PDA

View Full Version : Militry Style Online Game

StygShore
11-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Well... once again it's Christmas time, and I have no clue as to what to get my dad again.

He has been playing some military style single player games - Medal of Honor I think, and a few others.

Can anyone suggest a military online game:

Needs to have single player capability - missions and such

NOT pure PVP - Americas Army, and things like that he just couldn't hang with those gamers

Needs to be pretty simple to control

I am thinking of getting him the game and like a 3-6 month pre-paid subscription as a gift becasue he is offically retiring from GM in about 10 days, and will need somethign to play that takes a little longer than the single player PC games that once you beat they get boring to play.

Styg

Steelrat
11-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Company of Heroes. It's a well-reviewed WW2 real-time strategy game.

There's always WWII online also.

geekwarrior
11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Call of Duty/United offensive was awsome, especially if he liked MOH...and I still play it online. Call of Duty 2 has been out for awhile, havent gotten into it. Controls are pretty much the same as MOH. There's also quite a few medal of honor "sequels" not sure which he already has

Flashpoint is an awsome older military game that takes forever to beat (100+hrs). It's a hard game though, many people didnt like it because of that.

Other cool military games:

Battlefield 2 or the newer one (no missions though)
Far Cry (awsome single player, takes a long time to beat, ok multiplayer)
Brothers in Arms
Commanche(old but cool heli game)

StygShore
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
spent many hours playing commanche - very cool game

MOH is an online game now? he has litk a single player version, maybe it wasnt medal of honor?

what is farcry like? I remember hearing a little about it and what type of system does it take to run it?

Styg

geekwarrior
11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
spent many hours playing commanche - very cool game

MOH is an online game now? he has litk a single player version, maybe it wasnt medal of honor?

what is farcry like? I remember hearing a little about it and what type of system does it take to run it?

Styg

Medal of Honor is both mission and online. I havent played MOH since the Spearhead upgrade, which was a few years ago. I used to love that game though.

Farcry is is FPS that follows a guy on an island that some mad scientist used to create some super human race. Cool graphics, pretty good AI. Controls are similar to MOH, most FPS' have the same basic controls. (WASD) Don't think you need too good of a system to run it, although like all games, its fun to be able to run them at the highest settings. Google it and the game site should give you the required specs. I saw it at Best Buy on sale last week for $10. :p

Hexis
11-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Company of Heroes. It's a well-reviewed WW2 real-time strategy game.

There's always WWII online also.

I'll second that recommendation. Great game. RTS so a lil different than normal FPS style games. Very very good.

StygShore
11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
hows Company of Heroes play out? is it like Starcraft style?

Styg

Glickman
11-30-2006, 06:12 PM
call of duty 3

nuff said :D

Steelrat
11-30-2006, 06:13 PM
hows Company of Heroes play out? is it like Starcraft style?

Styg

Somewhat. The company that made it did the Warhammer 40K RTS games, which are great. The game models such things as moral, so it's more realistic than Starcraft. But yes, it's similar in that they are both real-time strategy games.

StygShore
11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
call of duty 3

nuff said :D

PC games only, I guess I shoudl have specified

Styg

Arstron
11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Well I have started playing BF2 again. I just cant stay away from that game for more then a couple months.

Probably not what he is looking for, but all of the Mechwarrior games have given me lots of fun hours of play, both with single and multi player. :cheers:

Hexis
11-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Bf2 is good too. I just installed it on my new machine. It's like a new game on real hardware.

Altimas
11-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Call of Duty 2 Is great Especially for Single Player.