PDA

View Full Version : ACK! New Gun Suggestion

DSMowner1988
12-05-2006, 10:50 PM
First off id like to say hello im new to these forums :bounce: and i hope we can all be friends :cheers:

anyways i think its time for a new gun...iv played mostly woodsball through my experience and thus own 2 tippmanns (no surprise lol) which are nice for the woods but they cant keep up in the speed field.

i thought about an Ion for awhile as they're $200 and good guns all in all. i planned on getting some (not too much) blackcell mods from specops for my woods and scenario playing and then hack the stuff off for speedball. Then i was like.....Tac-Ones are also very nice...id do the same to the Tac-One when it came to mods and playing...Only thing is i dont know how fast a Tac-One can shoot out of the Box. i know lots of ppl say how fast they are when they have proper mods but i duno what id have to do or how much it would cost.....if theres lots i have to learn about Mags dont worry, i LOVE learning new stuff (especially when it comes to taking stuff apart and learning how stuff works) in paintball and about diff guns and kinds of guns. My eyes are on the Mag but i do want to know how to get it to shoot 15+bps :shooting: thanks alot

I would like some info on the Tac-One plz :rolleyes:

MoeMag
12-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Well...

Welcome to AO.

Generally we talk about automags here, when we are not busy insulting eachother.

GET AN AUTOMAG!!! :rofl:

-well right honest most mags are not going to have any higher ROF than a tippmann, with the exception of a e/x/pnu/hyper/spyder-mag or similar. One thing is for sure... you will have others respect toteing a mag onto a field.

-Ions are solid little guns. Most people here HATE smart parts with a passion. you will forever be branded as a "nub" and they have no resale value even after fully upgrading every part on it.

:cheers:

Tao
12-05-2006, 11:48 PM
First off id like to say hello im new to these forums :bounce: and i hope we can all be friends :cheers:

anyways i think its time for a new gun...iv played mostly woodsball through my experience and thus own 2 tippmanns (no surprise lol) which are nice for the woods but they cant keep up in the speed field.

i thought about an Ion for awhile as they're $200 and good guns all in all. i planned on getting some (not too much) blackcell mods from specops for my woods and scenario playing and then hack the stuff off for speedball. Then i was like.....Tac-Ones are also very nice...id do the same to the Tac-One when it came to mods and playing...Only thing is i dont know how fast a Tac-One can shoot out of the Box. i know lots of ppl say how fast they are when they have proper mods but i duno what id have to do or how much it would cost.....if theres lots i have to learn about Mags dont worry, i LOVE learning new stuff (especially when it comes to taking stuff apart and learning how stuff works) in paintball and about diff guns and kinds of guns. My eyes are on the Mag but i do want to know how to get it to shoot 15+bps :shooting: thanks alot

I would like some info on the Tac-One plz :rolleyes:

Well a tac one should shoot a little faster than a tippman. It can sustain a very high rate of fire (so no worries with shot down), and with the reactive trigger it will help. I know tippman guns have a reactive trigger also though it seems from my experience the mag is a little easier to shoot faster.

Basically your choice comes down to:
Ion cheap, high rate of fire

Tac one great marker, more expensive than an Ion, not as high rate of fire (mech)

E tac 5X the price of an ion, great gun, potentially higher rate of fire than the ion

If you were planning on buying a new ion I would recomend buying a used higher end marker. Perhaps you could get a used e tac for $400 or so.

jenarelJAM
12-06-2006, 12:20 AM
I think a used ion is probably the best budget marker atm. If we're talking used prices, it's as cheap as many spyders, and will *almost certainly* shoot faster than a tac-one.

However!

It really is personal preference. If you're into the woodsball/scenario style, the ion really isn't going to do it for you. Although not everyone, a majority of people on these forums are going to be biased towards mags. I mean, it <i>is</i> automags.org. I would prefer a mech mag over an ion personally, but the majority of the world would not. It really depends on how much rof matters to you, what kind of maintenance/reliability you want, etc. If you buy the ion, you'll be getting the biggest bang for your buck. If you buy the tac-one, you'll be buying quality. That's pretty much what it comes down to imo.

__Phoenix__
12-06-2006, 12:23 AM
www.themagsmith.com

or PM/email RougueFactor here on the forums.

PumpMag
12-06-2006, 12:44 AM
If you get a Mag you'll have a very reliable marker.

In all the years, I've owned my Automag, I've never had to send it in for repairs. Easy to fix if you take the time to learn how.

Now I have several mags.

Before buying anything, browse this forum. You'll be amazed at what modifications you can do.

I wish I joined this forum sooner.

jenarelJAM
12-06-2006, 03:11 AM
If you get a Mag you'll have a very reliable marker.

In all the years, I've owned my Automag, I've never had to send it in for repairs. Easy to fix if you take the time to learn how.

Now I have several mags.

Before buying anything, browse this forum. You'll be amazed at what modifications you can do.

I wish I joined this forum sooner.

I'd like to second that idea. Whether you buy a mag or not does not determine whether you can or should browse these forums. These are by FAR the most helpful and respectful forums I've come across, not to mention that the friendly corner is quite fun...
Stick around. You won't regret it.

olinar
12-06-2006, 04:14 AM
heres why i have a tac one.

i was gun shoppin a couple months ago and i was looking at an ion because it was cheap and looked pretty good with a new body kit.but it felt like i was holding a toy.i play better when im more confident in my gun and myself.i bought a tac one instead and fell in love it.the fell of the iframe is great and the gun is well balanced.the rof problem isnt a problem for me because i have an adjustable tank and that helps it to reach a hgh rof.but i put some lowers(emag trigger frame)so i can get a high rof with it now.it looks feels and shoots great.you wont be dissapointed.

mag_lover05
12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
tac one with ULT > anything sp...i mean ANYTHING, i have owned an upped ion as well as a tac...i liked the tac soooo much better.

Lenny
12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I own an '03 Shocker and in all honesty, I find myself using my 'Mag more often (albeit it's been in the shop for a while now). SP guns are, at the most, decent stock. With upgrades, they can really be good shooters. But Automags shoot great stock, and with some money put into it, it can shoot even better/faster. Another thing, SP floods the market. I bought my Shocker a year or so ago for $500 used with a few ups. Nowadays, I would probably only get $400 or so. No matter how much money you put into a 'Mag, you'r going to get a good resale.

Also, 'Mags even make good back ups to themselves. Say you have an EMag and the electronics fail. Switch it to mech and you're back in the game in 2 seconds. Have a Spydermag? Electronics fail? Swap off the grip frame to a mech, or replace the valve into another rail/body/frame combo and your good to go. Valve issues? Just slap a spare in! Kind of catch my drift? It's not like Automags have problems much to begin with, though.

Sam5992
12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
well i would get the mag. i have an ion, and i find that after every time I play. something goes wrong. I end up either spending the entire rest of the day after playng fixing it, or wasting time at the field, fixing it in the waiting area. for woodsball and scenario, you will be playing much longer games than the average speedball game, so there is a chance of haveing a malfunction on the field. With a mag that will never happen.

On a Tac-One with ULT you can probably get pretty close to the ion speed.

G Squat
12-06-2006, 11:22 AM
just to point out, most fields allow RT-ness up to an approximated 15 bps. They'll always tell you if its too reactive or not. You just need a tank with an adjustable reg and you'll be shooting as fast as you'll ever need.

teufelhunden
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Want to be able to find parts where ever you are? Get an Ion.
Want to be able to shoot fast without any effort [where allowed]? Get an Ion.
Want to be able to find upgrades from 234,588,924 different companies? Get an Ion.
Want to be able to keep your gun for 40 years? Get a 'Mag.
Want to be able to take your gun to a SCUBA-Paintball experiment? Get a 'Mag.

Want to get biased opinions for this question? Come to AO.

kruger
12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Me, I have to be honest. For the money, there is no other gun out there that competes with the ION. It does not matter what you think of Smart Parts, the fact is that they have made a great gun for an entry level price. People come to my field and rent guns for the day, and ask about which marker that they should buy. I always tell them to buy an Ion to start with. Good performance, fast, and fairly easy to work on. Entry level gun. And, you do get what you pay for. However, the mag is not for everybody. To me, it is an aquired taste. They are rock solid guns and can have very high rates of fire, if that is important to you. They are also very easy to work on and are built to last. And, the price reflects the fact that you are buying a quality marker. Out of the box sexy? Nope, but you can make is look like anything that you want. That is one of the great things about mags, they are modular. You can swap this part for that, to change the look and the feel of your gun. Serious Mag owners are not just paintballers, it is a life style for them. Their guns are an extension of their personality. Each one is different. Granted, you can spend $800 building an Ion from aftermarket parts, and have a really nice, unique looking marker, but when it is all said and done, its still just an Ion. And, for the same money, you can have a Mag that is near to the top of the food chain that will hold its value.

The simple fact is this, it all depends on you and your playing style and how serious you are about paintball. If you think that it is just something that you will do for a while and then drift on to something else, then get an Ion. If you think that you will be in it for the long haul, then get a Mag. You wont be dissapointed.

SCpoloRicker
12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Is it too early for the Goering "I work for Hitler..." image yet?

Still?

Dang.

/y'all slippin'

don miguel
12-06-2006, 12:57 PM
what "positon" do you play mostly?
if you like a good solid gun that you can get dirty, go for the tac one. if you like to shoot fast (stock ion can do up to 17, mabe more) then go for the ion. i reccomend the tac, because it's solid, one screw to field strip, level 10 antichop system, XVALVE capabe of 26+ cycles per second (AO correct me if i'm wrong), picatinny rails, cocker threads, and much more. tac= woodsball supermarker, ion= more speedball oriented but can be modded to work like a woodsball gun. :cheers:

Lenny
12-06-2006, 01:03 PM
if you like a good solid gun that you can get dirty, go for the tac one. if you like to shoot fast (stock ion can do up to 17, mabe more) then go for the ion. i reccomend the tac, because it's solid, one screw to field strip, level 10 antichop system, XVALVE capabe of 26+ cycles per second (AO correct me if i'm wrong), picatinny rails, cocker threads, and much more. tac= woodsball supermarker, ion= more speedball oriented but can be modded to work like a woodsball gun. :cheers:
Hmm... last I checked any gun can be a woodsball gun... I think you're confusion rec woods with highly modded scenario.

gus13
12-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Me, I have to be honest. For the money, there is no other gun out there that competes with the ION.

Serious Mag owners are not just paintballers, it is a life style for them. Their guns are an extension of their personality. Each one is different.

I have to disagree with the first statement on that, (I'm probably gonna get flamed but....) While the ion can be a decent marker for the money it certainly isn't the best marker you can get at that price. Take the ICD Promaster it goes for about $2- 250.00, and it is a very reliable easy to work on and shoots fast enough to suit any play style you want. The only bad thing about it IMO is Chris Lasoya endorses the things which is a blak mark in my book. :D
On the second statement I gotta agree One Hundred Percent! so if you do get a mag you can personalize it and it will be all yours, for all the mags out there there are no two exactly the same. and I consider it THE most reliable marker on the market. I wouldn't get rid of my Mags for anything.

don miguel
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Hmm... last I checked any gun can be a woodsball gun... I think you're confusion rec woods with highly modded scenario.

that explains it better. :cheers:

RoLLonBombs
12-06-2006, 07:54 PM
im a dagger myself :cheers: .

DSMowner1988
12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
i play alot of positions. everything from ambush->dag->medium R for senario and mostly mid to front in speedball

fullofpaint
12-06-2006, 09:36 PM
While the ion can be a decent marker for the money it certainly isn't the best marker you can get at that price. Take the ICD Promaster it goes for about $2- 250.00, and it is a very reliable easy to work on and shoots fast enough to suit any play style you want. The only bad thing about it IMO is Chris Lasoya endorses the things which is a blak mark in my book. :D

I have to say I like the promaster feels more comfortable to me BUT I've seen two promasters in my local area and both out of the box didn;t work for different reasons, one the noid was bad, and I don't recall what was wrong with the other. While you saw the same thing with ions at their relaese you really don't see that much more more jsut from user error.

IMO get either an Epiphany, PMR, or an Ion Pro. All an ion needs is a new trigger, and a clamping feedneck and they are stable lil guns. i have one for a beater backup to my DM6 and I love it, it's all stock with jsut a new reg and trigger and it rips.

Banshee23
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM
My eyes are on the Mag but i do want to know how to get it to shoot 15+bps :shooting:

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to shoot 15+ BPS with the Tac unless you decide to add Emag lowers to it. If you want electro speed you're going to have to use an electronic marker :(

gus13
12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
all I did w/ both my Promasters was put a hyper2 reg, checkit Unimount, and a stiffi barrelon em. and both worked fine so far. teh biggest problem I had w/ the promaster is the fact that its not complete out of the box you HAVE to buy an ASA and the hoses and elbows (they don't come with one) and IMO the stock reg sucks, so I'd suggest getting a new one as well. but still, considering that normally when it comes to markers most people buy one and then pretty much make it totally different but with the same shell, teh promaster doesn't really need any upgrades aside from the ones I mentioned. and even those are totally optional (minus ASA).also compared to the ion you get a little better performance at about the same price +/- $100, and its not as common as an ion so your not just "one of the crowd" I personally like to stand out a little bit. that and I really just don't like ions so I am very biased against them and not because of SP...all the ones I've seen in use seem to have nothing but problems i.e. turning the darn things on! I'm not alone when I say it takes me five minutes just to get the thing working!
but hey thats all subjective. really when it comes down to it if you get the e-tac you have yourself a solid marker that works for both scenario and speedball very well, so I'd have to suggest that over the ion anyway.

bentothejam1n
12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
if you get the mag get a couple tanks becaause mags are gas hogs. but if you get the ion just get a bolt kit

indecisive
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Buy a Mini :D
they're little and fast, and only about $400-450 just haven't hit shelves yet

you could also look at the Proto Rail or the Smart Parts Epiphany

I would go for a Tac-one over an Ion any day though.

edoz
12-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Because when I bought my first Mag a few months ago, it had been in a box in some guys closet/garage/attic for 10+ years. I put a few drops of oil in the asa, added air & paint, and ever since it's rocked harder than a Motorhead concert. I've played with it 9 or 10 times since then and I've had no problems at all. It has never failed to put paint right where I want it.
I get some weird reactions, people ask what it is, look at it funny, crack antique jokes, and I've even had someone at a local field call up all the other employees to come and check it out. When I'm out on the field though, if I can keep my dumb *** in the game long enough to get a shot at someone, they're going out. That's all there is to it. That thing is solid. That's why you buy a Mag.