PDA

View Full Version : venting... what a day

MoeMag
11-13-2006, 01:52 AM
So the whole thing started last night...
I never play at the main place to play around just because everyone there knows me from working at the paintball store, and everyone thinks I'm always working. Which is fine, I am more than glad to help someone out having problems with their gun.
Anyway last night at the shop we were unusually slow because of the holiday NASCAR (By the way that had traffic backed up a half a hours drive away from the track) and a Cardinals football game. (I have never seen so many accidents on one freeway in my life... damn drunk tailgaters). Well standard policy that is posted with big signs everywhere in the shop "all gun repairs brought in on Fridays or Saturdays must be left". Well because it was slow I worked on this fellas gun cause he was going out playing the next day. So anyways he was really happy and dropped me a big tip.
So what do I decide… easy come easy go. Everyone in the shop just got all their ’07 dye gear from world cup in Orlando, so they all were going to play at the field (referred to as 23bps). I’m usually too cheap to actually pay to go paintball, so I never go there, but with that tip I said okay I’m going to go play.
Get there at 8 and pay my entry fee. While I’m waiting on the other fellas from the shop to arrive, every paintballer in the state it seems shows up, and yeah they all know me. So 8:30 I get a guy with a messed up shocker… well Predator boards suck (if you don’t agree with that, well that’s okay, but this board was *poo) anyways… about 10:00 or so I call it quits on the shocker board is fried, SOL. So our main guy is still not there, so we decide to skip on wasting paint on the speedball field until he shows up… so off to recball field we go. What do I do… drop my ego and grab my mag with a revvy. BOLT LEAK! Okay so instead of messing with the lvl 10 in middle of the dirt parking lot I swap valves from my e-mag to my RT that I was using. HOLY PAINT CHOP AND BOLT JAM batman, after dropping an RT stream (its still stuck). So I go grab my ego… I hate how that thing shoots. The trajectory off an ego is in the ground 30 ft away in a 15 ft diameter circle (06 ego, hardshell bolt and Ti rammer, DW whisper barrel w/ correct size insert) Vs. the Mag that was straight as an arrow and actually hits the nets on the far side! Word… I suppose there is something to be said about a spooler… okay fine blow forward.
So I get my ego going and we get on deck… and wait half an hour to get on their NPPL OC spyder field because of the other 90 or so people there. I make it their 40… drop 4 pods and a hopper, all the while my back players quest starts blending paint like an ICEE machine.
Well I had to be somewhere at 1 so I left around noon having only played 1 rec ball game, jamming my gun, and 1 speedball game with a gun that for the price I am disappointed in its performance (maintenance is still awesome though.)

What is it about paintball guns that make them shoot so differently from each other?
The Ego Is an awesome gun to shoot, Its so fast and reliable. I put the hardshell bolt in it, and noticed an increase in efficiency, which was great, but day to day all I do is chrono guns over a distance of 20 ft in the back of the shop. So I don’t get to see the long-range characteristics of paintballs flight. So I bought an ego on the fact they are never in the shop getting worked on, they are really fast, and efficient… what more could you ask for?

Well out on the field this new more efficient bolt, it had even worse flight than the stock bolt it seemed.

Is it the whole low-pressure thing? I mean yeah you get the same ball velocity out of any gun... 300fps. But because of the low pressure and less air usage is there less "umph" pushing the ball?

I haven’t been playing much in the past year, it seemed like at the field everyone had what was two years ago, considered the uber rich high ends. I got hit, with a quest, in the hand holding my gun, and it just felt like the ball just landed on my hand and broke. I remember getting hit in the hand and having to sit out a few games because you were not sure if you broke your fingers.
What’s going on? Are we merely concerned with efficiency and speed, and give a crap about flight dynamics? I don’t care what anyone says, there is something going on that gun designers are ignoring.

Modern guns are like shooting shotguns, one ball of shot at a time, thus why high ROF helps makes up for that.

I don’t know how many of you paintballers shoot, but I picked up a shotgun for the first time not too long ago and because of paintball, I was awesome at skeet shooting my first time out. One of my friends that got me into paintballing did the same thing and won a skeet shooting contest the first time he was out with his church group... even won a John Deere tractor hat :rolleyes:

Sure a shotgun is good for close combat, but that just doesn’t match the American precision one shot one kill attitude… what’s the #1 noob mentality, Sniper. Maybe there is something to that.

If that means that I would have to buy a box of 50 paintball bullets… instead of a 15 pound box of #68 shot, to shoot through a gun with decent trajectory I would do it.

I was shooting Ultra Evil RPS from NPPL OC and a case of Proto, so its not that I was using cheap paint or bad barrels… cause I wasn’t. Throughout the day I tried my DW whisper (proto was running 691 and evil was 689), .688 boomstick, .689 cp, and then finally thinking the whisper barrel might be the culprit I tried my freak barrel… all with similar results. The ego dropped and the mag went like a dart.

Well I guess I just did a good job of nailing every bad aspect of paintball equipment.

End rant.

olinar
11-13-2006, 02:02 AM
well that just sucks,heres my story

i had no school on friday for veterans day,so we decided to go paintballing since we hav ent gone in a while.this is the first time ppaintballing with my mag so i was very excited.i got my gear bag ready,packed up some drinks,went to the loacl pb store and filled my tanks.we go down to the field and were all suitin up so to speak.i pull my mag out(etac pieced together)out an threw the tank on it.well it airs up and it wont shoot.i was so pissed that i didnt even want to play.i wanted to use my mag so bad.plus we only go like once every 2 months or so because were all so busy.so i pull out my tippy 98 and the f'in macro bursts.god it sucked.but i went on with my 98 and kicked some serious butt.gogged 4 people(twice my brother)

Triangle
11-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Wow guys, Life is terrible.

LinearGoose
11-13-2006, 02:58 AM
This very thing happend to Flawlez and me when we decided to go paintballing in about 3 or so months that we havent. My Emag wouldnt shoot at all so I had to use one of his back ups. Thank God he brought like 5 guns or else it would have been a waste of a day. Even his back ups messed up on me and to make things worst I played like poo. I was doing the dumbest things on the field. Well hopefully my Emag will be working this time around when we go play and not start acting up on me.

Skoad
11-13-2006, 05:39 AM
When I played, that was a typical paintball outting 1 in 3ish times - and if it wasn't me there was always someone I was with that had the bad day. Either gun wasn't performing, paint wasn't performing, or field (owner) wasn't performing. Paintball's a crapshoot (figuratively and literally) :rolleyes:

Part of the reason I don't bother to play anymore. It takes 10 field fee's to have one decent day.

eric_503
11-13-2006, 12:49 PM
seems like everyone is having field problems :rolleyes: i went yestureday and basicly every gun was a blender i had to use my a-5 with a 5 inch barrel just to get past barrel breaks and breech chops (my assault 80 didnt even get past the chrono without chopping) i could basicly run past a group of renters and only be full of spray because basicly every ball chopped:(

Draken
11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I think we have all had bad days at the field, anything from working on markers to hoppers blending (yes, my halo b got hungry one day) to junk paint blah blah...it sucks, but its what we have to live with at times...all i can say is keep playing and trying to have fun...those days come along also where you can do no wrong on the field :clap:

BigEvil
11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Nothing like a good rant. :D

MoeMag
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
After a good nights sleep, and reflection... I added more!

Pneumagger
11-13-2006, 02:42 PM
First time we had the AO mini meet-up a few months ago, I showed up with 4mags...2 were mine and 2 were people's that I was converting for testing. I hadn't even got to the chrono station and 3 out four were broke down. 1 bolt leak/kink, 1 set of exploded pneumatics, and one case of emag finickeyness. I hate those days.

Since then I've narrowed my selection down to the 3 ideal guns IMO and hopefully I'll have no more reliability problems.
Pump: Phantom
Semi: Automag (pneumag)
Electro: Viking

As far as the ego's horrible trajectory... only spin can effect the flight after the ball leaves. perhaps the ego bolt imparts a topspin on the ball, or that paint is a poor choice for the gun and DW whisper barrel :confused: I'm not doubting you... I'm just saying that it seems odd.

chip08
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I shot my roomates ego about a week ago for the first time. Awesome piece of equioment, and it seemed fine on the trajectory part? He still makes fun of my Emag though... chuff...

etjoyride
11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
the past 2-3 times i have gone to play i have ended up either not playing at all because both my mag and cocker won't work correctly, or i use my PGP (which is fun but difficult when the others all have electros).

onedude36
11-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Is this logan? We had a talk that sounded like this, or was that sunday, cant remember.

MoeMag
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Is this logan? We had a talk that sounded like this, or was that sunday, cant remember.

No.
Logan was the reason we ended up playing rec ball for so long until he finally showed up. then his quest is the one that shot me in the hand.

edit: now that I think about it logan always shoots at 270fps

I'm the tall skinny guy.

onedude36
11-13-2006, 10:51 PM
ok, i dont specifically remember you though sorry. Im the fat reff in the red sweater. If you guys were there on saturday, i was playing pump, sunday i was reffing.

MoeMag
11-13-2006, 11:00 PM
ok, i dont specifically remember you though sorry. Im the fat reff in the red sweater. If you guys were there on saturday, i was playing pump, sunday i was reffing.

Like I said I only played 1 speedball game. If you go to APD Im Roark. try and keep this on the DL, I posted here instead of pbaz cause i didnt think anyone from az would be here... let alone a ref at the field

olinar
11-13-2006, 11:02 PM
lol im from az but ive never been to that field.i play at local deserts/woods
the on i go to is on crismon and baseline i believe or somehwere in the area.

MoeMag
11-13-2006, 11:05 PM
lol im from az but ive never been to that field.i play at local deserts/woods
the on i go to is on crismon and baseline i believe or somehwere in the area.
Well, Im up in cave creek and tend to stay up that way. Im usually a desert player too, but what can ya expect working at APD

paintballfiend
11-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Hey, we all have had those kind of days before. There is nothing worse than waiting to go paintballing for weeks and end up beibg a crappy day.

pimped mag 01
11-15-2006, 01:45 AM
i don't know whats up with your EGO. my two friends shoot ego's with cure bolts and those thing are mad accurate as well as having awesome range. maybe its the ti-rammer

-Brett-

DiRTyBuNNy
11-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I honestly couldn't read that post because it was way too long...I just wanted to see if my account still worked on here...it does...oh well..

--Mr. DB

Aslan
11-17-2006, 08:40 PM
This happened last year, but it's one of my many "gun problem" days:

First time using my Mag at a field after installing the Level 10. Leaked. Tried to mes with it, then it leaked out the back. Tuned out the reg piston assembly needed to be replaced.

Pulled out my old Spyder. Played one game 2 on 3 on an airball field (first time playing on an airball field). My buddy immediately gets hit...I beat the 3 guys and think, "Hey, this speedball stuff ain't so hard!"

Go back to the car and grab my old Rebel LE. I had done some work on the springs and wanted to try it out. Game after game...same problem...ball break...ball break...ball break...JAM. Ball Break....Ball Break...JAM. In the last game that i used it, it jammed so bad that my sweaty hands couldn't pull the bolt back to unjam it and I had to call myself out.

Went to the car...got out the VL Prodigy I had just got off Ebay. Used it the rest of the day. Worked great! The only problem I had was the Revy didn't quite fit in the feedneck (a little loose) so it fell off the gun a couple times.

There are many 2-gun and 3-gun days in my paintball history...but I think that was my only 4-gun day. Might have been one more last fall...fortunately now that my Classic Mag is up and running...I can count on it 100% with no worries. :bounce: :cheers:

deathstalker
11-18-2006, 06:29 AM
We do seem to blame the equipment first, eh? :) There are only a few constants, but the most important one is you. I sometimes have to re-acquaint myself after switching markers, especially if I'm using one I don't use a lot or haven't used in months. It just seems likely to me that using a different marker changed your shooting posture somewhat and you were just aiming lower.

FromTheBack
11-20-2006, 05:01 AM
I know what you mean Moe....maybe not to the extreme you are seeing but definate difference. I've owned an Ego, a few DMs, and mags to find that Egos definately shoot a wider spread. I absolutely love Eclipse for their attitude in the industry and the reliability of their equipment but I can't get over the flight of balls from the Ego I had. Honestly I'll probably end up selling my DMC to buy an ego as backup to my DM6 which hasnt had any problems recently but it's always good to be prepared with a damn well reliable gun.

Something that might help you on it though, I've heard that a D.A.R.T bolt with an upped LPR will create a straighter line.