PDA

View Full Version : What did I just buy? AGD Historians help me out

Dewok82
11-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I always wanted an OLD Automag...

Auction Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290047289153)

Serial # CF00148.

While I believe this statement may be a bit of a stretch: "This is the 148th AutoMag ever made and purchased before these guns actually hit the market. " it does seem to be a rather old Mag.

Can anyone well-versed in AGD history tell me a little more about this marker?

Do you think it could be an actual level 5 as indicated in the description?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

MoeMag
11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I couldn’t even begin to be able to tell you if it is or isn’t, but I really like the laser engraving on the body.

minimag03
11-05-2006, 02:24 PM
It's entirely possible that it is a level 5. You will not be able to tell untill you actually get to took at the powertube. A couple hints at the age of the marker is a cast metal frame, 68Automag valve (not Classic), and the black plastic air line used (they stopped using that crap years ago). There are lots of people here that could tell you more. I'm sure, since the industry was so small then, Tom could tell you if the seller is telling the truth about it's history. Reguardless, you got a good deal. :D

Jimbud
11-05-2006, 02:43 PM
If the serial # really is 148 it is from the first batch of 100 pre-production Mags.

Automag serial #s start at 100, but they were not built in any order.
The "68 AutoMag" on the body was sandblasted on. A sticker was put on the raw body and then the body was sandblasted to get the dull gray finish. Then the sticker was removed.

Congrats on picking up a nice piece of Paintball history!

Beemer
11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
its a five.

but I really like the laser engraving on the body.

Its not laser. The body was polished then the mag sticker was placed on the body then it was bead blasted. Then the sticker is removed. I still have mine like that with my name on the other side of the body.

and the black plastic air line used (they stopped using that crap years ago).

Well it wasnt really crap. If I recall it was rated at 3000psi and was built ready for HPA with no mods needed. One other reason the valve is rated at 3000 also.

Peace Out

athomas
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I definately wouldn't upgrade this marker. Replace the seals and get it back into working condition. Its a piece of history.

Check the valve and let us know what level it is.

Jackel411
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
The plastic air line is plasti-dip ( the stuff used for tool handles ) painted stainless braided line.. Great stuff I still have some I use.

Other than that... yep thats a classic if I ever saw one

Lee
11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
great find at an excellent price. definate show piece.

beautiful and i'm very very jealous.

don miguel
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Can you take some pics of the powertube for us? mabe it's lvl5. (rarely, but possible)

shorty24
11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
The rounded front of the trigger guard, the fact that the trigger itself appears to be metal, and the original rear-mount ASA with that plastic covered line all point to it possibly being a lvl 5. Hard to tell without pics of the internals though. Show us more!!

Tunaman
11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
It looks like an original, except for the barrel. Nice find. ;)

Dewok82
11-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I was able to find an older post by TK describing the differences between the various levels. It seems I won't be able to tell for sure until I can take a look at the power tube. He did mention that the crown point barrel was a level 7 upgrade.

I will most certainly post more pictures once I take posession. It's hard to tell with the tiny auction photos, but it appears to be in great condition. Now I just have to find a nice display case for it. Anyone good with lucite?

Beemer
11-06-2006, 09:12 PM
The plastic air line is plasti-dip ( the stuff used for tool handles ) painted stainless braided line.. Great stuff I still have some I use.

No its not. Not if its AGD ORIGINAL, OEM. The first lines they used were hydraulic lines rated to 3000psi. NOT plastic. Then they switched to rated SS. AGD never used any coating. From the pic as near as I can tell that line looks original.

KayleAGD
11-06-2006, 09:25 PM
WoW !!!

you are lucky I missed that one .. I have cf00214 and cf00202. The 214 was the door prize at the Nashville masters the year they were introduced.
I would have no doubt in what is said about the history of this gun. the hose is stock 3k parker hose and the shiny lettering was common to the sponsored teams Swarm and SOB's.
Please do not mess with this gun if it is level 5. I have some doubts as it has a cp barrel. These were made in bore drop ony I think. If the barrel has a nubbin it is not level 5.
I see some lettering foreward of the hose is it a name ? I am curious who this belonged to..

Great find

Kayle

sniper1rfa
11-07-2006, 12:02 AM
it says "andrew" in front of the hose.

Must be mine. Hand it over.

Note, the hose is grease whip hose, which is hydraulic line rated to 3000 psi. It is rated to 3000 PSI HYDARULIC pressure, though. Tends to pop eventually used for high pressure gasses.

AGD
11-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Well for sure its the 48th gun made. We started at 100. The manuals and the brochure are newer though and make it a little suspicious since that stuff usually went with updated guns. The black hose is original as is the back bottle adaptor. The co2 tank is also a period piece and I would pick that up too.

The first 100 guns went to Bill Hansen in Michigan because he was ready to pay cash for them all. I think it would have been unlikely that #48 would have started in IL. The sandblasted body was something we did after the first 100 so thats another sign its been updated.

There are VERY few L5 less than serial# 200 guns out there. I took back every one that came through the shop over the last decade that was original. If it is actually a totally original L5 you probably have one of maybe 10 or 20 in circulation.

Good luck!

AGD

sniper1rfa
11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Why were the serials started at 100?

AGD
11-07-2006, 03:30 AM
The serials were started at 100 because we promised all the low number guns to friends in the business. We never got around to making them. :(

AGD

pennywise
11-07-2006, 06:14 AM
That airline is not plastic-coated...it is definitely Parker line (Parflex perhaps?)

I have some of that stuff on my VM-68--it's great!

Dewok82
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Kayle - I took a closer look at the pictures of the lettering you mentioned and I'm almost positive it says "Campbell", which is consistent with the auction description.

Was customized sandblasting ever offered by AGD? I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can find out more about this Campbell fellow.

I thought level 5 was the first level made available to the public, so I don't see how it could have been upgraded to level 5.
Based on the information you all have provided and what I've been able to find, I'm afraid the part of the auction that says the marker was "upgraded to level 5", probably means "upgraded to level 7". This is the first time I purchased a marker hoping it had NOT been upgraded.

Even if it has been upgraded to level 7, I'm still delighted at the fact it was the 48th marker made (out of 100,000+). Time to resurrect the serial # showdown thread!! (j/k)

Ever notice how time slows down when you know there is paintball gear on it's way to you?

Thanks again to everyone for the information. :cheers:
I'll be sure to post some better pictures once it's in my hands.

11 Bravo
11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Dewok82

Was customized sandblasting ever offered by AGD? I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can find out more about this Campbell fellow.

QUOTE]

Yes. If I remember correctly it was.

Dewok82
11-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Well - it finally came. The bad news is it isn't Level 5, it has been upgraded to Level 7.

The good news is the serial # really is CF00148 :headbang:

It came with a few other goodies - some nice Automag ephemera, an old school pod, an old school squeegee, some varoius air fittings, a sealed AM/MM Parts Kit, a co2 pin valve, a few air fittings, and what appears to be a device you would screw on top of a bottle to read it's output pressure.

If this isn't a testament to the reliability of the Automag I don't know what is - As soon as I checked out the powertube I put in some oil, aired it up, and PING PING PING ( I love the sound of the Crownpoint barrels) it shot like a champ.

The on/off top is a little odd. It has grooves milled through the top instead of the "holes" that I see through most of them.

Overall the marker is in great condition for it's age. I gave it a good cleaning and snapped off a few pictures. I can't wait to see the looks it's gonna get when I break it out at the local field.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/dewok82/OldMagWhole.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/dewok82/Number148.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/dewok82/OldmagRight.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/dewok82/onofftop.jpg

Lenny
11-10-2006, 08:06 PM
I almost bid on that! :eek: Now I hate myself! :cry: Of all the times to resist opening my wallet!

rx2
11-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Those are the standard on/off tops from the pre-RT days. People used to extend the grooves, and such, in order to try to gain a better recharge (such as the mods on the old Ravi Chopra site). Those were the days...

shaunyoung000
11-12-2006, 01:57 AM
super nice find, good job man, I've never even seen one like that

Scott Hudnall
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I still use that on/off in one of my 'mags. despite the hype regarding drop off, I don't see it, even on long strings of shots. but maybe that's just my 'mag.

Okay, i see the ebay sale price. I'll give you $77 so you can make a few bucks. deal???? :rolleyes:

great find! enjoy the marker. It's a beauty.

athomas
11-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I have one of those on-off tops. They work fine. The newer ones were introduced to prevent people from putting them in the gun upside down.

don miguel
11-13-2006, 07:58 PM
THat is so awesome, NICE FIND!!!!!!

edoz
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
The top of my on/off is like that. Mine's a 3000 serial number though.

paintball-lizard
12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
You lucky lucky SOB very nice find pitty it isnt a lv5 tho but still very nice. :wow:
I got my hands on a 6-Pak loader and i know they are rare now too only 2000 ever made.

paintball-lizard
12-08-2006, 12:12 AM
You lucky lucky SOB very nice find pitty it isnt a lv5 tho but still very nice. :wow:
I got my hands on a 6-Pak loader and i know they are rare now too only 2000 ever made.

Pic

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/paintball-lizard/DavidP8ntballkit002-1.jpg