PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a Mag owner! (Rate my planned setup)

TheYield
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Hello all. I've been playing paintball for some time now. My marker of choice has been a Spyder project that I've been upgrading and tweaking over time. I'm closing in on the last steps of that project and I am looking twards a new marker that is completely mechanical.

What I've come up with is this...

RT ULE Custom; this is the marker I want. Very small, very light (as I've bee told) and will work well with a Q loader.

Going from the options that the Airgun Designs site gives me...

RT ULE Custom
Black X-Valve
Left feed body black
Y-Grip flat black
ULE Trigger pull kit
Kila detent black

Now I've been told that if I do not want to use those big ugly sight rails that come on the marker that I have to change the "rail" ? Otherwise I'll have a bunch of empty screw holes all over the marker? If someone could help me out with understanding that bit I would appreciate it.

That aside -- I was going to hook a Q loader up to that left feed body. Which should be nice as I'll be able to look right down the whole top of the marker body with no obstruction. Good times.

Also, I planned on hooking up macroline to replace the steel braid it comes with. Are the fittings on the X-valve intake metric? As in will it accept standard macroline fittings? I'm going to be using a large drop forward ASA combo which will (of course) be metric.

Now... I have a load of Spyder threaded barrels (including a Freak kit and an Apex). Will those ULE bodies accept something like a Lapco barrel adapter? Anyone know for sure?

Well that's all the question's I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

buzzboy
11-05-2006, 12:29 PM
That setup sounds like it should work very well for you. You will have a small/light/fast mech. Do you play woods or speed? The Xvalve fittings are(I'm pretty sure) NPT sizes though I doubt there will be problems attaching standard drop forwards and Macro. Also IIRC the RTPro doesn't come with any fittings so you can decide how you want to do it yourself. A lapco barrel adapter(if its AC to spyder) should work fine but I would recomend just getting an AC threaded barrel.

Welcom to the Forums! :)

TheYield
11-05-2006, 02:10 PM
That setup sounds like it should work very well for you. You will have a small/light/fast mech. Do you play woods or speed? The Xvalve fittings are(I'm pretty sure) NPT sizes though I doubt there will be problems attaching standard drop forwards and Macro. Also IIRC the RTPro doesn't come with any fittings so you can decide how you want to do it yourself. A lapco barrel adapter(if its AC to spyder) should work fine but I would recomend just getting an AC threaded barrel.

Welcom to the Forums! :)

Thanks for the info. I'm mostly a speedball player but I've been known to ball in the woods.

I'm just sick of batteries and delicate electronics lol.

For speedball use, I hear this setup I have in mind is easily capable of 15bps or even more. Which is faster than I'll ever shoot. I'm very conservative when I play.

SR_matt
11-05-2006, 03:40 PM
for your bps, yes it can hit near that speed but to get it to that easily you shouldnt use macro (becasue you need an adjustable out put tank adjsuted to at least 1000 psi out put) and you will have to play with your ult kit some what (i got mine to go pretty good but it is "improperly" set up and will casue some wear faster supposedly)

if you dont want the site rail you can get a different main rail (i call it main rail to seperate it from teh site rails, the rail is the part inbetween the body and trigger frame that everything is held togather with) put on it from the factory (if you call they can make the gun almsot any way you want as long as they have the parts)

dont forget a foregrip if you want one.

i hope this helps
-matt

Triangle
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Better get the red parts instead of the black, your marker will shoot faster that way

TheYield
11-05-2006, 06:27 PM
for your bps, yes it can hit near that speed but to get it to that easily you shouldnt use macro (becasue you need an adjustable out put tank adjsuted to at least 1000 psi out put) and you will have to play with your ult kit some what (i got mine to go pretty good but it is "improperly" set up and will casue some wear faster supposedly)

if you dont want the site rail you can get a different main rail (i call it main rail to seperate it from teh site rails, the rail is the part inbetween the body and trigger frame that everything is held togather with) put on it from the factory (if you call they can make the gun almsot any way you want as long as they have the parts)

dont forget a foregrip if you want one.

i hope this helps
-matt

Very good info, thanks. Ya I have a Nitro Duck tank that has an adjustable output. Macroline can't handel 900+ PSI? Also, at LEAST 1000psi !? How is that done? If I REALLY crank the valve open on my tank it tops out @ around 950ish, maybe a little less. And there are tanks out there that can go higher!?

Good info on rail situation. So the factory can put on a main rail that has no sightrail mounts? Excellent.

Nice to know that the gun doesn't come with front grip. I'm gonna want one for sure.

SR_matt
11-05-2006, 07:14 PM
well the gun can come with a foregrip but many people do not like the "bike grip" which is also a gas through grip. you can get other grips that are not gas throughs and only act as a grip.

950 psi might get the job done to get "bounce" but you can get systems with more out put (IIRC you can get your nitroduct "shimmed" to out put higher) there are some systems that can out put 1200+.
let me ask how you want your gun to shoot, do you just want it to be walkable or do you want the RT/bounce/sweetspot/what ever u want to call it in your trigger? if you want the bounce the best way would be to get a high psi input but if you just want it walkable you can get away with just shimming your ult (well you might be able to, some can some cant).

and about the macro not holding 1k, well it will hold it at first but it might not after a while, it is really best to get SS lining and if u really want it to look nicer you can get heat shrink to cover it.

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=462&categoryID=10 if u look at the pic here you see how the boddy sits on a nother piece. that piece is the rail, in that pic it is a "wingless tac rail" its a nice rail (i have it on my gun, it wasnt my first choice but i am happy with it now)

i hope this helps
-matt

FiXeL
11-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Some adjustible regs can go higher, up to 1200 psi, like the armageddon regs. You can actually use macroline with it, but it is not reccomended because the macro could fail at that pressure. (depends on the rating) Also a braided hose will give you more flow, and the reassurance it won't blow up in your face. Personally i like macro better because it looks cleaner, and up to now i never had a blown hose yet.

$tevo
11-05-2006, 07:31 PM
you can also look at the site: www.themagsmith.com

they have some mags on that. i dont know if they have warp feed bodies though?? but its worth a shot. sounds like you are going to get one badass mag, enjoy it!

TheYield
11-05-2006, 11:32 PM
you can also look at the site: www.themagsmith.com

they have some mags on that. i dont know if they have warp feed bodies though?? but its worth a shot. sounds like you are going to get one badass mag, enjoy it!

Actually, that's not a bad idea to have them build a mag for me. I was talking to a friend of mine who pretty much talked me out of a left feed body.

His reasoning is that if my Q-loader system borks up I'll have the fall-back of being able to use traditional hoppers.

And the mags they make have everything I want save for the Y-grip, which I could always get later on.

All I'd have to do is add a drop and a competent ASA. Sounds good to me! :headbang:

spike_ball999
11-06-2006, 01:21 AM
You could build a mag entirely from scratch parts rather than have one built for you. If you know how to get deals, or if you're just lucky, you can get a great gun for a nice price. Most, if not all parts can be found here in the Buy Sell Trade forums.

For example, I've only put $250 into my mag right now
Intelliframe - New $115
Classic Valve - New $200? (I kinda don't know for sure)
AM/MM rail - New $40
Level 10 bolt system $85

I got all that in one marker for $170 with some extra stuff. It's all I kept that's on my current one.

ULE body - New $145 - I got it for $80

Of course I still have about $200 more to go. :p

There's multiple options in buying a mag. Look around and see what you like best.

jenarelJAM
11-06-2006, 03:17 AM
If you're planning on shooting 15bps with a mech mag, you're doing one of two things:
1. Planning on rapid-firing, which in many(most?) fields is against field rules.
2. Crazy.

I hope you're not planning on walking it at 15 bps, because a mech mag will not be light enough to do that, even with the ULT(some people say that you can, but it won't be like an electro). If you want to walk it, you'll need to get/make a pneumag. You can search for more info if that's what you're interested in.

If you're interested in rapid-firing, your nitro duck tank may or may not work. 950 psi on some tanks is not the same as 950 on other tanks. Guages might be a little different, and flow rates will most likely be different as well. My experience with *two* different nitro duck X-stream's has been that it does NOT work for rapid-firing. So I shelled out the extra money and bought an AGD Flatline which works perfectly up to 1200 psi. Just be prepared that you may not be able to rapid-fire as fast as you want if your tank isn't up to it. Or you may not be able to rapid-fire at all.

Then again, you're planning on getting the ULT, which I have very little experience with. I have heard though, that if you add extra shims, you can get it to bounce similarly to rapid-firing, although you have to take your entire marker apart to change it back, instead of just lowering the input pressure.

For your qloader...
I have a qloader on my mag. When I was planning on buying it, I was going to buy it warp left, for the same reason, but ended up getting centerfeed. I wanted a low profile. Now, I don't know what's happening with my mag. I might be converting it into a pneumag, I might sell it, I just don't know. I'm glad I have the centerfeed, because it's mainstream, and will work for anything I choose to do with it.
I don't want to imply that a warp body wouldn't be great. If that's what you want, go for it. I've actually never used a standard hopper on my mag, my qloader has worked fine, or has messed up at the very end of the day so I just cleaned up and left.

I use macroline on my mag, used it at 1200 psi, used it up until the point where my tank started bleeding pressure because it was up too high. No leaks, no problems. Then again, I have heard stories about macroline blowing, and I don't usually run it at those pressures for sustained periods.

I thought standard fitting sizes were 1/8 in fittings? they look bigger than that, but isn't that what they're called? 1/8 NPT?
Whatever they are, they're the standard paintball fitting size. Whether you attach a SS hose or macro fittings, it's the same, so no problems.

If you're looking for a rugged, electronics free marker, you've come to the right place. Even if this post seems to contradict all the things you were looking for in a mag, don't be discouraged. I would rather you didn't buy a mag expecting it to rapid-fire right away. The mag is an expensive marker. It's more expensive than most "decent" electros these days. The difference is, the mag is a quality piece of equipment, and it takes time to learn that. Mags are just cool. I'd rather you didn't buy a mag not knowing the downsides.

I did that. Then I learned, I'm glad I'm here anyways. I'll always love mags, even when/if I don't shoot them anymore.

TheYield
11-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks, JenarelJAM. Ya I've done some reading on the Pneumag mods and that may be something I'd look at doing once I get to know my mag a little better.

I've also read that with a ULT you can infact walk the trigger; but you have to set it up in such a way as to cause a lot of wear and tear to the bolt and sear. Rub that bad boy down with some THICK style gun oil and letter' rip lol.

But again with this output pressure thing...

The X-valve is internally reg'd right? So the whole idea with these massive output pressures is to allow the X-valve to recharge as fast as it possibly can?

So even If I can only spit out 900-950 PSI with my nitro duck I'll still be able to shoot decently quick (10-13bps) just not insanely fast pneumag speeds of 15-16bps+ ?

Just wanna make sure I'm understanding that correctly. Thanks in advance.

mobsterboy
11-06-2006, 09:04 AM
you should be able to reach 15 if your mag bounces. crank up the pressure, and watch it get really bouncy, and reach like 18 or 19

etjoyride
11-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Most of the guys above have said everything already. However, as far as rapid firing goes, I had a Y'grip'd RT ule with a ULT and a fixed output tank (850psi) and it was goldwaved at 19BPS soooo....

TheYield
11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Most of the guys above have said everything already. However, as far as rapid firing goes, I had a Y'grip'd RT ule with a ULT and a fixed output tank (850psi) and it was goldwaved at 19BPS soooo....

Are you serious!? That's fantastic.

Pneumagger
11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
It is true that the Xvalve design allows the valve to cycle faster with high pressure inputs... but the valve will do 26bps at the 850psi reccomended by AGD.

The reason people want to put 950-1200 psi into the mag is because when the Xvalve cycles, the excessive pressure doesn't really bounce the trigger forward like a typical field legal setup... It throws your finger forward like an enraged Yeti flinging a dwarf. :argh:

Basically, it makes bouncing and runaway easier to achieve and allows you to do it faster. I would classify the exploitation of excessive input pressure as "Mecanical Mag Ramping". You don't need a sweet air system for this though... your mag will run beautifully from an 800psi preset. And with ULT should make a very fast mech gun.

TheYield
11-06-2006, 08:25 PM
It is true that the Xvalve design allows the valve to cycle faster with high pressure inputs... but the valve will do 26bps at the 850psi reccomended by AGD.

The reason people want to put 950-1200 psi into the mag is because when the Xvalve cycles, the excessive pressure doesn't really bounce the trigger forward like a typical field legal setup... It throws your finger forward like an enraged Yeti flinging a dwarf. :argh:

Basically, it makes bouncing and runaway easier to achieve and allows you to do it faster. I would classify the exploitation of excessive input pressure as "Mecanical Mag Ramping". You don't need a sweet air system for this though... your mag will run beautifully from an 800psi preset. And with ULT should make a very fast mech gun.

That's very good to know, thanks.