PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

damageINC
11-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Hey all....so I'm finally going to be purchasing a marker after all those years of blah tippman's. I've basically narrowed it down to one of two markers: either the new Mini from invert, or a decent ule mag. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the (+/-) for an electro versus a mechanical.....one thing please be as unfanboi-ish as possible with your opinions and experience.

I will say that I got to fire the Mini and it feel very well balanced and is extremely comfortable.....don't like the idea of having to feed it batteries, and the idea of having electronic parts like eyes kind of scares me. But I haven't so much as seen a real mag before. What's the trigger pull like? Anyway.....I'd love to hear what more experienced and OBJECTIVE AOer's have to say about this. One quick note.....is it true that ult's and pnuen-mag's are often banned from fields (I live in socal)? Thanks everyone.

Triangle
11-02-2006, 04:06 AM
For the Money you spend on the all ULE mag, you'll have paid for the invert, and possibly a tank or a force-fed hopper.

It just depends on what you want.

While Simon/Manike has never given us every reason to dislike any of the markers he's worked on, I would still wait it out.

Because I grew up shooting mags and I've got my prized dallara, I'd go for the new Invert Mini, but only because I'd had my fill of mags, and am looking for something else.

I live in Socal, what fields are you talking about?
I've played Jungle Island, SC village, Velocity, Mr. Paintball and Weekend Warriors, all of which I shot my mag.

I've never heard of any of the SoCal fields banning mags/Pmags.

flyingpootang
11-02-2006, 05:20 AM
RT type markers where banned from most tourneys and some fields because of run away. The higher the input pressure on a RT valve the faster the run away. I think most people will not even rember an AutoMag anymore, but those who do will likely only think of shoot down. I have sold almost all of my non AGD stuff and replaced it with all electromags. In my opinion you would be better off buying a non AGD electro because you get more for your money. I like shooting my Mags because their getting rare on the field and making all the players that remember mags think that I'm not a threat because I'm using an out of date marker. Little do they know just how advanced the L10 & Xmod is and how I have no problem keeping up with the best of them. As for the eyes you should have any problem with them they are very dependable.

flyboy
11-02-2006, 08:43 AM
I just recently made the same move. I chose a mag because of the simplicity of it. I had fired a team mates automag and liked the feel of it and the size. I've also used Dm's, Bob longs and my sons VF tactical autococker.

I really didnt care that it was old technology. It works. Parts and support are easy to find. Used ones in good shape are abundant and save money.

I've never been one to be caught up in any "gotta have the latest" thing. Buy what works for you.

My son was using the second Emag at a scenario this weekend and some kid with a space gun (I think it was a Dm5) asked him "what kind of spyder is that" - wisely my son just smiled and kept walking.

geekwarrior
11-02-2006, 09:39 AM
i'd wait for a couple of months if you go with the mini, just to see if there are any bugs to be worked out....

PanzerGen
11-02-2006, 10:06 AM
If you are interested in ULE mags, check out themagsmith.com. I bought an 06 Paradigm Pro in May and I am quite happy with it. It comes stock with the ULE On/Off so the trigger pull is fairly light and crisp. I think that it is a great value for the money if you do not want an electro.

PS- Why are people still saying that the RT is still banned at fields. I have not encountered this at the field occasionally I go to and pictures of them at serenio events can be found in maginizes like Action Pursuit Games(The last issue had a review of the E-Tac and several mag pictures in it.)

damageINC
11-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still debating the merits of both systems. I kind of like the idea of no external hoses on the mini....and like I said before it's small and well balanced: too bad it's not mech. I've actually got a potential ule mag for about the same price as the mini lined up.....but I'll need to act soon if I want it. I suppose I could buy the mag and if I don't like it turn around and sell it if I end up liking the mini better. Guess I'll make a decision in the next couple of days.

Ole Unka Phil
11-02-2006, 01:59 PM
RT type markers where banned from most tourneys and some fields because of run away. The higher the input pressure on a RT valve the faster the run away. I think most people will not even rember an AutoMag anymore, but those who do will likely only think of shoot down.

Wrong. Absolutely wrong... Why are you sheep here allowing this to go unchallenged? I give up.... There is so much totaly wrong in those two statements its hopeless. Go ahead and repeat the mindless ignorant drivel. I give up. Maybe most of the rest of you have too.... :cry:

lasrsktr
11-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still debating the merits of both systems. I kind of like the idea of no external hoses on the mini....and like I said before it's small and well balanced: too bad it's not mech. I've actually got a potential ule mag for about the same price as the mini lined up.....but I'll need to act soon if I want it. I suppose I could buy the mag and if I don't like it turn around and sell it if I end up liking the mini better. Guess I'll make a decision in the next couple of days.

where abouts in so cal are you... I would gladly let you shoot around with one of my mags... I will be at HSP Friday evening...

If thats easy for you... i will be around...shoot me a PM and we can talk there.

i will even have some form of two mags for sale shortly although non with an X-valve...

teufelhunden
11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Wrong. Absolutely wrong... Why are you sheep here allowing this to go unchallenged? I give up.... There is so much totaly wrong in those two statements its hopeless. Go ahead and repeat the mindless ignorant drivel. I give up. Maybe most of the rest of you have too.... :cry:

If the RT is set up to bounce and run away, and the user is allowing it to perform as such, I'd expect it to be pulled from any field/tournament the same way that a runaway electro should.

Otherwise, if you [player, not Cphil specifically] aren't exploiting the design of the RT 'Mag to circumvent the stated rules on what's a legal firing "mode" then you should be all set.

Ole Unka Phil
11-02-2006, 02:41 PM
If the RT is set up to bounce and run away, and the user is allowing it to perform as such, I'd expect it to be pulled from any field/tournament the same way that a runaway electro should.

Otherwise, if you [player, not Cphil specifically] aren't exploiting the design of the RT 'Mag to circumvent the stated rules on what's a legal firing "mode" then you should be all set.

Excellent.... now attack the reference to "many" and the shoot down instead of shoot up and RT crono proceedures.... also address the common mistake of the Tippmann RT system.... I got no stomach for it all anymore.... :D

teufelhunden
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Excellent.... now attack the reference to "many" and the shoot down instead of shoot up and RT crono proceedures.... also address the common mistake of the Tippmann RT system.... I got no stomach for it all anymore.... :D

I don't see any "manys" but I do see a most and some ;) And it's more like some/a few. Ignorance of people, really, but also based in [what I've perceived as] rampant abuse of RT valves.

RT is silly to chrono :)

'Mag RT can be just as bad as Tippmann RT, but as stated before, it doesn't have to be :) Just, seemingly, ends up like that a lot. Plus, given how easy some adjustable systems are to adjust without tools, I don't blame some field owners for saying no RT mags [at least to people they don't know/recognize as legit]

Lupis Fidelis
11-02-2006, 07:51 PM
I played for about a year with my ULE RT and then I picked up an ego because it was smaller, lighter and the ROF was killer.

I used the ego for a little over a year and began to feel very "disconnected" with it.

Once I became used to the speed I kind of "got over it".

I found myself not satisfied with en electric marker.... I really didn't need it. I play 26 hour scenario games and durability and reliability (ego = batteries died, eyes would get dirty and marker would turn off if it wasn't fired for a certain amount of time) are much more important to me than lightness or ROF. This sounds weird but the ego felt too light... It just doesn't work for me.

I will not lie and tell you that ROF means nothing or that it's no fun to play with a "ripper"...

I opted for the best of both worlds and bought an Emag. I love the feel of the mag and the trigger pull (no ULT) of a mag. I now have the option of Emode but to be honest I rarely use it, but it is nice to have just in case :ninja:

If you're used to Tippmanns I think you will be very impressed by a mag, they are a lot lighter and with the right set up can be very comfortable. I wish I could say more about the Mini but I don't know much about them. I still have my ego but I usually choose my mag instead.

Homer
www.deadringerspb.com

damageINC
11-03-2006, 03:58 AM
@lasrsktr: Thanks for the offer...but I'm soooo busy at work for the next few weeks that there's just no way. All the same, it's cool to have people around here that are down for helping out. Maybe some other time....I live in Costa Mesa, btw.

As for the mag question.....I have a couple more questions (most of which could be answered if I shot one, but I can't right now). First, I've heard that ule and rt mags are back heavy....is there any truth to this and would swapping in a chimera frame offset this any? Second, what kind of rof are we talking about with the ult kit installed? Thanks again for all the insight (think I might get the mag......if I don't like it I can always sell it and buy a mini).