PDA

View Full Version : Something I don't understand about 2 piece barrels . . .

slateman
11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
If the back is a certain bore length, then doesn't the tip have to be larger? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a close bore to paint match? I mean, wouldn't that make it that you're really only using the back 4-7 inches of the barrel?

Lohman446
11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Correct. In the rain I generally remove the front piece of two piece barrels - they do work to quiet down the marker, and give you a longer tube to "aim" down.

Armory
11-02-2006, 10:07 AM
This used to be one the great battles in the 90's 1 peice vs 2 piece. 1 peices are more consistant than 2 peices becuase its a solid continuous surface where as the 2 peice changes bores.... But yeah its an old school battle...

bamf-hacker
11-02-2006, 10:17 AM
The back 6 inches are the most important part of the barrel to bore match.

That is the reasoning for most barrel backs being 6 inches long.

Lohman446
11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
This used to be one the great battles in the 90's 1 peice vs 2 piece. 1 peices are more consistant than 2 peices becuase its a solid continuous surface where as the 2 peice changes bores.... But yeah its an old school battle...

Theoretically. TK showed that a shorter control bore was more consistant and, well two pieces tended to have a shorter control bore than one pieces

SR_matt
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
the tip ends up beign there mroe to stabilize the ball as the air escapes out the porting. so its not totaly pointless. the back gives teh acceleration, then since the tip is not in contact as much as the back was the ball will not slow down from friction as the air escapes behind it.

now after saying that i love my day one piece al barrel i have.
-matt

iambored
11-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Why waste time using barrels when you can use sling-shots?
Or Blow-Guns?
Or even better a 2' ID Pipe filled with paintballs angeled up 45* and has a LP Tank, reg, and 250 psi handled valve? :wow:

:rofl:

don miguel
11-02-2006, 05:54 PM
hope this helps:
webdog radio on barells (http://webdog.specialopspaintball.com/video/tipclip/WDR11.wmv)
EDIT: thanks tiger for making this post possible.

hitech
11-02-2006, 06:35 PM
I mean, wouldn't that make it that you're really only using the back 4-7 inches of the barrel?

:clap:

warbeak2099
11-02-2006, 06:39 PM
hope this helps:
webdog radio on barells (http://webdog.specialopspaintball.com/video/tipclip/WDR11.wmv)

Hey hey hey, that was an incredibly useful post Don. Welcome to AO.

And yea, the purpose is not defeated since the only part of the barrel that really matters for performance is the first 6-8".

/I was serious about Don
//Keep it up buddy :clap:

buzzboy
11-02-2006, 06:52 PM
The unported controll bore for most 2 piece barrels is probably the most accurate thing out there. I had an ultralight on my BKO and it was the most accurate barrel I have ever shot WITH ALL PAINT(cheap, expensive and mid range). Just was a tad loud.

SR_matt
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
well also some of that has to do with consistancy in the bore of the barrel and the shape of the out side of teh barrel (for aiming purposes)

-matt

pbzmag
11-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Why waste time using barrels when you can use sling-shots?
Or Blow-Guns?
Or even better a 2' ID Pipe filled with paintballs angeled up 45* and has a LP Tank, reg, and 250 psi handled valve? :wow:

:rofl:

Not to hijack but this must be the ultimate sling-shot!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=182394&stc=1&d=1160091509

FiXeL
11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I've used the 2-piece and solid barrels, and to be honest, if the paint you are shooting is matching, i really see no difference in accuracy. The only difference will be the report of the gun.
I have a bunch of barrels here, and my personal favorites are the Lapco bigshot, (12" one piece) and the Redz Pepperstick (with 14" tip)

Only difference would be that the reds barrel has different backs, and is more silent than the lapco (atleast that is what others tell me) and the lapco barrel has a bit louder report than the reds, but overall i can shoot accurate with both. Personally i like the lapco best, simply because it is a one piece barrel and a bit shorter.

I'm thinking of buying a stiffi one piece barrel... Are they any good?

Rudz
11-03-2006, 09:51 AM
hope this helps:
EDIT: thanks tiger for making this post possible.

he found the search button guys..he might be salvagable afterall

FiXeL
11-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Cut him some slack... He has seen the errors of his ways, and is trying to be a good AO member. You should compliment instead. :nono:

Btw, i forgot to mention this when i posted, but the report of a barrel differs from gun to gun. When i shot a unported barrel with my autococker it sounded alot louder than when i use it on my mag. It was loud when i used it on both a DM4 and a Autococker, but not on a xmag. Also i recently aquired a Maverick pump, and that thing is really loud.. So i must state that sound signature of a given barrel is also affected by the type of marker, and the type of valve/airchamber it uses to produce a shot. I know, this has nothing to do with 2 piece barrels or accuracy, but i would like to point this out.

ZEROte
11-03-2006, 10:26 AM
ao really critizes way to much lately.

i picked up an evil pipe for 40 bucks the only catch was that it was with a barrel adapter. anyone see any difference when using a barrel adapter?

craltal
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
ao really critizes way to much lately.

i picked up an evil pipe for 40 bucks the only catch was that it was with a barrel adapter. anyone see any difference when using a barrel adapter?

you'll loose any gain of paint matching due to the large bore of the adapter.

As for Fixel's question about the Stiffi barrels, my experience is that they are very quiet barrels, just make sure you follow the squeegee instructions otherwise you will have some problems

Aslan
11-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Also i recently aquired a Maverick pump, and that thing is really loud.

My Trracer is mecha loud as well...of course, essentially the same marker...so I guess I just second the comment. :tard:

jenarelJAM
11-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Actually, we're all just spoiled... mags are some of the quietest markers out there. Several times I've gone out, and people say to me "whoa! that thing is silent!"
I was actually a little disappointed that my viking was "loud" compared to it... :rolleyes:

pyrodragon
11-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Actually, we're all just spoiled... mags are some of the quietest markers out there. Several times I've gone out, and people say to me "whoa! that thing is silent!"
I was actually a little disappointed that my viking was "loud" compared to it... :rolleyes:

shoebox shockers with an all american barrel are deadly quiet.

PumpMag
11-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I get that response all the time. That's one of the cool benefits of shooting a Mag. :shooting:

FSU_Paintball
11-18-2006, 09:53 PM
To answer the original question... the front part of the barrel quite often is larger bore than the back half for that very reason.

Also i recently aquired a Maverick pump, and that thing is really loud.. So i must state that sound signature of a given barrel is also affected by the type of marker, and the type of valve/airchamber it uses to produce a shot.

Put a barrel on an Ego... it's much louder than on a Matrix.

But the reason the Maverick is so loud is that 1-piece unported barrel. A Maverick Deluxe was my first marker, and that thing sounded like a damn shotgun.

SR_matt
11-19-2006, 11:21 AM
^^ also nelsons are loud becasue of the way the valve train is set up and becasue of the psi used
-matt