PDA

View Full Version : Wood Vertical Panels

kruger
12-06-2006, 04:28 PM
OK, today I tried to make vertical panels for the 90 deg frames. The equipment that I have is not really set up to do sweeping curves, like the ones on these panels. Anyway, here is my first attempt, not perfect, but a good start. The wood is Honduran Rosewood. These panels are going to be more labor intensive to make, therefore, they will cost a bit more. I may have to buy a spindle sander to do the curves, but not sure if there is a market out there to justify the purchase. We will see...............

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/39000/P1020225_rs.JPG (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/39678.html)

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/39000/P1020227_rs.JPG (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/39679.html)

And, my phenominal photography skills have left out the fact that these grips are darker than they appear in this pic.

__Phoenix__
12-06-2006, 04:40 PM
do you 45* wraparounds, where the wood goes all the way around. Like one piece?

RabidFuzzle
12-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Those are absolutely gorgeous. If I had a vert frame I would buy them in a heartbeat. And cost be damned. :) Beautiful work.

Fuzz :bounce:

don miguel
12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Those are absolutely gorgeous. If I had a vert frame I would buy them in a heartbeat. And cost be damned. :) Beautiful work.

Fuzz :bounce:
:wow: :wow: :wow:
same!

buzzboy
12-06-2006, 04:53 PM
What kinda equipment are you using to make these and the Emag grips you did. They look killer.

kruger
12-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Sorry Phoenix, dont do those. You can still buy them, and there was somebody selling some in the b/s/t section not too long back. Smart Parts made them and there is a LOT of work involved with those. Lots of wasted wood when you make them too.

Thanks RabidFuzzle, not bad for a first attempt, if I do say so myself. Altho, there are big flaws on them, but, you cant really tell much from the pic that I posted. I will get a rythm down and make them better. Just trying to judge reaction from the AO natives before I dive too deeply into this branch......

CrimsonGhost
12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Nice job!
I would get some but ..I would HAVE to be sure they were WELL sealed and coated.
NIIICE job though.
Nothing says CLASS like a wood grip
Unless its a Ivory one;)

kruger
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Buzzy, I am using a Scroll saw, belt sander and a drill press. Oh, and I have a Mt. Dew bottle that I spit in, it stays on my bench. I spit a lot :D

C. Ghost, I pretty much insist that I seal all my grips. When the wood is sanded, it opens the pores to anything that happens to be floating by. Humidity, spit, ect. The Kingwood panels that I have in my thread have a horizontal grain, and I did not get the sealant on them quick enough. They look like brake shoes now. And, Ivory can be had. It aint cheap tho.....

grEnAlEins
12-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I am planning on buying a vert frame for my mag. If I get the frame I would pick one of these up in a heartbeat. I might even get a set for my Angel... Nice Job! :cheers:

kruger
12-06-2006, 05:27 PM
If I do gin these up, then I plan on running a thread on the Angel Owners forums. The only problem is that for the mags, you dont need a display window, but you do for the Angels. Will have to work that out when I get to that point.....

Phantom_Mag
12-06-2006, 08:16 PM
If you made a nice pair of bone black ones i would buy them according to price.

shartley
12-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Nice grips. Keep in mind that there is however a very limited market for them here on AO or similar forums.

Most folks I have found want front wraps which are a totally different beast. You may want to check out the pump forums or more “old school” forums if you have not already. There is a much bigger market there for the wood grips.

And yes, a spindle/drum sander will be a necessity if you are serious about making any number of them. And you can get them fairly inexpensively. Panels are a breeze though, until you get into really thin requirements and special windows. And make sure you tell your customers to not over tighten the grips.

Good luck and have fun.

gus13
12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I like'em and I am definitely hooked on getting them! Bloodwood, or heartwood. and yes cost be damned!
Love the work Kruger great job!!! :cheers:

kruger
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Nice grips. Keep in mind that there is however a very limited market for them here on AO or similar forums.

Most folks I have found want front wraps which are a totally different beast. You may want to check out the pump forums or more “old school” forums if you have not already. There is a much bigger market there for the wood grips.

And yes, a spindle/drum sander will be a necessity if you are serious about making any number of them. And you can get them fairly inexpensively. Panels are a breeze though, until you get into really thin requirements and special windows. And make sure you tell your customers to not over tighten the grips.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the feedback and the pointers. To be honest, I am just piddlin' around with this grip thing. I felt that I could make a set for my Xmag and thought that it would be nice to offer this for others to take advatage of. I knew that when I started the grip panels for the E/Xmag that there would be a very limited market for them. And, there has been very limited sales of them. The vertical grips are something of a challenge to me. Emag panels are relativly simple to do, no curves. The vert. panels are mostly curves and the ones that I have in the first post are done on a belt sander, and it shows. I like working with wood, but it can be very unforgiving. You make a mistake, and it shows up at the end. I havent decided that there is enough justification for me to buy a spindle sander just yet, so I am not sure if I will be making very many of the vertical panels. I made these just to see if I could, with the equipment that I have now. As I stated, I do intend to start a thread on the Angel forums, but it is not a driving reason to do the grips. I like it here on AO, and mostly troll here. If I sell the grip panels, then fine. But if I dont, then that is also fine. Its not really the money, not really making any with this anyway, but it is enjoyable for me. As for the 45 grip panels, there is an incredibly huge aftermarket for those already in place. Just look for the custom gun stock makers, you will find more than you realize is out there. I will make them, but I dont plan on it as a regular thing for me. I will offer to make the panels as long as there is an interest in them, or until I get tired of it.

craltal
12-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Considering I bought one of Rogue's new run of Chimera frames, I'm going to be in the market for some real nice wood grips for it. I just need to find my wood stash amongst the boxes from the move...

about how much do you think for a set? we can discuss through pm's if you'd prefer to not do so in the open forums. depending how much wood I have I might also be wanting some emag panels and a set of 45's

shartley
12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the pointers. To be honest, I am just piddlin' around with this grip thing. I felt that I could make a set for my Xmag and thought that it would be nice to offer this for others to take advatage of. I knew that when I started the grip panels for the E/Xmag that there would be a very limited market for them. And, there has been very limited sales of them. The vertical grips are something of a challenge to me. Emag panels are relativly simple to do, no curves. The vert. panels are mostly curves and the ones that I have in the first post are done on a belt sander, and it shows. I like working with wood, but it can be very unforgiving. You make a mistake, and it shows up at the end. I havent decided that there is enough justification for me to buy a spindle sander just yet, so I am not sure if I will be making very many of the vertical panels. I made these just to see if I could, with the equipment that I have now. As I stated, I do intend to start a thread on the Angel forums, but it is not a driving reason to do the grips. I like it here on AO, and mostly troll here. If I sell the grip panels, then fine. But if I dont, then that is also fine. Its not really the money, not really making any with this anyway, but it is enjoyable for me. As for the 45 grip panels, there is an incredibly huge aftermarket for those already in place. Just look for the custom gun stock makers, you will find more than you realize is out there. I will make them, but I dont plan on it as a regular thing for me. I will offer to make the panels as long as there is an interest in them, or until I get tired of it.
Good to see you take a realistic approach to it all. :) As for the .45 panel market, you are correct. That is also why I suggested checking out the “old school” and “pump” forums. If you really want some fun (and challenge) I suggest getting your hands on a Sheridan grip frame and make front wraps. They will probably sell as fast as you make them if you do a good job. How do I know? Because I still get hounded to make more of them. But I am taking a break. When I make more they will be “theme” grips with a lot more decorative carving and checkering than what I have done in the past. I don’t see myself getting into it like I did in the past though.

Another tip if I may… no matter how much people beg and offer to pre-pay, don’t do it. Make what you want and then offer it for sale. You will thank yourself later for it, or kick yourself for not. ;)

:cheers:

kruger
12-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Another tip if I may… no matter how much people beg and offer to pre-pay, don’t do it. Make what you want and then offer it for sale. You will thank yourself later for it, or kick yourself for not. ;)

:cheers:

Thanks for the tip. Pre-pay=pressure. pressure=no fun :(

Good advice and this one thing that I had pretty much decided up front.

etjoyride
12-07-2006, 09:13 PM
depending on the price and whether or not i still have a vert at the time, i'll prob get a set...

GOOD JOB

kruger
12-07-2006, 09:18 PM
If I decide to do these, and, I probably will, then they will be slightly higher than the Emag panels. They do take a bit more work, at least right now they do, and they do not take much more wood than the Emag panels so the wood cost will be the same. Still thinking on it.......