PDA

View Full Version : Pf

FARMER00
11-20-2006, 10:57 PM
what is the difference between the powerfeed on a classic mag and the normal angled feed on a classic?
i heard somewhere it had something to do with chopping but i dont see how it could make a difference

slateman
11-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Short story: Powerfeed prevents chopping. When the bolt moves forward, it forces some air back up through the feedtube. That air could push a ball up, especially if there are only a few left in the hopper. The shooter, unaware of this, continues firing at his/her rapid pace. A ball doesn't completely get all the way into the breach and gets cut in half.

Powerfeed eliminates this.

FARMER00
11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Short story: Powerfeed prevents chopping. When the bolt moves forward, it forces some air back up through the feedtube. That air could push a ball up, especially if there are only a few left in the hopper. The shooter, unaware of this, continues firing at his/her rapid pace. A ball doesn't completely get all the way into the breach and gets cut in half.

Powerfeed eliminates this.

so this could be solved buy drilling a hole in a specific place with a body that isnt PF?

Sam5992
11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
isnt it basically a blowback vent? or i guess on a mag a blow forward vent? i know that on 98 customs you can port the feedneck, or on m89s u can turn the gills into blowback vents. i think that a correctly placed hole should accomplish the same thing

Raven001
11-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't know that PF prevented chopping but if you had a normal feed you ran the risk of blowing a ball back up into your hopper. The mag has a certain amount of blowback or whatever its called and if there isn't enough weight on the stack of balls, poof, goo in your hopper.

Lenny
11-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Hmm... I always remember it being advertised as a rate-of-feed thing. The paint ricochets off the back and into the chamber faster. Honestly, I think it was mostly hype, but whatever. It left it's mark in the industry.

PumpPlayer
11-21-2006, 01:59 PM
If you will notice, "regular" side-feed 'Mag bodies also have a vent hole in them.
It's not a simple matter of drilling a vent hole in the right place.

There is a small ammount of gas that is released upwards into the feed tube when backpressure from firing the ball is allowed to expand into the breech area as the bolt moves backwards. With a longer barrel, this effect is slightly more noticable. If you want to see for yourself, remove the hoper, load one ball into the breech, sprinkle some talcum powder into the feed tube and fire it. You'll see the talc puff outwards slightly.

This air must be allowed to escape from the breech. That's what the vent hole is for.
In a powerfeed, however, the escaping air is directed around a single ball rather than a stack and any upward force actually causes the ball to rebound of the PF plug and into the breech rather than higher up into the feed tube. The effect is only slight but it is measureable.

Note that PF only works in this fashion is the design of the marker allows air to escape into the breech after firing. 'Cockers, for instance, do not benefit in this way from a powerfeed.

The real advantage of PF, IMO, is that it offsets your hopper to sit behind your bunker (right-handed shooters should use a PFHL). There are a few other minor avantages, too.

Phantom_Mag
11-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Some people actually prefer standard because they can look right down the body with out any object in the way. With powerfeed, the tube block you from doing this. Others, like myself, just buy warp xmags.

don miguel
11-21-2006, 03:29 PM
what is the difference between the powerfeed on a classic mag and the normal angled feed on a classic?
i heard somewhere it had something to do with chopping but i dont see how it could make a difference
If that is true, is that why the older emags had a powerfeed? or was it the hype part that lenny was talking about? I bet Tom could awnser that.
http://airgun.com/museum/largetiffs/e-magvm.jpg
it looks good!

BigEvil
11-21-2006, 04:00 PM
The older emags had power feeds cus AGD was very hesitent to adapt to the changing market. Guns were already appearing with centerfeeds and were gaining popularity quickly.

neppo1345
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
The older emags had power feeds cus AGD was very hesitent to adapt to the changing market. Guns were already appearing with centerfeeds and were gaining popularity quickly.

But I thought Tom invented Power Feed?

don miguel
11-22-2006, 11:32 AM
But they eventually gave in with the low rise center feed twist lock!:
http://store.airgun.com/images/product/large/lg_278.jpg
I still think those classic emags with the power feeds look really cool though!
Oh yeah, I might as well ask this question here: why dosen't AGD make a Y-grip emag? would that be cool, or not? I think it would work better for me (have problems with right wrist because it was badly broken) and for other people as well. Everything inside the emag would have to be re-located or re-made but it's an idea! and also enlarge the trigger guard a little to make it easier to walk. If I had photoshop I would make it but I don't, could someone do it on photoshop for me? tell me what you guys think about the idea!

athomas
11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
But they eventually gave in with the low rise center feed twist lock!:

I still think those classic emags with the power feeds look really cool though!
Oh yeah, I might as well ask this question here: why dosen't AGD make a Y-grip emag? would that be cool, or not? I think it would work better for me (have problems with right wrist because it was badly broken) and for other people as well. Everything inside the emag would have to be re-located or re-made but it's an idea! and also enlarge the trigger guard a little to make it easier to walk. If I had photoshop I would make it but I don't, could someone do it on photoshop for me? tell me what you guys think about the idea!

The low rise feednecks were better for force feed hoppers like the HALO.

The powerfeeds helped prevent blowback from pushing the ball stack back up into the hopper. There was the added benefit of quicker feeding by having the ball bounce off the back wall of the powerfeed and into the breach. With the level 10 and forcefeed hoppers, the powerfeed doesn't offer any advantages over a straight feed.

In order to make the emag into a Y grip, the electronics would have to be redesigned. Its not something AGD is ready to do right now due to design and production costs, especially since it is not producing any new emags.