PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor set up.

MoeMag
11-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Dual monitor set up.

Hey this is a real quick post, before I head off to school…
My laptop has a VGA output on the back and allows for another screen to be used as an extended desktop. What is needed to get that done with my pc?
Video card of some sort I assume, but the fellas at frys electronics and compusa are clueless… as am I.
Educate me AO!

geekwarrior
11-09-2006, 04:04 PM
cheap video card (maybe 20-30). Alot of newer cards have this feature built in, and has cool features, but I think in the beginning I just bought a cheap secind graphics card. I have been running 2 mon for over 4 yrs now, and can't stand working on anything any other way. Awsome for anyone who does any type of design on a comp.

WaffleBaron
11-09-2006, 04:23 PM
All you should need(assuming your card has 2 video out) is a cable to connect to a different monitor and the correct drivers, assuming your card can handle dual display well enough at a good res. You might also need a converter if you aren't using DVI and need both or one to be VGA(depending on the card).

-=squid#2=-
11-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Basically, to do this, you just need two monitors and a soldering iron.

Cut the wires in half, and solder everything into a 'Y' configuration. Plug it in, and it should work fine.

tribalman
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
first off you need a video card capable. just because it has 2 outputs doesn't mean it does it. if it's pci-express, it'll do it. some vga's do also, to check just plug 2 monitors in and turn it on.. if not, oh darn you have to upgrade :D .from there, just plug in both monitors and turn the computer on. should come up on its own. you may need to change the desktop preferences (right click on desktop) and tell it to "span desktop" instead of "clone desktop". you may need to set different resolutions if the monitors are 2 different sizes. i am currently using a 19" and a 17". it's done at the same screen. at least that is how easy it was for me to do it. should be for you also.

evildead420
11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
since you have a laptop, i dont think your setup will work, if im sure, i dont think they sell or upgrade video cards for laptops.

but to get this configured, you need one DVI out and one VGA out video card. you can convert the DVI to a VGA w/ a special plug but I think your out of luck if you only have one VGA out and its on a laptop.

S video wont split the mont. but you can double the screen to show someone what your looking from your laptop to a projector.

Altimas
11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
since you have a laptop, i dont think your setup will work, if im sure, i dont think they sell or upgrade video cards for laptops.

but to get this configured, you need one DVI out and one VGA out video card. you can convert the DVI to a VGA w/ a special plug but I think your out of luck if you only have one VGA out and its on a laptop.

S video wont split the mont. but you can double the screen to show someone what your looking from your laptop to a projector.

He already has it on his laptop and almost all laptos have a VGA out, but he was refering to doing this to his PC and all that needs is a Video Card with a a VGA and a DVI output and you just get the adapter for the DVI.

Pacifist_Farmer
11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
From my experience almost any video card made in the last 3 years should be capable of a dual display set up.

I'm currently running the opposite, two PC's to one monitor, and am very happy.

MoeMag
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM
From my experience almost any video card made in the last 3 years should be capable of a dual display set up.

I'm currently running the opposite, two PC's to one monitor, and am very happy.

Whats the story behind doing that?

Okay I’m back from class now...
So... I have two flat screens, A new Sony 18"and a viewsonic 17". I figured out that my laptop could do the two monitor thing and I really liked it... that is until I finally got a PC that wasn’t my old 350 PII :dance: . Now I’m not the most computer savvy person out there but I didn’t think it was such a big deal. I have a Sony P4ht XP media center vaio. The monitor output is off the mother board :confused: next to the printer serrial up top side of the tower. (I’m used to old computers... thats why I kept the other one for so long) It has a modem card and a media card (Cable, s-vid, and RCA). I figured those would do output as well but as far as i know, no. Anyways... I guess this thing does not have a Graphics card on it...???. So, Tell me specifics. What’s a good graphics card these days that will do what I want. I remember 32mb nvidia cards being hot stuff.

jenarelJAM
11-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Whats the story behind doing that?

Okay I’m back from class now...
So... I have two flat screens, A new Sony 18"and a viewsonic 17". I figured out that my laptop could do the two monitor thing and I really liked it... that is until I finally got a PC that wasn’t my old 350 PII :dance: . Now I’m not the most computer savvy person out there but I didn’t think it was such a big deal. I have a Sony P4ht XP media center vaio. The monitor output is off the mother board :confused: next to the printer serrial up top side of the tower. (I’m used to old computers... thats why I kept the other one for so long) It has a modem card and a media card (Cable, s-vid, and RCA). I figured those would do output as well but as far as i know, no. Anyways... I guess this thing does not have a Graphics card on it...???. So, Tell me specifics. What’s a good graphics card these days that will do what I want. I remember 32mb nvidia cards being hot stuff.
My guess is you've got a vid card built into the motherboard. I do on this computer, and I just upgraded my vid card to a GeForce 7600 GT. Make sure your motherboard has a pci-e port on it, and look at www.newegg.com for vid cards in your price range.
the 7600GT is working great for me. My computer savvy friend recommends the 7900GT, but it was just a little out of my price range...

Pacifist_Farmer
11-10-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm running one PC as storage and server, the other is my primary.

If you aren't running a set up with a PCI-E slot, and you aren't looking to spend much money try this guy, its actually still a decent card ( I have run 2 monitors off this card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195028

That would be about as low as I would go for a graphics card, anything above that will be good.

bornl33t
11-10-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm running one PC as storage and server, the other is my primary.

If you aren't running a set up with a PCI-E slot, and you aren't looking to spend much money try this guy, its actually still a decent card ( I have run 2 monitors off this card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195028

That would be about as low as I would go for a graphics card, anything above that will be good.

kvm switch or what?

Another option: Most PC have a
a) build in graphics adapter right on the mainboard ( aka motherboard ) AND
b) a AGP slot AND
c) MULTIPLE PCI slots.
If you have a) you can just add any graphics card and have 2 graphic adapters
If you do not have a) you can add a PCI card to any AGP configuration and have 2 graphic adapters.

sniper1rfa
11-10-2006, 08:26 AM
You probably don't have to change the current video card if you don't want to.

It's simple enough just to stick another video card in and plug your monitor into that. Anything halfway decent should support this.

Just remember to run games on the monitor plugged into the faster card. :)

Pacifist_Farmer
11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
KVM cable switch, its great I hit scroll lock twice and a second later I'm looking at the other screen, one mouse and keyboard instead of two of each.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817107407

One of those guys but with integrated sound, and a different MFG'er.

havocx
11-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Only think I suggest is lots of RAM as I find you tend to run twice as many applications then you normally would