PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Multiplayer just keeps getting better and better. Sure, I suck, but I have fun. And even I have my moments, like chainsawing 3 guys in a row last match :headbang:

Absolutely a great game. Once I perfect the controls (since they are a bit unusual for the normal FPS player) it'll be even better. Perfect maps, awesome graphics, great gameplay. Truly a killer app for the 360.

Indignant
11-10-2006, 12:50 PM
hell yeah it is. we went out and picked up my friends preordered copy (i don't own any consoles since the N64, i'm a PC gamer guy :]) and took it straight back to the house and played a good 3 hours right then. it's amazing. the graphics are awesome, the gameplay is totally innovative for a shooter, and god damn if it isn't fun. i really love them for putting co-op on the story mode because that's definately the most fun way to play through it. i've had a few spots make me jump, namely the little sections with the Behemoth thing that chases you around, haha. not to mention multiplayer is just awesome. nothing better than curbstomping your friends and not ACTUALLY busting off their jaws :P

Thordic
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Tons of people are complaining about not getting their pre-order, yet my brother walked right into Funcoland and picked up a copy without a problem :)

Soopa Villain17
11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
i too got it today, last copy its pretty cool :shooting:

billybob_81067
11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
hell yeah it is. we went out and picked up my friends preordered copy (i don't own any consoles since the N64, i'm a PC gamer guy :]) and took it straight back to the house and played a good 3 hours right then. it's amazing. the graphics are awesome, the gameplay is totally innovative for a shooter, and god damn if it isn't fun. i really love them for putting co-op on the story mode because that's definately the most fun way to play through it. i've had a few spots make me jump, namely the little sections with the Behemoth thing that chases you around, haha. not to mention multiplayer is just awesome. nothing better than curbstomping your friends and not ACTUALLY busting off their jaws :P

Does the behemoth thing look like a baby whale wearing a yamica?
:ninja:

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 03:28 PM

I'm a PC gamer too, but I realized that my next rig was going to cost over $3000, and I only play one or two games. The value just wasn't there. So I bought a 360 and a few games. Gears is great, NFS is fun, and I'm looking forward to Star Trek legacy. PLUS, I was going to buy a HD DVD player, and you can get a 360 with the HD DVD add-on for only $100 more than an HD DVD player by itself.

What cames you playing lately on the ol' PC? I've really only been playing BF2 and BF2142, though my computer is so slow it makes playing BF2142 more like watching a slideshow.

SCpoloRicker
11-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I told you to get a 360 Steelie... :)

Archangel Kid
11-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Tons of people are complaining about not getting their pre-order.

Really? I went into Best Buy in Brick wed. There was a Gears of War stand FULL of collectors edition and the regular edition.

Thordic
11-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Apparently the delivery got screwed up to a bunch of stores and pre-orders were late. My brother knew a bunch of people who didn't get theirs.

BeaverEater
11-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I got it a couple of days ago and ive put a few hours in. Its a great game but im still trying to master the controls.

Archangel Kid
11-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Ohhh, damn that sucks to be them.

Soopa Villain17
11-10-2006, 08:29 PM
the beserker is tough :(

Steelrat
11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
the beserker is tough :(

You know, I'll probably never know. Single player bores me to death in most games, I'm all about multiplayer.

bentothejam1n
11-10-2006, 11:00 PM
how long is the story mode?

Steelrat
11-11-2006, 12:04 AM
how long is the story mode?
Lowest difficulty setting is supposed to take approximately 10 hours. There are two harder settings, one of which needs to be unlocked. There is also co-op play available.

Head knight of Ni
11-11-2006, 01:51 AM
You know, I'll probably never know. Single player bores me to death in most games, I'm all about multiplayer.

Play COD2's singleplayer. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

LinearGoose
11-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Man I just got this game today, went up to EB and just said I was looking for GOW and they just handed me the copy. Didnt really care for the limited edtion one. Its a really sweet game and looks amazing. Nothing that im used to at least.

Chaos_Theory!
11-11-2006, 02:38 AM
This game along with the fact my nights off work are boring as hell (i work 7pm to 7am) have made me decide to buy an xbox next week. Im sure ill finish the game in no time so multiplayer will be what im on most often.

Soopa Villain17
11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
any idea how get by the berserker i cant do it :(

the game would be so much better if it was fps. also the blood sucks and when you shoto water there is no splashes and the bodys also dissapear :( alright game but i dont belive it lives up to all the hype

LinearGoose
11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
You got to lead him to the other room with all the pillars in it and a door at the very end. Stand at the very end infront of the door and let it charge you but as soon as it is pretty close role out of the way. Your going to have to do this for like 2 or 3 more rooms. I think in the 2 or 3rd one you start getting timed. When you go outside pick up the War Hammer or what ever its called and get some distances to point at the Berserker because it takes time for it to charge up. Also I think if maybe you make it hit something it sort of stays still for a bit giving you the time you need to charge it up. It takes 2 hits to kill it. Hope this helps.

Steelrat
11-11-2006, 04:29 PM
any idea how get by the berserker i cant do it :(

the game would be so much better if it was fps. also the blood sucks and when you shoto water there is no splashes and the bodys also dissapear :( alright game but i dont belive it lives up to all the hype

The whole cover system needs a tps perspective, an fps wouldn't work. And the rounds DO cause splashes, I was just looking at it last night and admiring the effect. Are you running it on a 1080i set?

Personally, the game exceeded my expectations. I love using the locust guy with the red trenchcoat in multiplayer. When you do the "roadie run" the way his coats flaps behind him is just awesome looking.

Soopa Villain17
11-11-2006, 06:05 PM
The whole cover system needs a tps perspective, an fps wouldn't work. And the rounds DO cause splashes, I was just looking at it last night and admiring the effect. Are you running it on a 1080i set?

Personally, the game exceeded my expectations. I love using the locust guy with the red trenchcoat in multiplayer. When you do the "roadie run" the way his coats flaps behind him is just awesome looking.

im running it on a 25 inch walmart special tv lol. but i shot a few hundred rounds into the water with no splashie :(

Steelrat
11-11-2006, 06:12 PM
im running it on a 25 inch walmart special tv lol. but i shot a few hundred rounds into the water with no splashie :(

Well, im 100% sure it does it. It's a small splash, though. It also produces nice ripples.

Fred
11-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I can't play my old Xbox anymore without it being in HD... the quality difference is AMAZING...

/needs a 360...
//like a hole in the head...
///but wants one...

Archangel Kid
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Welp, I was going to wait on this one. But the way you guys keep talking I had to go and pick up a copy. I just went to my local Play-N-Trade and picked it up no problem. Sucks for everyone that pre-ordered and didn't get a copy. :p

Soopa Villain17
11-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Well, im 100% sure it does it. It's a small splash, though. It also produces nice ripples.

for some reason it wont on mine. well im headed to my buddys house , hes got a nice big hd tv so were gunna set er up and play all day

Archangel Kid
11-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh geeze 40 more mins and I can get my fix. I hate you all for brining this thread to life on AO.
/Roadie Run FTW.

3pac
11-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry but this game is just AMAZING! I used to be a PC gamer guy but when I got to college it just wasn't gonna happen on a laptop. Playing GoW takes up most of my day but its just a plain amazing game. As for the pre-order, my copy got stuck at the Memphis plant along with many other's. I'm not going to say anything because its not set in stone but that's the first time FedEx has ever messed up for me. Anyways the game is the ish so if you don't have a 360 you're missing out, and if you don't have GoW, you're missing otu too. :dance:

jenarelJAM
11-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I'll be waiting for the PC port...

Archangel Kid
11-12-2006, 04:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.

3pac
11-12-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.

To each his own although the 360 is a PC without the interface of a useful OS outside of gaming and watching movies and such.

Archangel Kid
11-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh I know. I'm a pc gamer also. I just really wouldn't want to wait for this game to come out for the PC. It's that good.

Steelrat
11-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey, I'm a PC gamer too, but the value just isn't there. $3000+ for a computer with a 30" screen versus $400 for the Xbox 360 and I get to use my spare 42" HDTV. Sure, there are games that are only playable on the PC, but I can live without those for now. Racing games, GoW, and Star Trek: Legacy should keep me happy for now.

Indignant
11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm a PC gamer too, but I realized that my next rig was going to cost over $3000, and I only play one or two games. The value just wasn't there. So I bought a 360 and a few games. Gears is great, NFS is fun, and I'm looking forward to Star Trek legacy. PLUS, I was going to buy a HD DVD player, and you can get a 360 with the HD DVD add-on for only $100 more than an HD DVD player by itself.

What cames you playing lately on the ol' PC? I've really only been playing BF2 and BF2142, though my computer is so slow it makes playing BF2142 more like watching a slideshow.

the counterstrikes, day of deafeats, etc etc. my computer can't run BF2 well enough to keep me from ripping out my eyes, i just play it when i go the LAN center.

ditto, but the single player on GOW is damn sweet. we beat the low difficulty in about a day with co-op.... it was excellent. the multiplayer is obviously much better though.

the game would be so much better if it was fps. also the blood sucks and when you shoto water there is no splashes and the bodys also dissapear alright game but i dont belive it lives up to all the hype

actually, we noticed exactly the opposite... the blood effects are amazing, same with water. the water effects are outstanding, actually. splashes are beautiful and the drops coming up even 'cause SMALLER drops when they land, something i've never seen in a game. it's excellent.

kenndogg
11-13-2006, 07:24 AM
does anyone know what song is playing in the commercial?

Steelrat
11-13-2006, 07:50 AM
It's a remake of Tears for Fears "Mad World." I believe the artist is Gary Jules. It was done for the movie "Donnie Darko."

rkjunior303
11-13-2006, 08:14 AM
So, the previews for this look amazing. It's a 3rd person shooter, right? Is it tactical like Ghost Recon or is it more of just a 3rd person run around and kill everything type like Call of Duty or Quake?

Hey, I'm a PC gamer too, but the value just isn't there. $3000+ for a computer with a 30" screen versus $400 for the Xbox 360 and I get to use my spare 42" HDTV. Sure, there are games that are only playable on the PC, but I can live without those for now. Racing games, GoW, and Star Trek: Legacy should keep me happy for now.
"Spare" 42'' HDTV.

Must be nice ;)

Pneumagger
11-13-2006, 08:24 AM
It's a 3rd person shooter and kill everything. The storyline is amazing. I haven't even played it online yet it's so good.

The only bad part about the multiplayer is that you get 1 life per game... so dont die. I would say it's wery comparible to a quake 4 or Doom type of game... only 3rd person.

Soopa Villain17
11-13-2006, 08:37 AM
So, the previews for this look amazing. It's a 3rd person shooter, right? Is it tactical like Ghost Recon or is it more of just a 3rd person run around and kill everything type like Call of Duty or Quake?

"Spare" 42'' HDTV.

Must be nice ;)

yea must be nice , ive got a 20+ year old 25 inch tv from sears.

Thordic
11-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Theres tactics as well, to an extent. You need to use cover to your advantage, etc, or else you'll get owned quickly.

Steelrat
11-13-2006, 10:26 AM

"Spare" 42'' HDTV.

Must be nice ;)

Closer to Ghost Recon than Quake. It's a blast! Definately not your typical "run and gun" fps shooter. Tactics like covering fire, surpression fire, flanking moves and such are necessary and useful. Use of cover is an integral part of the game, and if you try to run around solo like you were playing Doom, you'll get your butt handed to you.

As for the tv, once I upgraded to the 60" HDTV, the 42" was relegated to the basement. Good to have a use for it now ;)

bunny5
11-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Xbox 360 Customer Service
30 minutes of my time
$140 down the drain
$20 for shipping
4-6 weeks

Then I will finally get to play Gears of Wars....

:rolleyes:

Archangel Kid
11-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Xbox 360 Customer Service
30 minutes of my time
$140 down the drain
$20 for shipping
4-6 weeks

Then I will finally get to play Gears of Wars....

:rolleyes:

¿Que?

bentothejam1n
12-26-2006, 10:18 PM
ugh i jsut got GOW today and its amazing. i still dont have my xbox live hooked up yet but the campaign is amazing. i love the new cver system. i cant wait to play on live. my only camplaint is that everybody runs so slow

HarrysSon
12-27-2006, 03:15 AM
i guess im one of the only ones that isnt crazy about GoW

fire1811
12-27-2006, 11:10 AM
i guess im one of the only ones that isnt crazy about GoW

Your are correct

Pneumagger
12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Your are correct
seconded.

gibby
12-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Yep Steely...I need to pick this game up myself. My gf got me a 360 core for xmas but I'll be exchanging it for a premium soon. I'll hit you up when I get myself set up with Live and the game. :)

Pneumagger
12-27-2006, 01:31 PM
1 year XBL is worth every penny for Halo 2 and GOW alone.

turbo chicken
12-27-2006, 02:07 PM
great game but I sold it for viva pinata ... wife said I can get gears of war again after she get an account so we can play together ... she so friggin rocks!!!

but the game rocks we played thru it on hardcore the first day ...

BeaverEater
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
GOW is good, but its really not that amazing. I havent played in since the first week i got it. Theres much better games out there.

sbpyro
12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Can't wait to try the co-op mode. That is the one thing I really don't like about COD is no co-op mode. Up until now I've been playing Ghost Recon and Marvel ultimate alliance.

rkjunior303
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I have ghost recon but i haven't really played it yet. i bounce between COD3 and Saints Row. To be honest, our favorite game in the house is Table Tennis.

Saints Row is more the mindless game when i want to kill an hour..

bentothejam1n
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM
anybody know what cog tags are for?'
edit nevermind

Pneumagger
12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
One thing I like about GOW is the level playing field. There is no "overpowering weapon". The weapons in the game make it such that no player really has a huge advantage in most combat. Other than sniping from a long distance... everything is pretty leveled out and with most weapons matchups... the win goes to the better player moreso than guy with the best weapon.

Plus the different user controls like sprinting and diving, having to actually pick up ammo if needed, and getting wounded really complete the experience. Having great maneuverability skills is usually more important than the weapon matchup in most any fight.Single life matches also eliminate the type of player that bum rushes the opponent to just try to take somebody out.

Machine gun: Standard Starting weapon. If you can hit what you aim at well - this is pretty much devastating. Decent range and good close up.

Saw (part of the machine gun): Probably the best close combat gun and stealth attac weapon. reall yonly usefull for when the enemy is too close for a rifle.

Shotgun: Balances out the dominance of the chainsaw. A little tougher to use... and ineffective at any distance.

Sniper: great for long ranges. A head shot is a kill. Lack of assisted aiming makes this a tough cookie to master. And the one shot bolt action really limits it's use in many situations and allows the enemy a fairer fight to approach you.

Pistol: This is the backup weapon. Although smaller and less firepower... if you can hit heads - it can be as good as any other gun out there.

Hand Shotgun: Basically a small hand sized shotgun. Useful up close, worthless otherwise

Smoke grenade: Everyone has 'em. They are great for laying down an anti sniper blanket

Frag grenade: Good to toss. Good to attach to people and run away. This is probably more useful up close combat due to the sticky feature. Just smack somebody and run.

Bow: Probably one of the most powerful weapons. However it fires extremely slow and takes alot of skill to use.

Rocket launcher: More of a rocket lobber. This weapon is tough to hit opponents and has 2 shots before gone. Powerful, but as with the Bow, it can be very vulnerable.

Hammer of Dawn: More or less a sattelite strike that you guide with the gun. By far the most powerful killing machine. However, it takes quite a bit of time, line of sight weapon, only works on people outside in the open, and can fry yourself just as easily as everyone else.

fire1811
12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
great game but I sold it for viva pinata ... wife said I can get gears of war again after she get an account so we can play together ... she so friggin rocks!!!

but the game rocks we played thru it on hardcore the first day ...

I tell you what I never liked "Sim like" games but I got Viva Pinata for X-Mas and have to say its addicting as hell. Good fun

etjoyride
12-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I am going to have to renew my subscription to live in a month. My two most commonly played live games or Halo2 and GOW, i need to get COD3 now...

Pneumagger
12-27-2006, 03:27 PM
COD3 = COD 2 with minor changes. Same Graphics engine, so no change there and very minor game play changes. Basically, same guy different battle. Even gamer magazine said it's probably not worth the upgrade to COD 3 unless your bored of COD 2. It sounded more like an expansion to COD2 than a new game in the review.

rkjunior303
12-27-2006, 03:33 PM
I enver played COD2 so I didn't mind playing COD3. I'm just about finished with it then I'll try to beat it on hard. I won't buy GOW until I beat COD3.

Pneumagger
12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm not saying COD3 is bad or anything as it should still be a lil bit better... just that those who are content with COD2 might be better off saving $60 and getting another game.

geekwarrior
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm not saying COD3 is bad or anything as it should still be a lil bit better... just that those who are content with COD2 might be better off saving $60 and getting another game.

since we're off topic anyways....anyone still play COD:UO on PC?

Steelrat
12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Yep Steely...I need to pick this game up myself. My gf got me a 360 core for xmas but I'll be exchanging it for a premium soon. I'll hit you up when I get myself set up with Live and the game. :)

Look me up, I play just about every night :shooting:

XBOX 360 name SSteelratt

Pneumagger
12-28-2006, 05:32 PM
My XBL is Seckz

NotKai
12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Co-op
+
Gears of War
+
High-def projector
+
Multi-thousand dollar surround sound

One of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.

Steelrat
12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Co-op
+
Gears of War
+
High-def projector
+
Multi-thousand dollar surround sound

One of the greatest gaming experiences of all time.

I keep telling people...

Find a good group of people to play with, and you are golden. Good times for hours on end.

personman
12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I keep telling people...

Find a good group of people to play with, and you are golden. Good times for hours on end.
Try hooking 4 xboxes up in one room.
Hell yeah that was fun.
GOW FTW.
I dont even like console gaming (wii doesnt count) and it was fun.
I want a 360 now :(

Steelrat
12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Try hooking 4 xboxes up in one room.
Hell yeah that was fun.
GOW FTW.
I dont even like console gaming (wii doesnt count) and it was fun.
I want a 360 now :(

I wasn't a console gamer at all until a month ago, when I figured out that I would have to spend thousands to build a new gaming PC, and only $400 to get a 360. Getting Gears proved that I made the right choice.

personman
12-29-2006, 01:59 PM
I wasn't a console gamer at all until a month ago, when I figured out that I would have to spend thousands to build a new gaming PC, and only $400 to get a 360. Getting Gears proved that I made the right choice.
Yea, its definitely a great price for what you get. I just prefer computer gaming.

Thordic
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
My brother works at a comics & games store, and some nights after they close a bunch of people bring in their Xboxes and they link them all up. They have four TVs and two projectors and can get 24 people playing at the same time, its awesome.

If we could wrangle up enough 360's we should give GOW a shot too.

Steelrat
12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
My brother works at a comics & games store, and some nights after they close a bunch of people bring in their Xboxes and they link them all up. They have four TVs and two projectors and can get 24 people playing at the same time, its awesome.

If we could wrangle up enough 360's we should give GOW a shot too.

The limit of 8 players hurts large gaming groups, but my halo/beer parties used to run about 8 people, so it'd work fine for me.

From what I've seen, GoW has a lot more of the "Oh DAMN!" sort of moments that Halo ever did.

Head knight of Ni
12-30-2006, 11:50 AM
COD3 = COD 2 with minor changes. Same Graphics engine, so no change there and very minor game play changes. Basically, same guy different battle. Even gamer magazine said it's probably not worth the upgrade to COD 3 unless your bored of COD 2. It sounded more like an expansion to COD2 than a new game in the review.

Actually, SP is nearly the same, but MP is way different from the usual COD. It's class based and there are vehicles (tank, jeep, motorcycle). This takes the focus off of the weapons IMO and I don't like it near as much as COD 2. It's still worth it for the online multi with guests.

fire1811
12-30-2006, 12:35 PM
The ability to throw grenades back in COD3 makes it worth it.