old guard is going away.

AGD

That's OK as far as I'm concerned once You and Bud left there was only one of the original gentlemen of the industry left. And now that Glenn P. is retiring soon that'll be it.

BTW, Tom I took my X-Mag (which is the finest Paintball gun ever made) to a shop after I put the XMod software on it and folks were in awe of just what a great Marker it is even against today's stuff.

I started in this game in 1986 so I saw all of you as you built your companies. I still say that you have two choices in your purchase...Do you want the best marketed product or the best engineered? Time has proven that your design is certainly the best engineered ever. Thank You for your years of dedication to quality.

don miguel
11-04-2006, 08:08 PM
That's OK as far as I'm concerned once You and Bud left there was only one of the original gentlemen of the industry left. And now that Glenn P. is retiring soon that'll be it.

BTW, Tom I took my X-Mag (which is the finest Paintball gun ever made) to a shop after I put the XMod software on it and folks were in awe of just what a great Marker it is even against today's stuff.

I started in this game in 1986 so I saw all of you as you built your companies. I still say that you have two choices in your purchase...Do you want the best marketed product or the best engineered? Time has proven that your design is certainly the best engineered ever. Thank You for your years of dedication to quality.
I have a similar story but this occured today. My friend conor, a new emag owner, was playing with it today. He set it on 30 bps and it shot faster thatn any DM, PM, EGO, or any gun I have ever seen shoot. it was amazing. I have people make fun of me for owning a mag, and some people love it. Those who hate (usually electro toting speedball playing jackholes) think my gun is worthless because it dosent ramp, or have rebound mode. But the ones who love it, they know how accurate automag are and haow awesome they can be. Mine has broken down a couple of times, but those speedballers electros break down everyday. I see them walking up to the proshop in dismay at what is wrong with the ramping chip, or banjo fitting, etc. I like how simple and compact the automag design is, was, and will be. Thanks Tom. :cheers:

Dark Frost17
11-04-2006, 09:08 PM

AGD

that wouldent be good for the market now would it?