PDA

View Full Version : black powder?

Soopa Villain17
11-09-2006, 06:59 AM
i just bought a replica 1851 confederate navy .44 from cabelas and the instructions arent very helpfull. can any1 explain to me black powder , how to handle it , how to load the gun , from what i understand if the ball isnt firmly seated against the powder i wont have a hand left. heres the gun, http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20817_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20817&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20817&id=0006186

behemoth
11-09-2006, 09:05 AM
i just bought a replica 1851 confederate navy .44 from cabelas and the instructions arent very helpfull. can any1 explain to me black powder , how to handle it , how to load the gun , from what i understand if the ball isnt firmly seated against the powder i wont have a hand left. heres the gun, http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20817_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20817&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20817&id=0006186

Trial and Error is your best bet.

Also, feel free to keep the blackpowder stored anywhere, by the fireplace is fine, or near the ashtray...

Pneumagger
11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
why would you buy a gun that you have never used... out of curiosity. I mean... one that you have no clue how to load?

Lohman446
11-09-2006, 09:44 AM
VIDEO.... This demands video, at least your use of it.

Go to a range and ask for help...

Crighton
11-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure it's safe to fire that being as blind as you are.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...0817&id=0006186
1851 Confederate Navy, .44 Caliber Revolver and Starter Kit
"Wath the Video"
Cleaning Your Black Powder Revolver
Loading Your Black Powder Revolver

Soopa Villain17
11-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure it's safe to fire that being as blind as you are.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...0817&id=0006186
1851 Confederate Navy, .44 Caliber Revolver and Starter Kit
"Wath the Video"
Cleaning Your Black Powder Revolver
Loading Your Black Powder Revolver

oh i didnt even see that. i orderd it from the catalog didnt even check the sight till now , cool thanks

oh ya nice help behemoth :) you know everything :spit_take

Warwitch
11-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Trial and Error is your best bet.

Also, feel free to keep the blackpowder stored anywhere, by the fireplace is fine, or near the ashtray...

make sure its damp too :rolleyes:

tropical_fishy
11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh, for God's sake. Where are your parents? Do they KNOW you're buying guns?

Altimas
11-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Its black powder you dont even have to go through the ATF background check for that.

Army
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Nice thing about BP revolvers, is that you cannot overload them. Too much powder, and the ball cannot be seated. A properly sized and seated ball, will have a tiny ring shaved off when you ram it. Give each cap a squeeze before you place it on the nipple, the slight bend will lock it on better, so they won't fall off under recoil.

Be sure to use enough grease to fully seal each chamber. Flashover (the flame from the first shot, flashes into the adjoining chambers, igniting one to all others) is not a pleasant experience. While rarely causing injury.....except to your formerly clean underwear......it is loud, smoky, very scary, and the recoil is tremendous. Fully sealed chambers will stop any flame from getting to anywhere it shouldn't.

FFFG Blackpowder, or "P" class Pyrodex is all you need. There are newer cleaner burning powders out there now, but they don't give the consistancy that Pyrodex or real Blackpowder does.

Get familiar with the pistol, 'cuz you will have to completely disassemble it after every outing in order to clean it well. Blackpowder residue is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture out of the air, leaving you with a black wet goo that will immediately rust the metal it is on. Lots of very hot water, some dishsoap, a toothbrush, and about 1/2 hour of elbow grease will get it plenty clean. Don't forget to re-oil all exposed steel after cleaning and drying it.

My old '58 Remington .44 was a blast to shoot. Full loads boomed off with authority, and rather accurately too. Long ago, I won a turkey at a local holiday shoot with it, beating out 4 other shooters.

Soopa Villain17
11-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Oh, for God's sake. Where are your parents? Do they KNOW you're buying guns?

im almost 20 , i dont live with either of my parents i can pretty much buy whatever i want and i dont care what they think. thanks for the help army i went to the gunshop next to my grandparents house and the guy explained everything to me real good , got me setup with everything i need even invited me to a black powder shoot sunday at a local gun club, sweet.

Recon by Fire
11-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd love to get an antique black powder gun but I think I will just wait and get a small cannon instead :rofl:

I saw some beautiful muskets at Colonial Williamsburg, the gun shop there takes custom orders but they were too far backed up and not taking orders.

DeTrevni
11-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I've got me the exact gun, and it's a blast to shoot. Once you get the hange of it, it really is simple to use.

Oh, and ALWAYS clean it after use, or the residue from the powder will kill it. And good luck with that! Cleaning that thing is a beast!

kruger
11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I am not real familiar with black powder guns, but, isnt there a gun cleaning spray that you could use on it? I seem to remember that there was something called "gun scrub" or something like that. Been a while since I have piddled with guns.

If I remember, it was a non-residue spray that you hosed the gun down with and then just lightly oiled it after.

DeTrevni
11-09-2006, 11:41 PM
The thing about black powder is it gets everywhere. The residue is on almost every part of the gun. If you don't get in there and scrub it up, it could cause a problem. I'm skeptical of this "insta-spray..."

warbeak2099
11-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Pffft, the Colt Model 1851 Navy was not .44, it was .36. And it was never made with a brass receiver, always case hardened steel or silver. The Confederates did not have their own version.

Here are some suggestions:

Pack that ball in on top of the powder pretty good. You can put a small dab of vaseline over it to seal the chamber better and prevent chain firing (this is bad). Make sure the caps are the right size, not too big or again you'll get a chain fire. Don't rest the barrel on your wrist while firing like in the movies and the old paintings, if you do experience a chain fire... bye bye mr. hand!

MoeMag
11-10-2006, 01:36 AM
These kinda look cool, but the price makes me wonder how well they are made. Im going to check these out sunday. the derringer in a box looks awsome.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/21/36/60/i213660sq02.jpg

PyRo
11-10-2006, 09:03 AM
if you do experience a chain fire... bye bye mr. hand!
Get an M1855 Colt revolving rifle. Those were notorious for blowing off hands.

In NY you need a pistol license to shoot a black powder pistol. Those are fun to get, it's a $300 initial fee, somthing like $15 for each gun you purchase, then about $100 a year after that. You can own one without a license but you can't own the materials necessary to load it.

MoeMag
11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Get an M1855 Colt revolving rifle. Those were notorious for blowing off hands.

In NY you need a pistol license to shoot a black powder pistol. Those are fun to get, it's a $300 initial fee, somthing like $15 for each gun you purchase, then about $100 a year after that. You can own one without a license but you can't own the materials necessary to load it.

I guess your :cuss: lawmakers deiced you have the right to bear arms... just not loaded. :tard:

I love AZ. I can carry a pistol on my hip, or a rifle slung around my shoulder and go anywhere I want (not to say that I do) only having to fill out one form, two if i want to conceal it, when I buy the gun.

I get a kick out of all the adults that come in our shop and start telling their kids about "rules" That are stupid as can be, that are either borne out of fear and ignorance or apparently other states, and its only airsoft!

The thing is... the bad guys are going to get guns (and ammunition :rolleyes: ) no matter what. Let the law abiding folks get guns legally, and they are not too inclined to use them for mal reasons because everyone of my guns has a serial number with my name attached to it, and Im cool with that. The only reason I would use it against someone is if someone is unlawfully threatening my life, in which case Arizona tells me I have the right to end that threat.

SCpoloRicker
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Dare I ask what you do for a living?

/Fries with that?

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
im almost 20...

You're what??

You're older than I am. That just seems weird.

PyRo
11-10-2006, 12:26 PM
The only reason I would use it against someone is if someone is unlawfully threatening my life, in which case Arizona tells me I have the right to end that threat.
In NY you're supposed to politly ask them not to kill you. Even then you run the risk of being sued.

billybob_81067
11-10-2006, 02:43 PM
You're what??

You're older than I am. That just seems weird.

(PSSSST... Soopa, I think she likes you more than a friend! ;) )

Lohman446
11-10-2006, 03:10 PM

I'd start finding a place to hide now....

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 03:45 PM

That's exactly it. How did you guess?

Lohman446
11-10-2006, 03:46 PM
That's exactly it. How did you guess?

3 wheely?

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 03:56 PM
3 wheely?

If I was president, I would eradicate stupid.

Vote for me in.... 2030?

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
If I was president, I would eradicate stupid.

Vote for me in.... 2030?

I don't know, this world would get pretty lonely :p

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't know, this world would get pretty lonely :p

Ok, I would deport stupid. Then someone else could deal with it.

Lohman446
11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
I take a lot of amusement out of annoying stupid people :D

And they make me a lot of $$ too

Soopa Villain17
11-10-2006, 04:32 PM

wink ;) wink ;)

behemoth
11-10-2006, 06:01 PM
wink ;) wink ;)

Somehow, i think you're lacking too much.

IQ, Income, and Penis size, just to name a few.

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 06:21 PM

are those the traits tropical fishy looks for?

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 06:30 PM
are those the traits tropical fishy looks for?

Why don't we ask tropical_fishy?

Hmmm.

SCpoloRicker
11-10-2006, 07:21 PM

Hmmm.

Because shes supposed to be in the kitchen making pies, barefoot and pregnant?

/*gives lecherous, dirty old man stare*

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Because shes supposed to be in the kitchen making pies, barefoot and pregnant?

/*gives lecherous, dirty old man stare*

There is a gay boy in my kitchen making cookies, does that count?

SCpoloRicker
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM

Well, it kinda does in this here neck of the woods...

/not that theres anything wrong with that

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Hmmm.

they're commendable traits...at least 2 of them...pick your 2 ;)

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
they're commendable traits...at least 2 of them...pick your 2 ;)

IQ and.......

;)

Income, of course.

Soopa Villain17
11-10-2006, 08:29 PM

i might not haVE A very high iq but i make about 700 a week i wont talk about penis size there is little kids on here ;)

kosmo
11-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Psh, IQ and income. Right. Women only say that till after theyve had sex with the guy. Besides, income fluctuates, the other two dont.

Recon by Fire
11-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Well this certainly degraded! :rofl:

billybob_81067
11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Well this certainly degraded! :rofl:

Look who started it!!! What'd ya expect? :p

Swampy
11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey Soopa do own a shovel, hammer, or other blunt object?

MoeMag
11-11-2006, 01:00 AM
I take a lot of amusement out of annoying stupid people :D

And they make me a lot of $$ too

:hail:

Back to black powder... I want one of these...
http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/revwar/image_gal/vafoimg/web_exhibit/VAFO5281_2dragoonpistols_exb.jpg

ZapTheMad
11-11-2006, 01:42 AM
I wonder if you could shoot paintballs with small loads of black powder

billybob_81067
11-11-2006, 02:06 AM
I wonder if you could shoot paintballs with small loads of black powder

If you had the correct sized barrel and used a very small amount of powder I'm sure you could... Tippmann's got that paintball gun that uses propane and creates a small explosion to propel the paintball, so I don't see why not!

tropical_fishy
11-11-2006, 08:26 AM
If you had the correct sized barrel and used a very small amount of powder I'm sure you could... Tippmann's got that paintball gun that uses propane and creates a small explosion to propel the paintball, so I don't see why not!

This may just be me being an idiot, but if you create too much heat, won't that be an issue with melting or otherwise deforming paintballs? I can't find a description of how the Tippmann gun works, so I can't really visualize how using powder would work.

billybob_81067
11-11-2006, 09:59 AM
This may just be me being an idiot, but if you create too much heat, won't that be an issue with melting or otherwise deforming paintballs? I can't find a description of how the Tippmann gun works, so I can't really visualize how using powder would work.

You might have to put some kind of wadding in behind the paintball to take the heat. Definately not practical, but theoritically possible.

This is basically all the info that I've found on the net for the Tippmann propane gun.

After connecting the propane tank, the C3 requires three or four pumps before it will begin firing. If the marker doesn't fire, the manual suggests adjusting the air/fuel mixture. Unlike C02 or compressed air, a tiny amount of propane is ignited by a spark plug creating a combustion that propels the paintball out the barrel.

Lohman446
11-11-2006, 10:46 AM

The C3 uses propane to compress air, which in turn then propels the paintball.

The explosion does not directly propely the paintball - they are in two seperate "areas" of the marker. The explosion compresses air. A seperate action uses that compressed air to propel the paintball. No heat (aside from the heat of compressing the air) is applied directly from the propane "explosion" to the paintball. Hence why it is not a firearm.

billybob_81067
11-11-2006, 03:42 PM
The C3 uses propane to compress air, which in turn then propels the paintball.

The explosion does not directly propely the paintball - they are in two seperate "areas" of the marker. The explosion compresses air. A seperate action uses that compressed air to propel the paintball. No heat (aside from the heat of compressing the air) is applied directly from the propane "explosion" to the paintball. Hence why it is not a firearm.

So have the blackpowder compress a piston which then compresses the air just like the C3. Just use a very tiny amount of blackpowder, or you'd have a bomb on your hands! :p

How does the combustion chamber on the C3 get fresh oxygen for each shot? I've been messing around with a system for injecting compressed oxygen and propane into prairie dog holes and firing it off remotely. Just a half second shot of the oxy-propane mix makes a rather large bang out in the open! :D

Lenny
11-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Moving away from penis sizes and flaming paintballs...

If you ever want a fun gun to shoot, 1847 Berminghams are cool. I do Civil War reenactments and use this. Fun peice of work. Long as hell, too. With the bayonette on it, it's a little bit taller than I am.

Just watch the shoulder when live firing. If you're green, it might hurt. ;)

Recon by Fire
11-11-2006, 09:12 PM
:hail:

Back to black powder... I want one of these...
http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/revwar/image_gal/vafoimg/web_exhibit/VAFO5281_2dragoonpistols_exb.jpg

I just bought a replica one the other week. I wanted to get a custom made working model, but the wait line was tooooolong.

mobsterboy
11-12-2006, 01:33 AM

...Tell Derek I said Hi...

billybob_81067
11-12-2006, 01:36 AM

OOOOooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! :spit_take

/Golf Clap...

Soopa Villain17
11-12-2006, 09:01 AM

i love you mobsterboy , that made my day :rofl: