PDA

View Full Version : Need some Automag advise...

striker
12-30-2001, 05:05 PM
I currently own a Tippmann Pro/Carbine which I have upgraded to the max. In another couple of years, I hope to upgrade to the next step. For me, that would be either an electro, autococker, or automag. Currently, I'm leaning toward an automag. That said, I'm looking for some advise about which mag to buy.

Right now, I'm looking at the RT Pro, or a Minimag. The E-mag is out of my book becuase of the cost. :(

That leads me to my very first question of the many undoubtedly to follow on this forum: What differences are there between the RT Pro and the Minimag besides the RT valve and that nifty front grip? My original plan was to buy a Minimag and the RT valve, amongst other upgrades, until I realized that the price of a Miniman with the RT valve is equivalant to the price of an RT Pro. Also, I heard that the RT Pro was much more difficult to fix and maintain. At the time I heard that, I knew vertually squat about automags, but now, I'm questioning that statement. Is the RT Pro any more difficult to maintain and fix than, say, the Minimag?

I'd also like to run by you guru's some of the upgrade I plan to purchase (hopefullly!) after I get used to my new RT Pro.

* Barrel. I currently own 5 barrels for my carbine, so I won't need any advise upon which to buy.

* Intelliframe. Basically, I would like a nice, smooth, and short double trigger -- possibly a blade style trigger. I am also intrigued by the option to Intellifeed my 12V revvy.

* Superbolt.

* Drop forward for the Flatline I will hopfully be buying with the RT Pro.

Is there anything I should know about any of these upgrades before purchasing them? Are there any other upgrades that I should look into?

I deeply appreciate any advise! Thanks for your time! :)

Miscue
12-30-2001, 05:11 PM
The Automag family of guns are all mechanically similar. If you switched an RT Pro's Retro Valve for a stock Air Valve, it would work just like a Minimag. The valve is the major difference between the guns, the rest is minor or cosmetic. RT Pros come with Intelliframes now and that's really nice to have.

If you have the cash, an RT Pro is an awesome mechanical gun. Minimag's are fine too, I was considering one myself actually... now that the price has come down.

striker
12-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Oops! Forgot an upgrade I would like also:

* The Pro Team Products Power Tube Spacer Kit. Basically, Ravi Chopra (sp?) said that this nifty little kit will recude trigger pull. A feature I would love to have! :)

Thanks!!

MrAirgunRT
12-30-2001, 05:12 PM
all that stuff you plan on getting on the RT Pro, plus the nitro tank you need for it, will ocst way over what an E-Mag would cost ya..

Miscue
12-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by striker
Oops! Forgot an upgrade I would like also:

* The Pro Team Products Power Tube Spacer Kit. Basically, Ravi Chopra (sp?) said that this nifty little kit will recude trigger pull. A feature I would love to have! :)

Thanks!!

Don't listen to Ravi, he's wrong about many many things. ;)

striker
12-30-2001, 05:22 PM
Yeah, but then I'd have to upgrade the E-mag (with Nitro, a barrel or two, etc...)

Thanks anyway! :)

striker
12-30-2001, 05:23 PM
In other words, don't buy the kit, it doesn't work? Thanks for the heads-up! :)

irbodden
12-30-2001, 05:37 PM
The powertube spacer kit ISNT for lighter trigger. If you want a short pull buy an intelliframe. RTs now come with Intelliframes BTW. If you have enough cash, get the RT and skip the Minimag, if not the Mini is still a really sweet gun, just not as fast. Good luck!

:D

Army
12-30-2001, 05:56 PM
Ravi is wrong about how to work/customize 'Mags, not on getting a PT spacer kit. The kit is always a good thing to have in the toolbox, along with an O-ring kit, a couple of 1/8" hex wrenches, Gold Cup oil, clean rag/towel, etc...

striker
12-30-2001, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone!

How about weight? What would you estimate the weight to be with a full hopper, the flatline nitrogen system, and all those other goodies? Thanks again! :)

Bonx0007
12-30-2001, 06:28 PM
Well if you shot using a fully tricked out carbine. Those are pretty heavy guns. I know I used to own a pretty hooked up prolite myself. The RTpro should be not a problem for you. he weight will probably be equal except that the weight in a mag is in a smaller area. Its a smaller gun that weighs the same. Of course I did not brake out the scales for that assesment. Anyway, after you shoot the thing you won't care how much it weighs.

P.S. REMEMBER NEVER USE CO2 WITH THE RT PRO.

nutz
12-30-2001, 07:55 PM
oh and the superbolts have been recalled so i wouldnt recomend gettin one right now... other wise another good tool to have is a robogrip, comes in handy alot also some teflon tape for quick leak fixes

striker
12-30-2001, 10:31 PM
Thanks all! Any more info I should know? Does anyone have the exact measurements for weight? Thanks again! :)

toymyster
12-30-2001, 10:36 PM
I would go with the RT Pro, You do not need to upgrade it at all, and it comes with the Intelli, so you will have the nice, short trigger pull with the double trigger!!! All you need besides that, is a decent air system and whatever barrel you choose!!!

striker
12-31-2001, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the help!!! :)

Shaft
12-31-2001, 12:14 PM
Last I looked National PB (paintballinc.com) had RT Pros in the clearance section for $450!

Gotta sift through the clearance section, the catalog section shows it at full price.