PDA

View Full Version : Students at Calif. College ban Pledge of Allegiance

BigEvil
11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2006-11-10T021338Z_01_N09494500_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-PLEDGE.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

damn hippies. :tard:

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Ah, the idiocy of youth. Its all just a sad plea for attention.

kosmo
11-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I cant wait for army to come in here and leave a comment about teh lieberals before he locks it for violating the political rule. Seriously though, the "revolutionary" berets were a bit much.

bornl33t
11-10-2006, 08:45 AM
I cant wait for army to come in here and leave a comment about teh lieberals before he locks it for violating the political rule. Seriously though, the "revolutionary" berets were a bit much.

Well, we have one that does it for the libs on the board, why not for the conservatives?
This is just another case of the minority forcing their views on the majority.

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Well, we have one that does it for the libs on the board, why not for the conservatives?
This is just another case of the minority forcing their views on the majority.

Oh yes, the mods are a paragon of liberalism.

Please.

It's a college, they can do what they want; it's not like they banned students from saying it in elementary school. Don't worry, your kids will still be sufficiently brainwashed by mainstream culture at least until they're 17 or 18. (The "your," in this case, is general and directed at no one in particular).

So a community college banned the pledge. There are more important things afoot.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003385591_iraqtoll10.html

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2006/11/10/a_call_to_end_water_apartheid/

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5660961&nav=1TjD

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=apmLjzJpUuLo&refer=asia

The world is falling apart, and you guys are having a hissy fit over some COMMUNITY COLLEGE banning the pledge.

bleachit
11-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Don't worry, your kids will still be sufficiently brainwashed by mainstream culture at least until they're 17 or 18.

Thank God AO has someone as wise and enlightened as yourself to show us the error in "mainstream culture". Please, teach me your ways, so that I too may be enlightened.

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh yes, the mods are a paragon of liberalism.

Please.

It's a college, they can do what they want; it's not like they banned students from saying it in elementary school. Don't worry, your kids will still be sufficiently brainwashed by mainstream culture at least until they're 17 or 18. (The "your," in this case, is general and directed at no one in particular).

So a community college banned the pledge. There are more important things afoot.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003385591_iraqtoll10.html

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2006/11/10/a_call_to_end_water_apartheid/

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5660961&nav=1TjD

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=apmLjzJpUuLo&refer=asia

The world is falling apart, and you guys are having a hissy fit over some COMMUNITY COLLEGE banning the pledge.

By the same token, shouldn't these school activists be worrying about something more important than the pledge of alliegance?

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 10:22 AM
By the same token, shouldn't these school activists be worrying about something more important than the pledge of alliegance?

Absolutely.

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
ehh....CA is more a part of Mexico than the US anyways.

BigEvil
11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
ehh....CA is more a part of Mexico than the US anyways.

They can have it if they want it, but no backsies.

CaptaiN_JacK
11-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Common sense would tell a normal person to simply NOT recite the pledge. Banning it went WAY too far and is an obvious attention-whore tactic.

Altimas
11-10-2006, 11:08 AM

Yes we need to concentrate on more important things like saving the world from the democrats...

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 11:26 AM
When I first read it, I thought for sure it was going to be a school in the People's Republic of Berkeley. After all, those are the same idiots who told the fire department not to put flags on their engines after 9/11 so they didn't offend anyone.

BobTheCow
11-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Yes we need to concentrate on more important things like saving the world from the democrats...
hoo boy that sure was clever thanks for that gem of a zinger hot diggity!

I sincerely hope that the general conservative population is far and away more mature than that, and something can actually be accomplished the next two years.

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 11:53 AM

What's left for them to screw up?

Crap on the environment? Done.
Get in bed with big business? Done.
Huge social welfare programs? Done.
Start an idiotic war with no gameplan? Done.
Spend money without any regard for the future? Done.

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 11:59 AM
What's left for them to screw up?

Crap on the environment? Done.
Get in bed with big business? Done.
Huge social welfare programs? Done.
Start an idiotic war with no gameplan? Done.
Spend money without any regard for the future? Done.

Edit: nevermind, a reread made me feel a lot better.

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 12:05 PM
hoo boy that sure was clever thanks for that gem of a zinger hot diggity!

I sincerely hope that the general conservative population is far and away more mature than that, and something can actually be accomplished the next two years.

i don't think either of the parties are competent to fix or run the government... :(

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 12:15 PM
i don't think either of the parties are competent to fix or run the government... :(
Pirate Party (http://www.pirate-party.us/) ftw!

I'm just kidding, in case anyone was confused. There are a lot of gems in the pseudo-third-party system; Peace and Freedom is another good one (they had a convicted felon that was too young running for president at one point). The Prohibition Party (here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Prohibition_Party)) is also pretty good.

So neither of the two main parties suit you. There are plenty of other whackjobs out there ;). Find them, and unite! I could totally be a Garvey-esque preacher. "UNITE WITH YOUR FELLOWS AND GET BACK TO AFRICA!"

SCpoloRicker
11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I too figured that Bezerkely would be in play. At least those morans are smart.

Orange County community college? Rich kids who were so dumb they couldn't get legacy at a real school.

/Bu-bu-bu-but Clinton!!1!

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Pirate Party (http://www.pirate-party.us/) ftw!

I'm just kidding, in case anyone was confused. There are a lot of gems in the pseudo-third-party system; Peace and Freedom is another good one (they had a convicted felon that was too young running for president at one point). The Prohibition Party (here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Prohibition_Party)) is also pretty good.

So neither of the two main parties suit you. There are plenty of other whackjobs out there ;). Find them, and unite!

are you implying I'm a whackjob? :tard:

both parties spend all their time saying how the other party screwed up, and don't say anything about how the could have done it better. I guess they realize that most people are either blind party line voting sheep, or people trying to pick the lesser of two evils. I mean really, when was the last time you were proud and excited of a politicain you voted for. Go Ralph Nader! :rolleyes:

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 12:30 PM
are you implying I'm a whackjob? :tard:

both parties spend all their time saying how the other party screwed up, and don't say anything about how the could have done it better. I guess they realize that most people are either blind party line voting sheep, or people trying to pick the lesser of two evils. I mean really, when was the last time you were proud and excited of a politicain you voted for. Go Ralph Nader! :rolleyes:

Implying? No, I'm flat out saying ;). I wasn't old enough to vote in the presidential elections in 2004, but if I had been, I don't know who I would have voted for. It would have been a tossup between my admiration for Ralph Nader, and my distaste for Bush.

I agree, though; the vast amount of voters are uneducated. The sad part is that tehy see NO reason whatsoever to educate themselves.

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Implying? No, I'm flat out saying ;). I wasn't old enough to vote in the presidential elections in 2004, but if I had been, I don't know who I would have voted for. It would have been a tossup between my admiration for Ralph Nader, and my distaste for Bush.

I agree, though; the vast amount of voters are uneducated. The sad part is that tehy see NO reason whatsoever to educate themselves.

lol....what gave you that impression?

...and by uneducated, do you mean they don't follow politics, or don't agree with you? :p

WingMan13
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Whaaaa....... :cry:

"...Learn To Swim..."

BigEvil
11-10-2006, 12:41 PM
WOW, this thread is still open? Army must be busy.

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 12:43 PM
lol....what gave you that impression?

...and by uneducated, do you mean they don't follow politics, or don't agree with you? :p

I really don't care if people don't agree with me. It makes me angry when people don't know who their governor is, or who the secretary of defense is, or who "Alan Greenspan" and "Kofi Annan" are... THAT is what cooks my carrots :P. I love informed debates. That's how you learn. I can't stand saying something and having someone give you this blank "wtf?" look. One of my exes didn't care at ALL about politics and it frustrated me to no end.

Altimas
11-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah my previous comment was more in jest, I never know where to stand on political issues because you certaintly cant base an opinion on any of the crap the media feeds you. Republicans do things I dont like and thet I do like and the so do Democrats. Politics just make me depressed...I just want honest leadership who will do the best for our country.

geekwarrior
11-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I really don't care if people don't agree with me. It makes me angry when people don't know who their governor is, or who the secretary of defense is, or who "Alan Greenspan" and "Kofi Annan" are... THAT is what cooks my carrots :P. I love informed debates. That's how you learn. I can't stand saying something and having someone give you this blank "wtf?" look. One of my exes didn't care at ALL about politics and it frustrated me to no end.

I knew what you meant, I was just poking you for the whackjob comment :p

While I do wish people would be more involved/informed, I can understand peoples "not caring" attitude. The corruption of politics is such a turnoff to some people. You can say, well then get involved and vote people in to straighten it out, but I guess its like paintball for so many people. Can't stand the attitudes and cheating in the sport so people just leave, because its easy and they can. And there's no one too vote for.

Now a days its hard to stay informed, not for lack of info, but because there's too much info, and everything has a slant left or right, and its hard to know whats the real story. Stuff is taken out of context so often, or misrepresented, its unbelievable. Many reporters don't do any investigating, they just take what people say as truth, no follow up or checking the facts. I dont mean just political, just news in general. Just run wth the story. Drives me crazy.

edit: Altimas just supported my post in alot fewer words :p

billybob_81067
11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
It makes me angry when people don't know who their governor is, or who the secretary of defense is, or who "Alan Greenspan" and "Kofi Annan" are.

:confused: Never heard of em... elighten me. :)

Pneumagger
11-10-2006, 03:08 PM
:clap:

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 03:29 PM
/Bu-bu-bu-but Clinton!!1!

Hey, I'm famous!

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 03:42 PM
:confused: Never heard of em... elighten me. :)

Your governor is a democrat named Bill Ritter.

The Secretary of Defense WAS Rumsfeld, and is now up in the air (the next possibility is former CIA director Robert Gates).

Alan Greenspan used to be Federal Reserve Chairman (he's an economist). The current Chairman is Bernanke.

Kofi Annan is from Ghana, and is the UN (United Nations) Secretary General.

Consider yourself enlightened.

billybob_81067
11-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Your governor is a democrat named Bill Ritter.

The Secretary of Defense WAS Rumsfeld, and is now up in the air (the next possibility is former CIA director Robert Gates).

Alan Greenspan used to be Federal Reserve Chairman (he's an economist). The current Chairman is Bernanke.

Kofi Annan is from Ghana, and is the UN (United Nations) Secretary General.

Consider yourself enlightened.

:clap: Yay! It's the period of elnlightenment! :clap:

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 05:54 PM
:clap: Yay! It's the period of elnlightenment! :clap:

See? Removing your head from your butt isn't as hard as most people make it out to be, huh.

BeaverEater
11-10-2006, 06:58 PM
well most people dont know about politics because the tv news really doesnt say anything thoughtfull about it and thats were probably 90% of people get their political knowledge. The governer race here in Wisconsin didnt talk about a single issue. They just badmouthed each other and go figure, the one that spent more won the election.

billybob_81067
11-10-2006, 10:24 PM
See? Removing your head from your butt isn't as hard as most people make it out to be, huh.

It's not that I don't care about politics (oh wait, yeah it is!), but I've got more important things to worry about all the time. Can you tell me how the twine knotter on a 348 john deere baler works? Can you tell me what grit of sandpaper I should be sanding my pickup with after applying 2 coats of primer surfacer? Can you tell me how to port the heads off of a 351 windsor so they flow better? Can you tell me how to take 20" dayton wheels and make beadlocks for my 6x6? Do you even know what dayton wheels are?

These are things I care about... not who's kissing who's *** in politics. :)

tropical_fishy
11-10-2006, 10:31 PM
It's not that I don't care about politics (oh wait, yeah it is!), but I've got more important things to worry about all the time. Can you tell me how the twine knotter on a 348 john deere baler works? Can you tell me what grit of sandpaper I should be sanding my pickup with after applying 2 coats of primer surfacer? Can you tell me how to port the heads off of a 351 windsor so they flow better? Can you tell me how to take 20" dayton wheels and make beadlocks for my 6x6? Do you even know what dayton wheels are?

These are things I care about... not who's kissing who's *** in politics. :)

No, but I'm actually interested in learning. That's the difference. I'd love to know that kind of stuff, even though it's totally useless to me.

Carbon
11-10-2006, 11:35 PM
well, read up on the history of the pledge and what it means, in the context of when it was written then and what it means now in the context of todays climate. There is a world of difference.

91Foxtrot
11-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I mean really, when was the last time you were proud and excited of a politicain you voted for.

Barak Obama.

well, read up on the history of the pledge and what it means, in the context of when it was written then and what it means now in the context of todays climate. There is a world of difference.

Kinda like the Bible!

(My wife double dog dared my to post this.)