PDA

View Full Version : iTunes.

tropical_fishy
11-27-2006, 12:18 PM
So basically, I'm angry.

My iTunes decided today that not only does it hate me, but it hates all the music I've ripped off CDs (please note that I've bought most of said CDs legally). This is incredible amounts of music, something like 30-40GB. Which may not be a whole lot, but still is a lot of songs to re-download, a lot of which is random classical music I doubt I'll find on limewire or something like that.

Now, iTunes has not touched the music that I did NOT download entirely legally, through mytunes, or whatnot... it has only decided that it can't find my legal music. Is there any way for me to bypass this without going through and re-downloading everything (illegally)? Is there any way I can do this without KILLING MY LKHSLKHDKJDHFing COMPUTER?

Help. I'm dying. I need my music to go runing and for the ~8 hour plane ride I have coming up on Dec 17th and for walking around campus pretending I have a soundtrack to my life :(.

Lohman446
11-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Sue Apple?

rkjunior303
11-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Screw iTunes.

If you use a PC, download Winamp and use the iPod support on there - that's all I ever use.

tech-chan
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Load window media player and load the music onto there using the load music thing...
Then goto the Itunes and take the music out of that file and make it change the file back to mp3. Your music is now in mp3 mode, tada!

tropical_fishy
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Screw iTunes.

If you use a PC, download Winamp and use the iPod support on there - that's all I ever use.

Winamp won't do the same thing? I thought it was kind of a global issue (or so the people I've talked to have told me). What format does winamp play, only mp3?

Mmmmfff. It'd be nice to get rid of iTunes.

PS- thanks Lohman, your help is... well, there aren't even any words. :P

rkjunior303
11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Winamp plays all media files. It's all I've ever used.

Hexis
11-27-2006, 01:31 PM
iTunses doesn't store music in a propitary format. You can configure it to rip to MP3s. By default it will rip to AACs. Have you looked at the filesystem on your drive? Are the files intact?

SpecialBlend2786
11-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Winamp won't do the same thing? I thought it was kind of a global issue (or so the people I've talked to have told me). What format does winamp play, only mp3?

Mmmmfff. It'd be nice to get rid of iTunes.

PS- thanks Lohman, your help is... well, there aren't even any words. :P

Yep, winamp plays everything and it doesnt mess around with your files. It's all I use as well. Granted I don't have an iPod and I hate iTunes.

robnix
11-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Yep, winamp plays everything and it doesnt mess around with your files. It's all I use as well. Granted I don't have an iPod and I hate iTunes.

I prefer this over winamp:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

surfbum
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
are you sure that itunes deleted all your files?

sometimes itunes gets messed up and everything is gone from your itunes library but the files are still on your computer

a couple ways to get your music back if it did get deleted:
1. if you have an ipod, download a program called ipodrip, it will allow you to put all the music on your ipod back on your computer
2. if any of your music was downloaded from the itunes music store you can contact the itunes music store customer support and they will let you redownload anything you bought from them for free

hope this helps

thecavemankevin
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Sue Apple?

murder steve jobs?

then

toss the brick in the pool and shoot the salesman who sold you the ipod and well, if you werent the only chicka here and just so darn cool i'd sugguest hanging yourself for owning one. But since i cant sugguest that, hows about you sting up hitech cause i know he worships his ipod :)

but if you dont like that do you know if your original files are still intact on your system? How did you rip them in the first place? Did you use itunes? if not check the files with windows media player (assuming you are on a windows based pc).

Pneumagger
11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I had A TON of music a few months back...
When I got an iBook, the itunes on it rearranged, renamed, and moved everything to another folder. It mis-labeled about 20% of my songs and I can't ever find those songs. :cuss:
Now my iBook is for sale in the misc. BST thread for half of what I paid ---> 'nuff said

trop... try searching in a different directory... itunes messed all my arrangement up and did the same thing. To be sure that they are still there somewhere... check your disk usage on the HDD, 30-40 gig fluctaions are pretty noticable :rofl:

thecavemankevin
11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
To be sure that they are still there somewhere... check your disk usage on the HDD, 30-40 gig fluctaions are pretty noticable :rofl:

thats what i was thinking. If you cant find it in itunes, look in my music the work backwords up the tree till you find them.

tropical_fishy
11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
murder steve jobs?

then

toss the brick in the pool and shoot the salesman who sold you the ipod and well, if you werent the only chicka here and just so darn cool i'd sugguest hanging yourself for owning one. But since i cant sugguest that, hows about you sting up hitech cause i know he worships his ipod :)

but if you dont like that do you know if your original files are still intact on your system? How did you rip them in the first place? Did you use itunes? if not check the files with windows media player (assuming you are on a windows based pc).

My ipod was a graduation gift. It's on its last legs as is, so... after this there probably won't be another ipod, it has given me too much trouble.

Someone lay this out for me, really nice and simple-like. I don't know anything about computers, but I'm good with directions, so someone tell me, on a windows PC, where I should search and what I should look for. Okay, nevermind, scratch that, I found some of the music (a lot of it is MIA, but oh well). What do I do now? It's in... mpeg4 format. How do I rectify that? And where on earth did the other half of this music go? Why is iTunes rearranging my computer? I didn't change ANYTHING... one second everything was there, and the next, it was giving me that little f-you, I can't find this music symbol and message.

Triangle
11-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Here are ways to make your songs appear in the library again:
Drag your iTunes folder (by default, located inside your My Music folder in your My Documents folder) to the iTunes window. You will see the songs in your library again, but you won't see any of your original playlists.
If that doesn't work, your songs may be elsewhere on your hard disk. From the Start Menu, choose Search and search for a song by title or artist. Drag folders containing songs to iTunes to add the songs to iTunes again.
If you don't find songs by searching, check the Recycle Bin.

jenarelJAM
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Sorry to threadjack a little bit, but I have a similar question, and rather than create a new thread about it...

All of my music is in AAC format. I know exactly where it is, I know exactly how it's organized on my hard drive. What I want is some way to convert it back into mp3 format. Is this possible? I mean, My ipod is kinda dying, and actually, I lost it a couple nights ago anyways, dunno if I'll find it. And I don't really feel like paying $250 for a new ipod, so I was thinking I might find some other kind of mp3 player. Except... with all my songs in AAC format, I'm kinda locked into itunes and ipods. All my songs are unprotected, so don't worry about that, I was just wondering if anyone knew how to convert them?
Thanks.

Oh, and Tropical Fishy, the only thing I can think of happening to yours is that perhaps a folder got renamed, and all the songs under it were then "lost" from itunes' records. If you can remember the song titles, try Start>Search>type in a song>wait a really long time and see if it finds it. If it does, then quite possibly, you'll find the rest of them in the same folder.

tropical_fishy
11-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I wrestled with iTunes (instead of reading Cane and The Walls of Jericho for class tomorrow) and I won.

Mwahahahaha, bend over and take that, apple. And next time you try to delete my music, I will be READY FOR YOU.

It is on.

Hexis
11-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Sorry to threadjack a little bit, but I have a similar question, and rather than create a new thread about it...

All of my music is in AAC format. I know exactly where it is, I know exactly how it's organized on my hard drive. What I want is some way to convert it back into mp3 format. Is this possible?

Possible and easy. Set your import settings in iTunes to your MP3 format and bit rate settings of choice (I would match the AAC bitrate you imported things as). Then select your music and right click. You will see a "Convert Selection to MP3" option. Do that, it will take a while. Then you can list the music by type and delete all of the AAC files.

pennywise
11-28-2006, 03:25 AM
All of my music is in AAC format. I know exactly where it is, I know exactly how it's organized on my hard drive. What I want is some way to convert it back into mp3 format. Is this possible? I mean, My ipod is kinda dying, and actually, I lost it a couple nights ago anyways, dunno if I'll find it. And I don't really feel like paying $250 for a new ipod, so I was thinking I might find some other kind of mp3 player. Except... with all my songs in AAC format, I'm kinda locked into itunes and ipods. All my songs are unprotected, so don't worry about that, I was just wondering if anyone knew how to convert them?
Thanks.
The iPod is not the only player that will play AAC.
AAC is not Apple's proprietary format.

Just be sure that whatever new player you buy will play AAC files.

thecavemankevin
11-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I wrestled with iTunes (instead of reading Cane and The Walls of Jericho for class tomorrow) and I won.

Mwahahahaha, bend over and take that, apple. And next time you try to delete my music, I will be READY FOR YOU.

It is on.

so, what happened, where did you find them?

next time, just let itune auto scan your hard disk for music files to import into itunes. it should find them then.

tropical_fishy
11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
so, what happened, where did you find them?

next time, just let itune auto scan your hard disk for music files to import into itunes. it should find them then.

I don't know what happened to them, I just ran a search for one of the artists I knew were lost somewhere within my computer and found them, and then just re-imported everything to iTunes. When I have more time/am not dying/have slept/have eaten/do not have three papers and a test to do in a week, i'm probably going to switch over to winamp.