PDA

View Full Version : small bore paint.

nathanjones008
12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
i have a jjcermaic barrel for my classic automag. I have been using diablo midnight paint and formula 13 paintballs( expensive paint). i have been shooting these two types of paint and one out of one hundred bust in the barrel , not the level 10s fault. i have been very fursturated. are these types of paint for small bore barrels? if so i need to try something else. but today i got so mad i drove to walmart and bought some rps big balls and they worked great. so i am guessing that these are medium to large bore. so to sum everything up , the two main questions are what tsize bore i sthe jj cermanic barrel and what types or paint is good for this barrel, finally can using small bore balls on a large bore barrel cause a huge increase for barrel bust?

thank you

ps i hope this is not confusing.

superfreakmabsta
12-01-2006, 06:32 PM
well with my mag i will not using anything but marbs and nightmare. i use an all american on my mag and have no barrel breaks. not often enough to mention. my suggestion is to get a new barrel. you need an option that will work with most paints. as for working with the J and J how about trying stinger? and yes if the ball is very small in a large bore barrel u will get poor performance.

don miguel
12-01-2006, 06:50 PM
i have a jjcermaic barrel for my classic automag. I have been using diablo midnight paint and formula 13 paintballs( expensive paint). i have been shooting these two types of paint and one out of one hundred bust in the barrel , not the level 10s fault. i have been very fursturated. are these types of paint for small bore barrels? if so i need to try something else. but today i got so mad i drove to walmart and bought some rps big balls and they worked great. so i am guessing that these are medium to large bore. so to sum everything up , the two main questions are what tsize bore i sthe jj cermanic barrel and what types or paint is good for this barrel, finally can using small bore balls on a large bore barrel cause a huge increase for barrel bust?

thank you

autococker threaded mag body
+
barell kit
=
eternal heaven in the paintball purchasing world.

i have a PTP micromag body plus a PIPE kit. so go for something like that. you will never have to go out and look for paint that fits your barell, you will always have a paint to barell match.

lasrsktr
12-01-2006, 07:51 PM
autococker threaded mag body
+
barell kit
=
eternal heaven in the paintball purchasing world.

i have a PTP micromag body plus a PIPE kit. so go for something like that. you will never have to go out and look for paint that fits your barell, you will always have a paint to barell match.

can you stop these posts don....

They make great barrel kits for the twist lock bodies as well...

I personally love the look of the Powerfeed bodies(just hate the weight)... You can find twist lock freak backs which will allow you to get that paint to bore match you are looking for...

91Foxtrot
12-01-2006, 08:11 PM
It could be the paint. I have only used Formula 13 three times, but 2 of those times were bad experiences.

I used a J&J with my Piranha and usually shot PMI Premium with good results.

SR_matt
12-01-2006, 09:06 PM

I personally love the look of the Powerfeed bodies(just hate the weight)... You can find twist lock freak backs which will allow you to get that paint to bore match you are looking for...
despite the way don came across that was helpful, stop ragging on him (not just pointed at you but everyone) hes learning and streighting out his understandings but everyone is still ragging on him its getting really anoying

if the ball is to small and its a brittle paint (which IIRC formula 13 is pretty brittle) it can bounce some in the barrel and break, the kit would help get the ball going streight before it hits the larger bore

the paints your shooting at smaller (686 or a little smaller i think last time i shot midnight) and the J&J is about 689 (havent used my j&j for a while since it was on my old spyder).

try to borrow a smaller bore barrel and see if the paint is still giving you trouble,

o ya are the balls breaking right at the breach or down the barrel?
-matt

Drego
12-01-2006, 09:14 PM

thank you

I was asking this same type of question in the Tac One thread I created in Paintball Talk forum. Hopefully, http://www.draxxus.com/TradeSecrets/BarrelFit_e.asp will help answer your questions. Additional paint and barrel bore size info can be found at http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html. I will be shooting my new Tac One (J&J barrel) tomorrow with Diablo Heat paint and will let you know the results.

nathanjones008
12-02-2006, 12:16 AM
yes the balls are breaking at the breech of the barrel. another question what are some good mathces to the jj cermanic barrels?

all comments are welcome..

thanks.

athomas
12-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Some paint is just more brittle at the seams than others. I use an oversize (0.696) barrel for all my shooting. I never have problems with barrel breaks and it always shoots straight. I stated using the larger barrel when I was having trouble with a bad batch of Xball. Even when properly sized, I kept breaking balls in the barrel. I started using my biggest barrel and never had a problem again. My accuracy hasn't suffered either. The air efficiency goes down a bit though.

SR_matt
12-02-2006, 08:28 PM
hmm i would also look at how brittle the paint is and the spring set up you have going on (harder the spring supposedly the softer it will be on paint). my mag cannot shoot brittle paint becasue it blows up on the bolt but i am using the softest spring so its kinda rough on the paint.

best bet is if you want to continue with those paints would be to check the springs and check if other barrel sizes help/hurt it. if you dont care about which brand as much you might want to check out other brands and see if they give you better results.

-matt

don miguel
12-03-2006, 07:42 AM

i guess your right it's all about preference, but it's not as easy to find barell kits in TL, but when you do thier often less money.

Drego
12-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Had a fun day at the field with my new mag and learned a few things. The J&J barrel that comes with it does shoot smaller bore size paint but not as efficiently as I would have suspected. I shot both Diable Heat and some Brass Eagle paint bought at Sports Authority. I didn't get any ball breaks shooting the Diablo and only had one shooting the Brass Eagle. I did notice that the flight pattern seemed to be inconsistent using the smaller bore paint and I think I also sacrificed air efficency in the process. A ref at the field recommended Draxxus Blaze paint (.687-.690) which isn't locally available for me to purchase. 91Foxtrot stated he got good performance from PMI Premium (.689-.691) which is the perfect size for the J&J bore (.688-.691). I think I'm leaning more towards a smaller bore barrel to handle the medium size paints available to me. Any barrel recommendations out there for shooting Diablo paint?

__Phoenix__
12-04-2006, 04:55 PM

thank you

Formula 13 is a paint my field uses along with budget Empire Bullets ($35/case) and premium Empire ($55/case). With a freak barrel, the formula 13 is a consistent .684 insert giver or take one inert up/down. Call smartparts... they make special order twistlock freak backs.

Formula 13 is not expensive paint. It's like $45 for a case.

Spider-TW
12-04-2006, 11:09 PM
There are a few of these around the internet...

Paint/Bore Sizes (http://www.warpig.com/linkout.cgi?http://www.thempn.com/articles/bore.html)

Some paint still swells in humid weather or gets fragile in cool weather. In either case you would want a barrel a little bigger than the same paint in good weather.