PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new PC

MaD_SaM
11-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Hello fellow AO'ers I’m looking for as much help as possible in regards to buying an Alien Ware PC. I have heard that there systems are very over priced and that you’re better off building your own. I know enough to build my own, but haven’t the time to do so. So im looking to buy an Alienware System I am still uncertain if it’s going to be a PC or laptop. Now my question is has any one here in AO ever owned an AlienWare PC or do you know anyone who does? And if so what are your thoughts, comments in regards to there Systems and Customer service. Any and all comments will be very helpful.

Hexis
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
For a laptop, buy away, it's much better to buy a good laptop, then to try to build one from whitebox components.

For a Desktop (Tower, whatever style case), why are you stuck on Alien Ware? Do some shopping. Check Dell (they own ALienWare anyways). Check other high end gaming places. At least check out the field.

Also, buying one pre-built will not save you all that much time. A few days at most. You will prob want to reinstall the OS in either case so you can have a clean install.

Pneumagger
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Black Friday, tent, buddies... 'nuff said

robnix
11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Hello fellow AO'ers I’m looking for as much help as possible in regards to buying an Alien Ware PC. I have heard that there systems are very over priced and that you’re better off building your own. I know enough to build my own, but haven’t the time to do so. So im looking to buy an Alienware System I am still uncertain if it’s going to be a PC or laptop. Now my question is has any one here in AO ever owned an AlienWare PC or do you know anyone who does? And if so what are your thoughts, comments in regards to there Systems and Customer service. Any and all comments will be very helpful.

Alienware recently denied Hexus,net a review PC on the basis of a recent article stating that while the Alienware PC's performed well, there were several manufacturers that had lower priced systems that had better performance. Expect to pay 20% more for an alienware system compared to a comparable prebuilt, and 30-40% more than building your own and shopping online at some place like Newegg.

robnix
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Also, If you're looking at laptops, there are whitebox manufacturers like Sager that use the EXACT same chassis as Alienware, and will sell you the system for much less. Clevo is one of the many companies that builds these's chassis'.

MaD_SaM
11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
So you’re mainly paying for the name brand rather then the hardware. Iv actually built a PC on Newegg before. I just never got around to it, and I was also saving up to buy my Automag! But now that I have my baby I am looking to get back into gaming. That’s why I primarily looked at AlienWare first. Sorry I forgot to mention that this PC will only be used for gaming. CS: Source and DoD: Source.

robnix
11-01-2006, 03:20 PM
So you’re mainly paying for the name brand rather then the hardware. Iv actually built a PC on Newegg before. I just never got around to it, and I was also saving up to buy my Automag! But now that I have my baby I am looking to get back into gaming. That’s why I primarily looked at AlienWare first. Sorry I forgot to mention that this PC will only be used for gaming. CS: Source and DoD: Source.

You're paying for a name, and for a single point of support. If you buy from Newegg, you'll need to contact the manufacturer of the part for support.

d4m4don3
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
You're paying for a name, and for a single point of support. If you buy from Newegg, you'll need to contact the manufacturer of the part for support.

I used to work for newegg, slavedriver I tell you!! :tard:
Newegg has a customer service line thats constantly listened in on by its managers they cannot and will not provide you any tech support besides pointing you to the manufacturer. The company will bend over for you if you pester them enough though.
More than half of their IT staff is overseas though so you will see a bunch of typos in their product descriptions.

Altimas
11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I will say this www.ibuypower.com has some good deals and their customer service is superb and their prices are decent as well. I have used them to help other people buy computers like for our church and some family members. My First Big Gaming PC was from them. If I ever had a problem with a peice of hardware they just sent me a new one. But that rarely happened. Although I will say building one is much cheaper.

Thordic
11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/

I have one, and my brother purchased one from them about a year after I did. I know others who have purchased from them as well.

Fully configurable to your needs, decent pricing. If you are too lazy to build the PC yourself (which was my problem), its a good solution.

Their techs are pretty good at assembling their PCs as well. You can pay extra for "Professional wiring", but I find that their standard wiring is done very well. You don't have cables hanging all over the place like some other manufacturers.

You could beat their prices by doing it yourself on NewEgg, but if you are like me, its not worth the effort of buying a pile of different components and then assembling yourself.

personman
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I was about to post cyberpowerinc. I've never actually bought from them but I've read alot of good things. The only things I've read bad about them is occasionally they ship out a computer with a mobo that is DOA.. but they've probably fixed that by now, its been years since I've read site reviews for them.

WaffleBaron
11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Sager Laptops are great.

As far as desktops go, get what will do what you want it to do, and maybe then some.

Big Money:
Falcon Northwest
Voodoo

Money:
Alienware
Monarch

More Mid range:
Monarch (some)
Ibuypower
Cyberpower

You can even check pricewatch if you want whitebox.

MaD_SaM
11-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Thank you every one, you guys were very helpful. I will be looking into all the sites you have suggested. If anyone else has any comments please post them.

Thordic
11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
The only things I've read bad about them is occasionally they ship out a computer with a mobo that is DOA.. but they've probably fixed that by now, its been years since I've read site reviews for them.

Hrm, never heard of this issue. It must have been resolved a while ago. They have gained a pretty solid reputation for quality and price.

Dharma punk
11-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey Sam, get in touch with me. I can come out and help you build it or build it at my place and deliver it to you if you're looking into a tower. I'm not dead yet, just got annoyed with TMB when Illuminati fell apart.