PDA

View Full Version : 2 mystery leaks :p

burscott
11-07-2006, 10:53 PM
All right. Much frustration here...

Gun 1 = Minimag. Older serial #<2500. The leak is coming in the middle of the reg body--where the two parts are screwed together.

Gun 2 = a ReTrovalve very small leak from the vent hole on the left of the valve (the silver part--the hole near where the valve body meets the gun body)

I've tired replacing various O-rings including the valve seat oring, and various ones in the on/off assemblies. No Dice :(

I appreciate all help that you can provide.

Thank you,
Scott

rb211
11-07-2006, 11:45 PM
On the Mini, have you replaced the o-ring between the valve halves?

On the Retro, you need to replace the reg pin o-rings.

burscott
11-07-2006, 11:51 PM
On the Mini, have you replaced the o-ring between the valve halves?

On the Retro, you need to replace the reg pin o-rings.

Mini= Yup I did replace that one. I actually tried two. No luck. I did try a valve back half off another gun and it leaked less, but still leaky

Retro = Reg pin O-rings? where are they? I replaced the small one where the 2 halves meet.

Thank you for the reply,
Scott

rb211
11-08-2006, 12:29 AM
The reg pin is in the front half of the valve. Unscrew the reg half, and look in the middle of the stainless half of the valve. The silver pin in the middle is the reg pin. There are 2 o-rings on it that you probably should replace.

As far as the leak on the mini, you got me on that one. Nice to see someone else that has a Mini in my Mini's age range. I have #2822

Ideas anyone???????

SocialD
11-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Gun 1 = Minimag. Older serial #<2500. The leak is coming in the middle of the reg body--where the two parts are screwed together.

Are you 100% sure that the leak is coming from between the halves of the valve and not from the ON/OFF valve? Make sure that it isn't the o-ring on the outside of the ON/OFF assy. I found this leak is difficult to track down because it mimics a leak between the two halves.

Gun 2 = a ReTrovalve very small leak from the vent hole on the left of the valve (the silver part--the hole near where the valve body meets the gun body)

This one sounds like the regulator piston o-ring to me.

Look at this link and track the leak backwards to the first o-ring that you see and chances are that is your bad o-ring.

http://www.airgun.com/Images/rtblowup.pdf

rb211
11-08-2006, 01:16 PM
A reg piston o-ring failure would cause it to leak out the rear. Your problem is the reg pin o-rings

burscott
11-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Ok so the Minimag--got it leaking quite a bit less. Did change the piston o-ring. That was the main prob. however still a small leak. Water tested it. The leak (or at least the bubbles) are coming out behind the trigger on the grip frame? The gun has a benchmark frame on it. Could this be a trigger rod length problem?

Retro valve; replaced both sear pin o rings. No change. Also I forgot to mention before that the gun is not cocking enough to be fired with a trigger pull, but I can fire it by pushing the rod back with something like a small allen wrench. Grrr Grr Grr.

Thank you for all of the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

SocialD
11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
I believe:

It leaks out the back when you try to over pressure the valve.

It leaks out the side hole when the reg. piston o-ring goes bad.

It shoots inconsistantly when the reg seat goes bad.(no external leaks).

Here is a link to the RT tech video. It goes over all of the leaks.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-269545245980121180

rb211
11-09-2006, 11:29 PM
You need to replace your on/off lower o-ring on the Minimag valve.

As far as the leak on your retro valve, you need to dig deeper into the valve. It sounds like you replced the on/off o-rings on that. Wrong ones. If you replaceed the small o-ring on the reg half of the valve, you were headed in the right direction, you just didn't go far enough. Look at this diagram:
http://www.airgun.com/downloads/retroexploded1.pdf
The two o-rings you need to replace are on page 2 (regulator valve pin assy.) These are the 2 o-rings that cause a Retro or X valve to leak out of one of the two holes on top or on the side of the valve. Replace these and you'll be back in business.