PDA

View Full Version : Does Paypal honor forum transactions "gone wrong"

Glickman
12-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with whether or not paypal will give back your money if a forum trade goes wrong. I've had good experiences with ebay, but never tried buying something through a forum

spike_ball999
12-06-2006, 12:57 PM
All you can do is file a claim if something goes wrong and hope that the other person hasn't taken the funds out of their account yet.

DeTrevni
12-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Be careful. If the other person has no money in the account, you ain't getting it back.

I don't know what PayPal can do to insure trades, though. Also, PayPal charges a $25 handling fee to escelate the dispute to a claim.

flyingpootang
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
If they're PayPal verified a bank account is attached to their account. I haven't had any problem doing forum tradding here on AO, but I only deal with people with plenty of feedback. Always send a pm to all forum screen names on all the feedback links to make shure the person your dealing with isn't inpearsonating someone with good feedback. If your unshure or the deal is to good to be true use a 3rd party to do the transaction.

__Phoenix__
12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Remember, the use/payment/demand of an additional fee to cover the paypal seller transaction is prohibited and voids all paypal protection policy. That means if the seller says $xxx.xx shipped + x% paypal fees.... if paypal investigates the sale thread and sees that, then all parties are not covered.

Someone could buy something from you and claim a non-shipment. As the seller you would not be protected under the Seller's Protection from my claims had you charged the paypal fees to the customer, whether they actually recieved the item or not. <--- Ninja Scamzorz ;)
Somebody simply reporting your illegal sale to paypal could have your paypal account banned. <--- Good way to get back at someone :p

If you read that 8 billion page "users agreement" that everybody checks off and skips, it outlines it all in there in black and white (actually 1's and 0's) :rolleyes: Personally, I am surprised paintball forums allow stuff like requiring the buyer to cover fees, but they crack down on silly things like too many ups or crosslisting.

I went through the paypal agreement for you, and verbatem here is the Seller Protection Policy:

Policy Conditions. All of the following conditions must be met for a transaction to qualify for the Seller Protection Policy.

(...random requirements...)

3.a.iv - The seller does not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal payments. Sellers should not charge buyers any additional fee (or “surcharge”) if the buyer chooses PayPal as the method of payment.

(...continues on...)

Chronobreak
12-06-2006, 04:57 PM
so isnt it then also the buyers responsibility to not purchase from people charging paypal fees?

paypal fees should be lower, considering your $ is their $ until you spend it

rkjunior303
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
link paypal to a credit card and only use that for transactions.

if someone scams you, you can then chargeback the credit card. let paypal go after the scammer for the money.

__Phoenix__
12-06-2006, 06:24 PM
so isnt it then also the buyers responsibility to not purchase from people charging paypal fees?

paypal fees should be lower, considering your $ is their $ until you spend it
Paypal is a credit service, just like Visa or Mastercard. The fee is thier cut.

Visa and Mastercard also have policies for thier supported stores to not charge the customer a fee for using the credit service.

Chronobreak
12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
so what about all the $ they make in interest while your $ sits in their accounts? :confused:

guess thats not enough $ for what is basicly an automated service /sarcasm