PDA

View Full Version : High end mechs // tinkering

flashgordon
11-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey AO'ers,
I'm the proud owner of a Lvl 10 x valve mag and it's working great for me, but i'm looking for something I can get my hands dirty with. I loved my 98 Custom because I could fiddle with it, polish the internals, modify the hammer and bolt, that kind of thing. The mag just doesn't have much to offer me in the way of tinkering (Short of assembling a brand new mag)..

Is the WGP Trilogy a good buy? Or am I better off buying a cheap cocker on EBay? or a cheap spyder to fool around with?

Has anyone had similar experiences? What would you recommend?

rkjunior303
11-27-2006, 04:58 PM
if you want to tinker, a good project is to take a Spyder and turn it into a timmy or a "spimmy"

indecisive
11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
you could turn it into a pneumatic mag, the workshop section has a bunch of threads for info on it.

don miguel
11-27-2006, 05:15 PM
make a spyder mag! or pnuematic!

SR_matt
11-27-2006, 06:36 PM
dont get a trilogy (they are ok for the non tinkerer but unless you want to go to the shiping out machinery and lots of metal fabrication not worth it) id go with a 2003 or older WGP cocker (after 2003 they kinda went down hill on specs and quality) 2000 was (i have been told) the best year for teh stock bodies being milled to spec.

cockers are a good thing to tinker with if you have a good understanding of how things work (sound to me that you do not have a problem with that though). it is a great experance and pretty cheap now.

feel free to pm me if you want more info on putting a cocker together or just have more questions on autocockers

-matt

temps
11-27-2006, 06:39 PM
I agree with Matt, find a 2000-2003 cocker.

flashgordon
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
dont get a trilogy (they are ok for the non tinkerer but unless you want to go to the shiping out machinery and lots of metal fabrication not worth it) id go with a 2003 or older WGP cocker (after 2003 they kinda went down hill on specs and quality) 2000 was (i have been told) the best year for teh stock bodies being milled to spec.

cockers are a good thing to tinker with if you have a good understanding of how things work (sound to me that you do not have a problem with that though). it is a great experance and pretty cheap now.

feel free to pm me if you want more info on putting a cocker together or just have more questions on autocockers

-matt

Thanks this was the kind of tip I was looking for. I've never fired a cocker before.. but part of the reason for this undertaking is to learn a gun from scratch and see what kind of things I can do with it.

What's fair pricing on a used 2000-2003 cocker?

SR_matt
11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
hmm havent priced them recently, very very cheap. you can probably get a stock cocker from that period for 100-150 ish (give or take). if you decide to do this feel free to ask me any questions and i will try my best to help you in any way i can.

-matt

flashgordon
11-27-2006, 07:12 PM
hmm havent priced them recently, very very cheap. you can probably get a stock cocker from that period for 100-150 ish (give or take). if you decide to do this feel free to ask me any questions and i will try my best to help you in any way i can.

-matt

Thanks. These plans won't come to fruition until after this blasted holiday season, it has a way of eating a hole through my wallet.

SR_matt
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
haha, i know the feeling, i got a decent amount of stuff (body[its an ans GXE body so its decent quality spec wise], blocks, trigger frame, some other little parts here and there) that i would let go for a pretty reasonable price once you get the wallet repaired (id suggest going with the 10gauge stainless this time it will take a little more of a kick to get through it... sorry i had to do it, dorky yes but meh)

-matt

mag_lover05
11-27-2006, 07:26 PM
nothing is better than "tinkering" with a tippmann... take one, put a dm4 board in the ebolt, and put eyes on it :headbang:

Lenny
11-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Actually, Trilogy's aren't bad. You can buy an LPR adapter, they take any ram, and if you place an Eclipse solenoid ring between the body and the LPR, you can run any 4-way.

I recently made mine a pump. Great investment right there. Simple, cheap, great! Just nothing to really tinker with.

Then, you could always EBlade/half block it, too. (Or figure out some way to make one pneumatic...)

Spymadators are also cool. Get one going with the older powerfeed bodies and have a great sleeper!

Then you could always make a Spydercocker, or make a Splatmaster semi using cocker pneumatics, or create a sweet-as-heck milsim Tippy, or EP/Pneu-ify your existing mag (or modify a Spyder frame), build a pneu-assisit Phantom or Sniper...

There are a ton of things you can do out there!

ultralight
11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
if you really want to play with an autococker, do it oldschool:

automate a pump.

i took a $50 PGP and made it a pneumatic semi with $35 in cocker pneumatics and a heck of a lot of time.
it was a fun , if sometimes nervewracking, project. and now i've got a wicked little piece of custom hardware to show off.

you could also do the trendy thing and halfblock a superbolt.

flashgordon
11-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Great ideas, but don't a lot of these require some heavy machinery.. atleast the pneu-assist and spyder cocker seem like they would ..

Atm i'm leaning towards the cocker or EP'ing my mag though it's quite heavy as is :p