PDA

View Full Version : Tom or anyone @ AGD that would know......Theory about range & barrel length.

Nitroduck
12-29-2001, 07:24 PM
Hello, I have had an idea about range that I've been figuring out and needed some input from Tom or anyone that's done testing with velocities and such.

My question is basied on my idea : after a certain length of a barrel (14"), range will start to suffer.

My idea is baised on this : I can remember awhile back Tom posted about maximum velocity achieved. I remember him saying that after a certain length of barrel (I remember him saying 6"....but not quite sure there) the ball would start to de-accellerate.
My idea was this : when de-accelleration occurs, and you have paint that will rub up against the sides of the barrel, it creates friction. Because of that, it slows the ball down. My question is this.

When the ball starts to de-accellerate, will the increase in gas useage (by using a longer barrel) result in a faster decay of velocity versus a shorter barrel at the same exit velocity?
My idea for this stems from the fact of me trying a 20" TASO stone cold 2 versus my 12" All American barrel on my mag, he had his FPS set about 20 above mine , but I didnt have to arc my gun as far as he did to hit a certain target.

So....Tom.....Have you ever done any tests concerning this? I dont have the funds quite yet to do it....But wanted to get an advanced opinion on this to see if it'd be worthwhile for me to do it.

Thanks!

Russ
12-29-2001, 07:40 PM
Hit the resources tab at the top of the page, and read "Tom's Tech Tips" It's all there, dude :)