PDA

View Full Version : Buffer pads on a dremel

Carbon Blue
11-09-2006, 09:16 PM
After some thinking, it looks like im going to be using my firends dremel with the buffer pad to polish up my gun. I currently use "mothers mag aluminum polish" to buff her up but I think using the dremel with the buffer pad would step it up a little more. Now my question is, is there a specific pad I should be using during this process? or are all buffer pads the same? The reason I ask is because i wonder if there is some type of abrasiveness level that pads go by? Id hate to use a "low grit" buff pad on my gun :ninja:

SR_matt
11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
well from my experance on "german silver" with a plain buff wheel (the kinda hard one that breaks appart as u use it kind of) it didnt polish the metal but more so kind of scratched (i cant think of the word for some reason but liek scratching but more so shallow and more than just one scratch)

id stay with hand polishing it since you can keep it more even but thats my personal oppinion

-matt

lasrsktr
11-09-2006, 10:00 PM
well from my experance on "german silver" with a plain buff wheel (the kinda hard one that breaks appart as u use it kind of) it didnt polish the metal but more so kind of scratched (i cant think of the word for some reason but liek scratching but more so shallow and more than just one scratch)

id stay with hand polishing it since you can keep it more even but thats my personal oppinion

-matt

polishing is just a bunch of fine scratches in the surface of metal... you just have to do it more and more...

rx2
11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
It depends. There are several different types of polishing attachments for Dremel tools. The cotton, wool, and felt pads don't really abrade, and are used with polishing compounds. In such a case, the compound is what determines the grit. There are also polishing pads that are made out of synthetic materials, or have fine abrasives bonded to them. In the case of these types of attachments, you do not use a compound, as the bit itself is acting as the abrasive. Generally, in order to get a very high level of shine, you will use a cotton wheel attachment, with a fine polishing compound, such as a jewelers rouge.

By the way, what specifically are you looking to polish?

Carbon Blue
11-10-2006, 01:55 PM
It depends. There are several different types of polishing attachments for Dremel tools. The cotton, wool, and felt pads don't really abrade, and are used with polishing compounds. In such a case, the compound is what determines the grit. There are also polishing pads that are made out of synthetic materials, or have fine abrasives bonded to them. In the case of these types of attachments, you do not use a compound, as the bit itself is acting as the abrasive. Generally, in order to get a very high level of shine, you will use a cotton wheel attachment, with a fine polishing compound, such as a jewelers rouge.

By the way, what specifically are you looking to polish?

my karta body and rail, along with the frame :D

rx2
11-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Ahh. Those are faily shiny to begin with, correct? You should be fine with a cotton wheel and some compound.

Of course, being that it is aluminum, it will never stay very shiny for long, as aluminum oxidizes rather quickly. If you want to keep it that way, you would have a barrier to prevent oxidization, such as a plating.

StygShore
11-11-2006, 01:22 AM
High polish clear annodize would be your best bet to get it to shine, and not have to keep buffing the crap out of it.

Styg

spike_ball999
11-11-2006, 01:42 AM
High polish clear annodize would be your best bet to get it to shine, and not have to keep buffing the crap out of it.

Styg

I'm not sure how well this would work on paintball stuff, but basic car wax might do the trick for cheap.

It works on my cymbals (I'm a drummer :p) and protects them from oxidizing faster than they usually would after a cleaning. I do have to clean them from time to time, but it's only about once every month or two.

Carbon Blue
11-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Looks like im gonna apply some Meguires/Zaino on her tommorow :D