PDA

View Full Version : JT Spectra ? is this a good mask ?

Soopa Villain17
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WRQ8jwhHTQg8xk0r7ln8JwKTEXsZnDybwrU=?Pro ductID=yv7AqArbIG4AAAEJKA5PJJNX#

for 34 bucks ? ive got kinda a big head , anybody got one if so tell me about it , thanks

Chronobreak
11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
well i bought one new in 96~ and it is still useable(replaced a few lenses)

the foam seems to eb very durable and held in well. great for rec/woodsball or a referee

alot of tourney players prefer the flex versions because of the added chance of a bounce and softears. but that is just preferance.

can'tthink of1
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
My spectre had a nasty habit of not staying on my head to be truthful. My double strapped profiler hasn't fallen off once.

spectre184
11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
I have had one about as long as chronobreak and just replaced it with another that I got from action village (I got all black one). Thru the years I replaced lenses but finally the strap gave out. I could only add so many safety pins to make strap tighter :tard: Well plus ear peice broke and wouldnt stay on. I don't wear glasses and never really had problem fogging with thermal lenses as long as I kept moving. If I stopped in one place to long (camping) then it might start to fog. But I had it for 10'ish years and obviusly liked it well enough to buy another.

Though it's a Christmas present and I'm not allowed to open it I did notice it has chin strap so hopefully it won't fall like what happens to can'tthink of1 .

I played couple weeks ago and borrowed another JT mask (don't remember name) and it had a chin strap and I never saw this before and I thought WTF is that :eek:

Soopa Villain17
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
so its a pretty good deal for 35 bucks then. i play woodsball once n a while so it may be used a handfull of times a year so it will probly be fine, just as long as it doesnt fog like my scott mask. how is the size ? ive got a fairly good size head.

Chronobreak
11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
yeah all the newer ones should ahve chinstraps so if yuor worried about it flying off then no more worries.

the straps are adjustable. you can also customize them nicely with flex/spectre aprts softears,fans,

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A THERMAL LENSE and your set, dont get an "anti-fog" lense

d4m4don3
11-28-2006, 07:30 PM
so its a pretty good deal for 35 bucks then. i play woodsball once n a while so it may be used a handfull of times a year so it will probly be fine, just as long as it doesnt fog like my scott mask. how is the size ? ive got a fairly good size head.

I've had my spectra for a few years and all I've done with it is change the lense. Granted I have a big head so it stays pretty tight on me.

Soopa Villain17
11-28-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah all the newer ones should ahve chinstraps so if yuor worried about it flying off then no more worries.

the straps are adjustable. you can also customize them nicely with flex/spectre aprts softears,fans,

JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A THERMAL LENSE and your set, dont get an "anti-fog" lense

click the link i belive it says thermal, doubple pane o thick or w/e

don miguel
11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
waste of money, just buy a profiler (vforce/draxxus), then you will never go back. ;)

grEnAlEins
11-28-2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WRQ8jwhHTQg8xk0r7ln8JwKTEXsZnDybwrU=?Pro ductID=yv7AqArbIG4AAAEJKA5PJJNX#

for 34 bucks ? ive got kinda a big head , anybody got one if so tell me about it , thanks
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WRQ8jwhHTQg8xk0r7ln8JwKTEXsZnDybwrU=?Pro ductID=9XisFAY7n4gAAAD3dEalA_2t
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WRQ8jwhHTQg8xk0r7ln8JwKTEXsZnDybwrU=?Pro ductID=9XisFAY7n4gAAAD3dEalA_2t
are both nice masks IMHO. Cheaper too. I own the second one and like it well enough. I also have a flex that I like a lil better.

rkjunior303
11-28-2006, 08:51 PM
same mask most fields use as rentals.

it's not a 260 degree lens.

Jaan
11-28-2006, 08:57 PM
waste of money, just buy a profiler (vforce/draxxus), then you will never go back. ;)That's the proof right there Chris, definitely get the JT mask.

Aggravated Assault
11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Though it's a Christmas present and I'm not allowed to open it I did notice it has chin strap so hopefully it won't fall like what happens to can'tthink of1 .

Man, the first thing I did was cut the chinstrap off w/ my razor knife. :)

ultralight
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
same mask most fields use as rentals.

it's not a 260 degree lens.

if it's a spectra it has the same lens as the proflex.

you may be thinking of the "elite" which does not have the 260* lens.

don miguel
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
That's the proof right there Chris, definitely get the JT mask.
wow your totally cool, you think that POS jt maskk is better than a profiler... that's like me saying
this
http://www.justpaintball.co.uk/acatalog/karnivor.JPG
is better than this:
http://store.paintballwarehouse.com/images/product/779.jpg
because jt spectra's never fog up and eradicators are better than karnivors.

Carbon Blue
11-28-2006, 09:20 PM
JT spectras(260 antifog lense)are the only mask i will ever use! Ive never had any problems with them. Ive had 3 of em over the past 7-8 years of paintball and all performed great. 2 of em were bought brand new and the third one i use as a loaner. Never fogged up and offers better neck protection then some of the other masks out there. The newest one I have has that chin strap and that does help somewhat with the problems of the mask sliding off your face.

RoLLonBombs
11-28-2006, 10:28 PM
don miguel stop posting pictures for no reason, the Spectra is a great mask i agree with someone who posted b4 id go witha flex series but its preference it`ll get you bounces buti`ll also get yuo shot in the mouth time to time depends if you rather have a broken ball outside the mask and paint in your face or a fat lip and a few more minutes to tag the bastard who gave it to ya but either way the spectra is a good mask so are the elite nvader and nforcer

have fun w/ it

pennywise
11-29-2006, 01:19 AM
I've had my Spectra for almost 10 years now. All I've replaced on it are the ear pieces. I do have a Flex 8 as well, but I actually like my Spectra better.

PumpMag
11-29-2006, 02:13 AM
As mentioned earlier, get Thermal lens! Nothing is worse than fogging and not being able to see in a firefight.

As for choice of mask/goggle system. I've owned and exclusively used the orgininal Vents Predator (the original soft armor Not the NEW versions that are out), until too many fields telling me they are no longer allowed. I do wear eyeglasses, so that was the biggest factor before choosing a new system.

Do what I did. Go to your local paintball store in person and ask to try out some goggles. This was the best way to compare fit, comfort, and check what you can see with better.

JT Flex 7 was the winner for me. Soft ears were like my original Vents. Wide peripheral vision like my original Vents. Great for eyeglasses like my original Vents.

End result. The perfect goggle system that I could find for tournament use, pump or semi. :hail:

The New version of VENTS were not yet released at the time, so I could not compare it. I would like to try, potentially buy, if the price eventually goes down someday.

Funny thing, my teammates followed suit and also bought JT Flex 7s and 8s. If I can only get them to buy Automags! :D

Recently, I finally changed lenses (The JT's seem more scratch resistant than my old Vents) and put together another JT spectra, for practice and rec games. But the hard ear pieces are less comfortable.

To summarize, don't go for low pricing or what is cheap - Buy what feels, fits, and helps you see the best for you. Safety first........

Triangle
11-29-2006, 03:28 AM
wow your totally cool, you think that POS jt maskk is better than a profiler... that's like me saying
this
http://www.justpaintball.co.uk/acatalog/karnivor.JPG
is better than this:
http://store.paintballwarehouse.com/images/product/779.jpg
because jt spectra's never fog up and eradicators are better than karnivors.

Seriously.
What the hell is wrong with you?

You're going to tell me the Spectra is a POS?

I don't even know what to say to you.
I'm not even mad.

Pacifist_Farmer
11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Semantically Don shot him self in the foot.

By his logic and wording the "POS" Spectra is the better mask. And I agree, I threw away a spectra about a month ago that I have had for 7 years. They are a great mask for the money. While I feel the Proflex is a better mask, for that price you can only win.

(I still miss my Z-Leader)

shartley
11-29-2006, 07:53 AM
Masks are a subjective issue. What is “best” for one is not “best” for all. I use that exact same mask but in black (OD would be nice though) and LOVE it. I have tried on quite a few other masks over the years and simply put they didn’t feel as nice on my head as the JT Spectra does. It gives me room for my glasses and beard without feeling like the mask is smashed up onto my face. And like others, the only thing I have had to do over the years was replace the lens. I also got a vortex fan for mine and it eliminates any chance of fogging. My son has the same setup but with a less expensive version of the mask and he too has no issues with fogging.

For the price there, it is a fantastic buy. And anyone who thinks/says the JT Spectra is a POS mask simply does not know what they are talking about. They are a very durable and reliable mask that have a proven track record. Again, most of it comes down to the fit, styling, and personal preference. But the mask itself is a fantastic buy. Heck, if I had the extra cash around I would pick up another one in OD this very minute.

Keep in mind though that no single mask is perfect for everyone, no matter how pretty it looks or expensive it is. If you can, try them on and see how they feel and work for you.

Soopa Villain17
11-29-2006, 07:53 AM
thanks for the help. id go try em out but the closest pb store is about and hour n a half from me and i dont have enough gas ( no cash till payday ) to make it just to look at masks and that store is way overpriced. thanks again

wanna-b-ballin'
11-29-2006, 12:14 PM
i have a spectra proshield. i'v had it for a good 4 years now since it was my first mask. just a year ago i replaced it with a profiler. its still in awsome shape and easily has alot of life left in it.

chill will
11-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Go with the spectra if your a woods baller. It blends well with nature in spring and summer and does alright in the winter. That is what i use. It has my stamp of approval.

The other mask is good to. Just depends on what you want.

robnix
11-29-2006, 12:58 PM
thanks for the help. id go try em out but the closest pb store is about and hour n a half from me and i dont have enough gas ( no cash till payday ) to make it just to look at masks and that store is way overpriced. thanks again

I picked up a Vforce Morph mask and like it very much. No fog issues and the lens is amazingly easy to take out. You should be able to get one online for around the same price.

Jaan
11-29-2006, 08:12 PM
wow your totally cool, you think that POS jt maskk is better than a profiler...He was asking if the JT mask is a good deal for $35. Yes, it is. It certainly is not a POS. Far from it. It a very good mask with a very good lens with a proven track record. For that price it's probably the best bang for the buck. It's the proverbial small block Chevy of masks. At the same place the Profiler is going for a tick under $70 on sale. Is it twice as good? Will it fog up half as much? Will it protect your face twice as well? Will it last twice as long?

Why do you even post when you really don't know what you're talking about? People come here for advice and telling them that the JT mask is a quote "waste of money" is WRONG, plain and simple.

jenarelJAM
11-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Why do you even post when you really don't know what you're talking about?
QFT
/paging SCPoloRicker... :D

2BAD4U
12-08-2006, 03:55 AM
JT rocks regardless !!!!!! :)

Swampy
12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I got on in black from my brother. I had replace the lense in it cause the inner pane cracked. But other than that Its not that bad.

I put those studded spikes in it thing looks sweet.

Triangle
12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Why do you even post when you really don't know what you're talking about? People come here for advice and telling them that the JT mask is a quote "waste of money" is WRONG, plain and simple.

Because he see's that he can post Bs, and get away with it.
It doesn't help that my negativity towards him only encourages him.

Anything that covers your face and eyes, and is within ATSM standards, i.e, ANY mask on the market readily available for purcahse is worth the month.

From the Brass eagle starter pack masks to Vforce Profilers and Empire goggles. If it covers your face and eyes, it's worth the money-- plain and simple.

Your most important peice of gear, is, and has always been a mask.

PumpMag
12-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Anything that covers your face and eyes, and is within ATSM standards, i.e, ANY mask on the market readily available for purcahse is worth the month.

From the Brass eagle starter pack masks to Vforce Profilers and Empire goggles. If it covers your face and eyes, it's worth the money-- plain and simple.

Your most important peice of gear, is, and has always been a mask.

Agreed.

Note that JT's have been around paintball way back in the early days of paintball as long as Worr Games, Tippmann, and .................. Airgun Designs.

You can't go wrong with JT's...... they make motorcross goggles! (long before they got into paintball)

Soopa Villain17
12-09-2006, 06:05 PM
got it yesterday, played with it today and i have to say its well worth the 40 dollars. it never fogged up but it sucked cuz i got some snow in the lens and had a hard time drying it up. awsome mask !!! :dance: