PDA

View Full Version : can the lvl 7 bolt be lightened?

pump
10-29-2006, 03:11 PM
just wondering with the ion and every bolt maker trying to make a lighter bolt

could the mag have a milled/lathed up bolt thats lighter and still be strong enough?
since i have access to a machinist i could try ideas out

or what about using a different material, like titanium or aluminum or any other lighter than stainless derivative

just courious.....is all

Lenny
10-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Rogue's trying to do something like that, machining a ULE bolt. It's pretty cool, though it's still in the testing stages.

FiXeL
10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
So you are telling me a lighter bolt is less efficient? I thought the level 10 made it less efficient, not the weight of it.

pump
10-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Remember, the L10 bolt is ~1.2 oz, and it is less efficient than the L7. So lightening it(L7) alone wont have any effect.
but the lvl 10 vents air as it cycles. im guess a lighter bolt is just lighter.....no more or less efficient than a lvl 7

and all i know a lighter bolt will just have less kick and might cycle faster

just sounds like something i would like

st6212
10-30-2006, 02:48 AM
If you want a project, and are doing just for kicks, by all means. Its a great learning experience.:cheers:

Consider this:
1) If lightening the bolt resulted in less kick, then the Level 10 would already do that. The Level 10 bolt weighs in at 1.3 oz, thats 7/10 of an ounce lighter than the stock Level 7 bolt. If there was a noticeable difference in kick, Level 10 users would have noticed it.

2) The XValve is already capable of cycle rates of ~26cps. Zak Vetter shot a stock XValved mag at 31bps. Lightening the bolt will not result in any noticeable difference in cycle speed, as the cycle speed is limited by the recharge rate of the valve not the weight of the bolt.

Food for thought.

Since reduced kick, faster cycling, or gas efficiency isn't going to be a noticeable outcome of a lighter bolt, what do you expect to achieve with your RPG ULE bolt?

In the thread you hadn't described the aim of the RPG ULE bolt is, other than being the lightest bolt available for the mag. From this statement "I am telling you in a mag that a lightening the bolt alone does not change the efficiency.", is this a subtle way of telling us that your also redesigning/modding how the bolt works with the valve/powertube?

st6212
10-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Something other than just reducing its weight ;)

That was intentional. Ive learned from other mfr's misfortune that describing more than absolutely necessary can allow others to beat you to the finish.

But in telling you "I am telling you in a mag that lightening the bolt alone does not change the efficiency." was only to say that if lightening it alone had those effects, that AGD would already have done it :D

LOL....Rogue....can't...stand...you...being...so.. ..secretive! haha!

May just have to turn into a :ninja: and do a bit of recon...hehe. :D

BigEvil
10-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Something other than just reducing its weight ;)

That was intentional. Ive learned from other mfr's misfortune that describing more than absolutely necessary can allow others to beat you to the finish.

But in telling you "I am telling you in a mag that lightening the bolt alone does not change the efficiency." was only to say that if lightening it alone had those effects, that AGD would already have done it :D

Too bad we just cant widen the powertube and fatten the valve stem.. :headbang:

Lenny
10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Wait. Why wouldn't it make it more efficient? With a lighter bolt, you could lighten the bolt spring, and further reduce your velocity, decreasing the amount of air firing a ball.

So, why wouldn't it increase efficiency?

Oh, and the original Superbolt was a screw up. You can't really compare any bolt to it. (Especially with the delrin problem it had...)

Lenny
10-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Thats just silly. The first Superbolt wasnt a screw-up. Tom pulled it because the production models delrin sleeve didnt hold up over time, would crack and become a projectile. Otherwise, the bolt worked just fine. He was already working on the Anti-Chop Level 10, so there was little reason to try to resolve the sleeve issue.

I have 2 of them here, and use them daily. If youve owned one, youd know they can be compared. :wow:

Re-read. Keyword: alone ;)

Ok, my bad on the Superbolt thing. They just had a big problem and shouldn't have been released as immediately. AGD should've resolved it, then produced it. I guess that's closer to what I meant.

And I guess I was right, but then, never really wrong to begin with. Sometimes my eyes skip over details... :tard:

I'm still looking forward to your ULE bolt, though. :D

(If you need a beta tester, I'm in!)

BigEvil
10-30-2006, 01:44 PM
There is no spoon :ninja:

I have faith in ya Rogue.... :)