PDA

View Full Version : so, anyone getting a Zune?

thecavemankevin
11-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Just curious. I've been following the news about this guy for a little while now and am looking forward to seeing them in person. I may pick one up, but i need to see it and get a feel for it first. I need good one handed opperation (it is a video player afterall http://www.myneonspeed.com/forums/images/smiles/jerkit.gif)

The iPod has a new enemy in town, with an official release date of Nov. 14 in the USA and a $249.99 price tag. The Microsoft Zune opens a new market of "social" music connectivity. See more at the Zune/iPod comparison chart Zune photo gallery and store.

WMA, MP3, AAC, JPEG,WMV, MPEG-4, H.264 media playback
Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) connectivity
30 GB Hard Drive
3 inch video LCD 320x240
White, Black, and Brown Colors
FM Radio
Dedicated song download site zune.net
Podcast playback
Updateable Firmware
Tested 13 hr battery life for audio, 4 hr video
3 day playback of Wi-Fi transfered songs from friends
XBOX streaming
XBOX (Microsoft) points compatability
Preloaded music videos
Over a dozen accessories at launch
5.6 ounces in weight, 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.58 inches size
Metric: 158 g, 112 x 61 x 14.7 mm size
Custom background images
WiFi transfer of photographs
Tag based storage system (Will not appear as drive)
PC Compatability (no Mac client at launch)
Zune tag enabled
Horizontal and vertical video orientation

http://www.rmeng.com/zunescene/frontzune2.jpg

etjoyride
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
i like it. I'm not the biggest microsoft fan ever, but considering i still use XP for some reason...

Eagle
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
The caveman is back from exile!!! I've heard a little about them, was going to wait and see the reviews. I don't like the ipod, used to have a Zen before it was stolen, and it was nice.

SpecialBlend2786
11-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I think it looks very very promising. Won't be picking one up cause I have no need for a high-capacity player like that, but I think the product itself is going to be great.

That being said, if Microsoft comes out with a Zune mini or something i have a feeling I'd be very interested.

Muzikman
11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
If it had a CF slot I would be all over that!

(my reason is for digital photo storage)

robnix
11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't get why people buy players that will lock you into one music service, and encrust any file you put on it with DRM. I'd look at something like the Cowon A2.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/a2/

Specifications
Video Playback File Format : AVI, WMV, ASF
Video Codec : DivX 3.11 1) / 4/ 5 2), XviD 2), WMV9 (MP@LL) 3)
Audio Codec : WMA 4), MP3, AC3 5.1 Downmix
Audio Playback MP3, OGG 10), WMA 4), FLAC 10), WAV with 5 bands EQ, BBE, Mach3Bass, MP Enhance, and 3D Surround 5)
Photo Viewer JPEG 6), PNG 7), BMP 8)
Text Viewer TXT (EUC-KR, EUC-JP, GB2312, Big5, ISO-8859-1, UTF-8)
FM Radio 76 ~ 108MHz with preset
TV Recording ASF (MPEG4 video and MP3) : Up to 640X480, 30fps
Line-in Recording MP3 : Up to 44.1KHz, 192Kbps
TV Out NTSC/PAL
DivX Certified Yes
Subtitle SMI Format
Playback Time Video : Up to 10 hours
Audio : Up to 18 hours
LCD 4" 480x272, 0.183mm pitch, TFT LCD (16:9 Wide)
Storage Hard disk (20GB/30GB) 9)
PC Interface USB 2.0 (Max 480Mbps)
USB OTG USB 1.1 (Max 12Mbps)
USB USB 2.0

SpecialBlend2786
11-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't get why people buy players that will lock you into one music service, and encrust any file you put on it with DRM. I'd look at something like the Cowon A2.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/a2/

Specifications
Video Playback File Format : AVI, WMV, ASF
Video Codec : DivX 3.11 1) / 4/ 5 2), XviD 2), WMV9 (MP@LL) 3)
Audio Codec : WMA 4), MP3, AC3 5.1 Downmix
Audio Playback MP3, OGG 10), WMA 4), FLAC 10), WAV with 5 bands EQ, BBE, Mach3Bass, MP Enhance, and 3D Surround 5)
Photo Viewer JPEG 6), PNG 7), BMP 8)
Text Viewer TXT (EUC-KR, EUC-JP, GB2312, Big5, ISO-8859-1, UTF-8)
FM Radio 76 ~ 108MHz with preset
TV Recording ASF (MPEG4 video and MP3) : Up to 640X480, 30fps
Line-in Recording MP3 : Up to 44.1KHz, 192Kbps
TV Out NTSC/PAL
DivX Certified Yes
Subtitle SMI Format
Playback Time Video : Up to 10 hours
Audio : Up to 18 hours
LCD 4" 480x272, 0.183mm pitch, TFT LCD (16:9 Wide)
Storage Hard disk (20GB/30GB) 9)
PC Interface USB 2.0 (Max 480Mbps)
USB OTG USB 1.1 (Max 12Mbps)
USB USB 2.0

I had a Cowon player awhile ago. It really was a great little player. Got fantastic battery life too. Right now I have a Zen nano plus which serves it's purpose alright.

LinearGoose
11-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Im thinking of getting one of those Cowon players. I saw them the other day and they look sweet. I want to connect a bullet cam to record me playing some paintball.

robnix
11-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Im thinking of getting one of those Cowon players. I saw them the other day and they look sweet. I want to connect a bullet cam to record me playing some paintball.

That's a great idea!

jenarelJAM
11-07-2006, 08:22 PM
My ipod might be dying soon, I'll have to see what's a good deal then. Unfortunately all my music is in AAC format(unprotected) so I'd have to find something to convert it all back to mp3...

Steelrat
11-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I'll be getting one.

Chaos_Theory!
11-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't get why people buy players that will lock you into one music service, and encrust any file you put on it with DRM.

I thought the same thing about iTunes until recently. The guy that broke/hacked the code that does the same thing on DVDs recently did the same with iTunes protection. It was all over the news around here, youll be able to use any song you DL form itunes on any other device. Im sure as time goes on similar things will happen with any other popular program.

thecavemankevin
11-08-2006, 02:56 PM
My ipod might be dying soon, I'll have to see what's a good deal then. Unfortunately all my music is in AAC format(unprotected) so I'd have to find something to convert it all back to mp3...

dime a dozen bro, that is if they are not purchased from itunes. if they are purchased from itunes you are SOL for right now.

I thought the same thing about iTunes until recently. The guy that broke/hacked the code that does the same thing on DVDs recently did the same with iTunes protection. It was all over the news around here, youll be able to use any song you DL form itunes on any other device. Im sure as time goes on similar things will happen with any other popular program.

yeah, but it aint out yet. He may end up just licensing/selling the info to other companies and not releasing it to the general public. but it is still DRM'ed music that you purchas.

The caveman is back from exile!!! I've heard a little about them, was going to wait and see the reviews. I don't like the ipod, used to have a Zen before it was stolen, and it was nice.

dude, i've been back for a week

not entirely accurate, the songs you buy from zune market place will be DRM'ed but not regular MP3's you already own/ripped. I have no intensions of purchasing music from any of these DRM stores like itunes and zune.

but i do know where you're coming from. Thats one of the main reasons i haven't purchased an ipod.

MaD_SaM
11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I got around all that "protected music" crap by using a burnt copy of lime wire pro. Now I just download them from lime wire and import them to itunes. They seem to work just fine. My question is am I doing it illegally?

robnix
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
not entirely accurate, the songs you buy from zune market place will be DRM'ed but not regular MP3's you already own/ripped. I have no intensions of purchasing music from any of these DRM stores like itunes and zune.

but i do know where you're coming from. Thats one of the main reasons i haven't purchased an ipod.

At this point from what I understand about the DRM that Zune employs, is that any song or video you share, no matter if you created it yourself, or it comes with the Creative Commons lisence, will get slapped silly with 3 day or 3 play DRM.

thecavemankevin
11-09-2006, 11:51 AM
well, i could have sworn i read/heard somewhere that non DRMed music you could keep indeffinately but i cant seem to find it now. So i'm not sure but its not likely.

I'm still looking forward to seeing/feeling one to see if it is a good fit for me. Its hard to tell by the pics.

I looked at the Cowan and it looks nice, but it also looks kind of awekward for one handed opperation.

robnix
11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
well, i could have sworn i read/heard somewhere that non DRMed music you could keep indeffinately but i cant seem to find it now. So i'm not sure but its not likely.

I'm still looking forward to seeing/feeling one to see if it is a good fit for me. Its hard to tell by the pics.

I looked at the Cowan and it looks nice, but it also looks kind of awekward for one handed opperation.

NY Times Zune Review (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/technology/09pogue.html?_r=1&ref=technology&pagewanted=print)

robnix
11-09-2006, 05:25 PM

Interesting post on Slashdot:

79 zune points costs 99 cents. and you have to buy them in increments of $5. jeezus! this is so diaboilical on many levels. First, MS gets to hold your float for $4.01 after you buy the first song. That's a lot of interest to MS over time. And then after you buy 5 songs then what? MS gets to keep the extra nickel you can't spend. So really songs cost $1.00 not $0.99 cents. MS pockets 1% extra. Finally, the detachment of points from dollars measn two things. First it measn your brain hurts when you are spending funny money with strange conversion rates that make it hard to figure on the fly. And second it means they can charge different groups different prices or raise prices. For example, everyone who buys zune points now may be paying $1.00 per song but if you buy the points next week it's say $1.50 a song. Or maybe you get a zune points discount if you buy a new computer with MS OS.

it all seems so deliberately complicated and multi-tiered like all of MS products. That can be a good bussiness strategy but it's not a user-freindly strategy. I predict people will prefer their music priced in way they can figure and don't have to work the angles to get the best prices.

thecavemankevin
11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Interesting post on Slashdot:

i was to some extent familiar with the "funny money" and conversion bs, but i never really thought about some of the other aspects of it. I agree that it is very fishy, but in the end the wireless and zune mareket place are of no real interest to me. I dont plan on buying any songs, at least not from them or ituns.

I simply wont a nice PMP with good features, large capacity, good interface, easy one handed operation, does my taxes, feeds the dogs, will put out the cat, and high fives me when i'm done nailing the wife....is that too much to ask? :confused:

robnix
11-10-2006, 10:57 AM
i was to some extent familiar with the "funny money" and conversion bs, but i never really thought about some of the other aspects of it. I agree that it is very fishy, but in the end the wireless and zune mareket place are of no real interest to me. I dont plan on buying any songs, at least not from them or ituns.

I simply wont a nice PMP with good features, large capacity, good interface, easy one handed operation, does my taxes, feeds the dogs, will put out the cat, and high fives me when i'm done nailing the wife....is that too much to ask? :confused:

Yes, I think I've seen one that does the high fives, but I haven't been able to find one that will feed the dogs and put out the cats. Good luck on that! :p

Archangel Kid
11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Picked mine up yesterday at CC. It's awesome, I absolutely love it. I got the brown one, if anyone even cares. I don't know much about the zune marketplace mumbo jumbo. I do know this, that the MS points system for the 360 can also be used as Zune points. The player is pretty light for it's size. When you see it, you almost expect it to way as much as a brick. So you do one of those funny things where you pick it up real fast =P The picture quality on it is amazing, it's like watching a mini HDTV. Also any picture you upload onto your player, you can set as your background. I love turning on my player and having Vida Guerra's butt staring at me.

psychowarden
11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Instead of the Zune, I decided to go ahead and get a Toshiba Gigabeat (http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Gigabeat_S_MES30VW_30GB_white/4505-6499_7-31660763.html?tag=tpr) in the 60g form. The Gigabeat is very similar to the Zune. You can hook it up to the 360 just like the Zune, and you just hook right up to a Media Center PC, no software needed. And the audio and video playback is amazing. The picture quality is also very impressive.

Archangel Kid
11-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Instead of the Zune, I decided to go ahead and get a Toshiba Gigabeat (http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Gigabeat_S_MES30VW_30GB_white/4505-6499_7-31660763.html?tag=tpr) in the 60g form. The Gigabeat is very similar to the Zune. You can hook it up to the 360 just like the Zune, and you just hook right up to a Media Center PC, no software needed. And the audio and video playback is amazing. The picture quality is also very impressive.

That's really nice, but I really like the fact that I can basically eye's closed control this thing. There seems to be buttons all over the Gigabeat. I don't know personally but that's what it looked like in the video.

robnix
11-25-2006, 04:09 PM

They also work seamlessly with the TivoToGo software to transfer your Tivo recordings to the player. A few other players do as well, like the Creative Zen, and the iPod.

psychowarden
11-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Its true that there are quite a few buttons, but once you get used to it, it's very simple to control. I like the controls much more than the Ipod, because when I had my Ipod, I was constantly scrolling past the song that I wanted to listen to and just couldn't get it to stay on that particular song. But it's much easier to select a certain song on the Gigabeat. Bill Gates himself said that the Zune will beat the iPod, and that the only Mp3 player that could beat the Zune is the Gigabeat. But either way, he is going to make money, because the Gigabeat has a Windows operating system, thus is compatible with almost all Microsoft hardware such as the 360.

sk8dood
11-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Its true that there are quite a few buttons, but once you get used to it, it's very simple to control. I like the controls much more than the Ipod, because when I had my Ipod, I was constantly scrolling past the song that I wanted to listen to and just couldn't get it to stay on that particular song. But it's much easier to select a certain song on the Gigabeat. Bill Gates himself said that the Zune will beat the iPod, and that the only Mp3 player that could beat the Zune is the Gigabeat. But either way, he is going to make money, because the Gigabeat has a Windows operating system, thus is compatible with almost all Microsoft hardware such as the 360.

My iPod seems to be compatible with my 360... :rolleyes:

psychowarden
11-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Thats sweet, I was never able to get my friends 360 to recognize my iPod. Maybe it was because I had an early Video, I don't know. But my iPod was just a bit annoying and I hate iTunes.

sk8dood
11-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Thats sweet, I was never able to get my friends 360 to recognize my iPod. Maybe it was because I had an early Video, I don't know. But my iPod was just a bit annoying and I hate iTunes.

Yeah, I have an early 30g video and it works fine. As for iTunes, I like it because I am used to using it. I hate the iTunes store :mad: It has left nothing but a bad taste in my mouth. I bought some music videos and when I updated the software, I lost about half of them. Money down the drain.

slade
11-26-2006, 12:01 PM
www.allofmp3.com

why are people stupid enough to buy from the itunes store? and need i say anything about microsoft?

thecavemankevin
11-27-2006, 11:57 AM

i've somewhat considered a gigabeat, but now with your review i am looking into it more. I've seen and messed with the Zune and i have likes and disslikes. Much like the ipod, i like the hardware, hate the software (ie. the interface with said computers and uploading and blah blah blah). It interesting when you think about it all considering the zune is made by toshiba for microsoft. Whats more interesting is the relationship between the two and how the 360 has HDD dvd external drive available which of course is made by toshiba. so how long before Microsoft buys out toshiba?

psychowarden
11-27-2006, 01:02 PM
i've somewhat considered a gigabeat, but now with your review i am looking into it more. I've seen and messed with the Zune and i have likes and disslikes. Much like the ipod, i like the hardware, hate the software (ie. the interface with said computers and uploading and blah blah blah). It interesting when you think about it all considering the zune is made by toshiba for microsoft. Whats more interesting is the relationship between the two and how the 360 has HDD dvd external drive available which of course is made by toshiba. so how long before Microsoft buys out toshiba?

If you have Windows Media Player with an XP computer, you don't have to install any new software for the Gigabeat to work. I love the software of it. :cheers:

CKY_Alliance
11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
What i want to know is, whats the deal with the WiFi..or wireless music transfering..it seems as if you can only transfer they're music clips...not actual whole song you have dl'd.also any other neat features with the wireless? Is it possible to chat like with a ds...hmm maybe after they are out and people figur out how to hack them like they did the ipod..lots of other options will open up, oh and how suceptable are the zunes to viruses?...ill prolly just stick with my ipod and hopefully they come out with a video with WiFi.....

robnix
11-27-2006, 01:58 PM
What i want to know is, whats the deal with the WiFi..or wireless music transfering..it seems as if you can only transfer they're music clips...not actual whole song you have dl'd.also any other neat features with the wireless? Is it possible to chat like with a ds...hmm maybe after they are out and people figur out how to hack them like they did the ipod..lots of other options will open up, oh and how suceptable are the zunes to viruses?...ill prolly just stick with my ipod and hopefully they come out with a video with WiFi.....

You can transfer whole songs, the person you transfer them to gets three days or three plays to listen to it, then the song is deleted and they get a handy 'buy this now' link in the Zune software. You can't sync over wireless though, you still need to connect with the cable.

No chat.

The Zune really is a gigabeat clone on the inside for the most part. There are people actively working on getting rockbox to work on the gigabeat, so I can't imagine that the Zune will be far behind.

You shouldn't have to worry about viruses.

thecavemankevin
11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
If you have Windows Media Player with an XP computer, you don't have to install any new software for the Gigabeat to work. I love the software of it. :cheers:

on the toshiba, can you customize it (change background images etc...)?

you can transfer a full song, but the recipiant can only listen to it 3 times or after 3 days it will expire. But it is the full song.

kind of gimmicky, but may have some future capabilities. Just think where we may be in 5 years.

Altimas
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
you can transfer a full song, but the recipiant can only listen to it 3 times or after 3 days it will expire. But it is the full song.

kind of gimmicky, but may have some future capabilities. Just think where we may be in 5 years.

Future Capabilities....Maybe like Pokemon but with Music!!! I CHOOSE YOU BLACK SABATH!!

CKY_Alliance
11-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Is there anyway around the song being disabled? If it is buit into the software i would think so...hm..thats pretty homo though...

slade
11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Future Capabilities....Maybe like Pokemon but with Music!!! I CHOOSE YOU BLACK SABATH!!
I CHOOSE YOU FALLOUT BOY!

*fallout boy has run away crying.

robnix
11-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Is there anyway around the song being disabled? If it is buit into the software i would think so...hm..thats pretty homo though...

Not yet. Maybe some intrepid Foe Of Microsoft will find a way around it, but with EVERYTHING you put on the ZUNE getting DRM, good luck.

thecavemankevin
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
well, there is sort of a way around it, but it is a real pain and not very piratical. its easier to simply email/flash drive the songs to a friend. You have to rename the files to .jpg so the zune thinks its a picture. Then transfer to your zune from your computer, then transfer to the other zune then they need to rename it back to what it should be. not really much benefit.

plus since microsoft basically forces you into updating the firmware on the zune any work arounds will likely be overturned in the future.

slade
11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
plus since microsoft basically forces you into updating the firmware on the zune any work arounds will likely be overturned in the future.
:ninja: then someone will work around the firmware update, and/or create their own firmware

robnix
11-29-2006, 01:40 PM
www.allofmp3.com

why are people stupid enough to buy from the itunes store? and need i say anything about microsoft?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/28/russia-agrees-to-us-request-to-shut-down-allofmp3com/

An official document posted to Digg today summarizes an agreement between the U.S. and Russia in which Russia has agreed to close down AllofMP3.com, and any sites that “permit illegal distribution of music and other copyright works.”

The agreement is dated November 19 and posted to the Web site for the Office of the United States Trade Representative. It summarizes the joint efforts of the two countries to fight content piracy, an issue known to be centered in Russia and Eastern Europe.

Steelrat
11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
www.allofmp3.com

Because we don't like stealing. Why do you think that site charged so little? Before you label people as stupid, better check your facts. Unless you think theft is e-cool.

slade
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Because we don't like stealing. Why do you think that site charged so little? Before you label people as stupid, better check your facts. Unless you think theft is e-cool.
the site has questionable legality (from what i heard, there was a loophole in the contract). but then again, itunes and zune or whatever really arent any better, just unfair in the other direction. they both restrict the usage of the music you paid a dollar a song for, in a lossy format no less. if youre looking for "justice", a CD would be better, although still far from optimal.

slade
11-29-2006, 03:00 PM
robnix - missed that.

but then again, itunes and zune or whatever really arent any better, just unfair in the other direction. they both restrict the usage of the music you paid for, in a lossy format no less. if youre looking for "justice", a CD would be better, although still far from optimal. note that i didnt mention the cost in my original post, just the source. its not the price im necessarily opposed to.

robnix
11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
robnix - missed that.

but then again, itunes and zune or whatever really arent any better, just unfair in the other direction. they both restrict the usage of the music you paid for, in a lossy format no less. if youre looking for "justice", a CD would be better, although still far from optimal. note that i didnt mention the cost in my original post, just the source. its not the price im necessarily opposed to.

You're right on all counts though, under Russian copyright laws, the only thing that's really been a grey area has been the legality of allofmp3 selling music to people outside of Russia.

Used CD's FTW.

thecavemankevin
11-29-2006, 03:50 PM
that sux about allofmp3 :(

meh knew it was only a matter of time though. guess they'll have to relocate again.

how long before someone buys and island and makes their own country just to sell pirated content?

i usually dont worry about newer music, but when i do i try and find a place that i can stream it and then record it into mp3 on my own. might not be perfect quality, but better than the radio