PDA

View Full Version : installing anti-siphon

wjr
12-02-2006, 05:28 PM
I just got two anit siphon tubes in the mail from a guy on MCB.

This afternoon I tried installing them on my tank. I heated up the valve and took it off. Now that I'm looking at the valve, I'm confused. I read the docsmachine page on anti-siphon tubes, and it doesn't adress my problem.

Here's what it says on installing them:

Actual installation of either tube is as simple as removing the threaded plug that holds the pin spring in place, and replacing that with the threaded portion of the tube to be added.

My valve has no such threaded peice as far as I can tell. How am I supposed to install it? Solder the copper tube straight on?

It came from a Brass Eagle tank that I got from the wal-mart/blue rhino trade in if that helps.

don miguel
12-02-2006, 05:37 PM
hey to save yourself, i would have a certified airsmith do it so you do not get sieriously injured! unless you are an airsmith, if so go ahead. just wanted to warn ya.

flyingpootang
12-02-2006, 07:46 PM
There are a few different type of vales so yours may not be the type discribed at Doc's Machine. You can get everything you need to make a J tube from Home Depot's plumbing dept. As for safety make shure the tank is empty and you don't apply to much heat to break the lock tight. Instead ofgoing though all the trouble you may be better off getting a compressed air system off of Ebay for 35-50 new.

MANN
12-02-2006, 08:10 PM
hey to save yourself, i would have a certified airsmith do it so you do not get sieriously injured! unless you are an airsmith, if so go ahead. just wanted to warn ya.

c02 is not that dangerous

wjr
12-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Why yes, as a matter of fact I am an airsmith. :ninja:

There are a few different type of vales so yours may not be the type discribed at Doc's Machine. You can get everything you need to make a J tube from Home Depot's plumbing dept. As for safety make shure the tank is empty and you don't apply to much heat to break the lock tight. Instead ofgoing though all the trouble you may be better off getting a compressed air system off of Ebay for 35-50 new.

I've already got a compressed air tank. I like co2 more (more places to get fills, smaller tank, lighter).

don miguel
12-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Why yes, as a matter of fact I am an airsmith. :ninja:

I've already got a compressed air tank. I like co2 more (more places to get fills, smaller tank, lighter).
good, i just waned to make sure. and i do think co2 is pretty dangerous, because i have seen an out of date tank come loose by what looked like a millimeter. and it froze the little girls tippman (10 yrs) wich was in bad shape to begin with. this happened at fox4 in october. it looked dangerous, but the refs, especially chris (head ref there) took care of it. it looked dangerous to me, but since your an airsmith, go ahead and do it. :cheers:

ZapTheMad
12-03-2006, 08:06 AM
There should be a threaded pipe plug in the back of the pin valve. It has a hex socket in it with a hole drilled thru the plug. You should be able to stick an allen wrench in it and unscrew.

If not, perhaps they are pressing them in nowadays. Get a new pin valve with the threads.

wjr
12-03-2006, 10:39 AM
It's just a circular hole. No hex socket.

You can always trust Brass Eagle to do something like that.

Dewok82
12-03-2006, 04:28 PM
It is a Brass Eagle tank? I know some of the Pure Energy pin valves lack the proper fitting for A/S tubes, but I didn't know Brass Eagle pin valves did too.

You may want to consider taking your tank to Wal Mart and doing the tank exchange. That way you get a fresh hydro and hopefully the right style pin valve.

wjr
12-03-2006, 04:49 PM
It is a Brass Eagle tank? I know some of the Pure Energy pin valves lack the proper fitting for A/S tubes, but I didn't know Brass Eagle pin valves did too.

You may want to consider taking your tank to Wal Mart and doing the tank exchange. That way you get a fresh hydro and hopefully the right style pin valve.

I'd gotten two tanks from wal-mart using the trade in program. One was a brass eagle cylinder, and the other was a no name (I'm pretty sure it came from a 98 custom package).

I found that not only the Brass Eagle, but also the other tank have identical valves.

Mabye Blue Rhino replaces the valves on the tanks when the fill them.

don miguel
12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I'd gotten two tanks from wal-mart using the trade in program. One was a brass eagle cylinder, and the other was a no name (I'm pretty sure it came from a 98 custom package).

I found that not only the Brass Eagle, but also the other tank have identical valves.

Mabye Blue Rhino replaces the valves on the tanks when the fill them.
your 14 and an airsmith?

wjr
12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes. :ninja:

MANN
12-03-2006, 11:32 PM
and i do think co2 is pretty dangerous, because i have seen an out of date tank come loose by what looked like a millimeter. and it froze the little girls tippman (10 yrs) wich was in bad shape to begin with. it looked dangerous, but the refs, especially chris (head ref there) took care of it. it looked dangerous to me, but since your an airsmith, go ahead and do it. :cheers:

How is that dangerous? CO2 is not nearly as violent as Nitro. CO2 is not flamable, and a very low pressure. The only problem that CO2 could cause is actually bursting or having the valve come out. Both are HIGHLY unlikely. sorta like being struck by lightning

2BAD4U
12-05-2006, 12:50 AM
If you prefer Co2 cause it's easy 2-get than compressed air , get a 6stage expansion chamber . 4-get anti-siphon . ;)

turbo chicken
12-08-2006, 03:36 PM
what is this walmart tank exchange thing you guys
are talking about???

wjr
12-08-2006, 03:48 PM
what is this walmart tank exchange thing you guys
are talking about???

You take your empty tank to wal-mart, and pay them $4 and they give you a filled up tank.

Wal-Mart sends them to Blue Rhino who fills them.

turbo chicken
12-08-2006, 03:54 PM
You take your empty tank to wal-mart, and pay them $4 and they give you a filled up tank.

Wal-Mart sends them to Blue Rhino who fills them.

so I can basically exchange my leaky valved 9oz ror a tanks that holds air for $4.00 cool :bounce:

wjr
12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
so I can basically exchange my leaky valved 9oz ror a tanks that holds air for $4.00 cool :bounce:

Yep.

I exchanged two tanks with dented pin valves, rust as well as being out of hydro for brand new ones.

Jaan
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
How is that dangerous? CO2 is not nearly as violent as Nitro. CO2 is not flamable, and a very low pressure. The only problem that CO2 could cause is actually bursting or having the valve come out. Both are HIGHLY unlikely. sorta like being struck by lightningI think you need to clarify what you're talking about, especially when replying to a thread that involves removing and replacing a valve on a CO2 tank.

First off, CO2 inside a tank under pressure can be VERY dangerous. One of the biggest reasons it's dangerous under these circumstances is that when the valve comes off, the CO2 in the tank is liquid and takes time to go from a liquid to a gas, so it acts like a rocket. Let's say that it takes 5 seconds for all the liquid (or ice) to turn into a gas, that's 5 seconds of constant thrust propelling the tank.

Second, we have someone who's obviously inexperienced taking a valve off and replacing it. That's dangerous right there. Last year a woman was killed during a birthday party. It was because someone inexperienced had installed an anti-syphon tube into a CO2 tank. When the tank was unscrewed from the gun the valve stayed in place, and unscrewed from the tank instead. Usually there's a bleed hole drilled into the side of the valve where the threads are, but it was plugged up with Loctite. In that case the valve came off, the tank flew across the yard like a rocket, and hit the woman in the back of the head, killing her instantly. It may be highly unlikely, but it does happen. Giving bad advice to inexperienced people (basically saying "don't worry about it") increases the chances of an accident dramatically.

Third, what do you mean by "not nearly as violent as Nitro"? Are you talking about Nitroglycerin? Nitromethane? Nitrous Oxide? HPA tanks are filled with either Nitrogen or compressed air. Nitrogen is what the atmosphere is mostly made up of...78.08% of the air we breath is Nitrogen. My lungs haven't exploded yet.

Forth, yes, CO2 is not flammable, but neither is "Nitro". That doesn't make it safe under pressure.

Fifth, it's not unusual for a full tank of CO2 to reach 1200 psi or more. I don't know what you consider "very low pressure", but in my humble opinion, 1200 psi is certainly not "very low pressure". The burst disks are rated at 3000 psi and I've seen a lot of them burst on a nice sunny day.