PDA

View Full Version : ION Body on Mags

Sk8ermog
10-30-2006, 03:00 AM
My last ION was stolen so I haven't had one for awhile and I was just wondering if anyone had a spare ION body and a Mag ULE body that they can put together to see if they fit together. Mainly just want to know how much space is between the ULE body and the ION body. I'm sure with enough milling an ION metal body could be modded to a ULE body. I just want to know how hard it would be. So if someone can post some pictures or tell me what you think that would be great. Thanks.

Lenny
10-31-2006, 12:29 AM
I asked this kind of thing a little while ago over in the Workshop forum, and I got jack for responses...

Good luck.

Sk8ermog
10-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah whats up with that. Might be a good thing to know that most automag owners don't have IONs. lol Well I'm tempted to just buy a cheap plastic ION body and try it out. Might just stop in at the local shop too. I think with one of the newer ION bodies and a little milling there could be a beautiful marriage between the ULE and ION bodies. Worth a try.

pump
10-31-2006, 02:26 AM
my friend has a p mag with an ion body.....quite nice

Sk8ermog
10-31-2006, 02:38 AM
Would love to see pictures. Does he have a ULE body or a PF body? Also is it a plastic ION body or what? Any slop or space between the bodies?

pump
10-31-2006, 02:43 AM
Would love to see pictures. Does he have a ULE body or a PF body? Also is it a plastic ION body or what? Any slop or space between the bodies?
its one of those ion bodies that are metal hummmmm pic was on ebay in the summer

ill try and ask him

Lenny
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I always thought it'd be cool to mod a metal one over a ULE just for color contrast. I think it'd look sweet. Blue over chrome... and it'd be called P. Exeter Blue I, after Deadsy's lead singer's "character" name (my absolute favorite band. Phantasmagor, buy it NOW!).

m-a-r-k-7
10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
I like this Idea, I'm kinda curious it It'll work

Lenny
11-03-2006, 02:33 AM
So... How about an update?

Sk8ermog
11-05-2006, 04:25 AM
lol an update? I'm waiting to hear from anyone also. If someone wants to send me a stock ION body then I'll try it and see. I can get one for like $10 on PBnation, but I don't really want to spend the money just to see if it would work.

The main problem I'm seeing now is that the ION body wouldn't just slip over the top of a ULE body, but it would have to be cut on the bottom so the bottom part of the ION sleeve body would fit over the ULE body. The problem is how do you keep it there? Maybe there could be a way to melt the rail with the body sleeve so you could just slide the ULE body into it... hmmmm. I think I have a new project I need to email LUKE about... Might do some photoshop work with it first to see if it would look right. I'll post those later.

Duzzy
11-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Forgive my ignorance but why couldn't you unscrew the feedneck on the ULE, slide the Ion body over the ULE, and then screw the feedneck back in?

pump
11-05-2006, 06:36 AM
why even use a ULE?

my friends Pmag just has the ion body, not too sure how its on there but looks as if it just slid in

Lenny
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
If you just cut the bottom and slid the body over, it should hold on pretty well, considering it's circular similar to a ULE. A slot or hole will have to be drilled for the air line, though.

Does anyone have any pics?

Sk8ermog
11-06-2006, 12:40 AM
I suggested using the ULE body cause it's the thinest and lightest body. If weight doesn't matter then you could use a power-feed or center feed body if you wanted. I believe a bit more modding would be needed. As for just using an ION body... well you would have to have an Ion body that fits around the valve perfectly so that the bolt doesn't wabble around when you shoot it. I highly doubt your friend has just an Ion body for a mag body. I'm sure with a ton of modding you could do it, but is it worth it?

As for why you just can't slip the ION body over the ULE body is because the ION bodies have the lower part that would cause a gap between the rail and the body which would cause lots of problems. The mag basically couldn't shoot if the body wasn't tight against the rail.

So back to my original idea. Did a little fast photoshoping and I don't think it will work in the end. A mag body and valve aren't as wide or as long as an ION from what I remember. Again this would be easier if I had an ION to compare with. Anyways it really doesn't look like it's going to work. Here are my easy/cheeses fast photoshop ideas with the 2 best ION bodies I liked.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f361/rgunn4/ionmag2.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f361/rgunn4/ionmag1.jpg

pump
11-11-2006, 09:37 PM
im sorry but i was mistaken with my friends pump mag, we both thought it was an Ion body but after taking it apart is a milled up mag body just exposing parts of the mag, it is also similar to an ion body we both though it was...

MY BAD