PDA

View Full Version : I learned a few things about mall jewlery stores today

Lohman446
12-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Aside from there expensive for me to walk into and are overpriced for little nuggets of rock...

They have metal detectors - apparently there set pretty high to avoid accidentally discharging them. However, between my pocket knife, crescent wrench, multi-tool, spare magazine (clip, whatever), and pistol, I apparently trip them, because as soon as I walk in theres this high pitch buzz noise that goes away when a counter person walks behind the counter closest to the door and presses a button.

After you go throug multiple stores browsing eventually you look back and get this dude in a suit watching you. And yes he does follow you when you go to the next store. By the way, he gets really really agitated when you wave at him :p

skife
12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
would have been pretty interesting if they would have searched you with a pistol in your pocket.

spwz99
12-06-2006, 11:57 PM
i wish we could get concealed carry permits in Illinois. but the democratic governor couldn't have that now could he? :mad:

Lohman446
12-07-2006, 09:12 AM
would have been pretty interesting if they would have searched you with a pistol in your pocket.

Considering I routinely outarm most security personal (and am better qualified) :p Nah, I would have told security if properly identified and dealt with it, its not like it was not allowed where I was.

Recon by Fire
12-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh teh noes! LOL the mall cop was surveilling you!

__Phoenix__
12-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Are you allowed to carry a handgun in a jewelery store, be it a mall or otherwise? And what about the post office at the mall?

Ohio recentlty got it's CCW act passed in the past few years, and I'd estimate you can carry it about 25% you need to go to have a normal life.

IIRC
No bars, banks, schools, post offices (or other govn't places), or anywhere that has a no guns sign. Basically the CZ-75 stays at home all the time. :(
I don't get enough practice with it to responsibly carry it around. If your going to carry a weapon, you can be a hazard to yourself or others if you don't regularly practice.

The people that really scare me are the ones who buy a gun and take it out half a dozen times to shoot it just to get their carry permit, and carry it around because they can - it's thier right they claim. These are the ignorant people that give guns a poor rep... guns don't kill or injure people, other people do.

__Phoenix__
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
This is the card I carry around and give to managers at stores that have "No Firearms" signs around.

https://www.ohioccw.org/catalog/images/no_guns_cards.gif

Recon by Fire
12-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Nice card! In Texas a business simply posting "no guns" doesn't mean anything. They either have the correct state sign or feel free to ignore them until they personly tell you otherwise.

I've been considering a few Xmas shopping options for myself too, somewhat thread realated:

#1 Springfield XD 45ACP, tritium night sights. Could throw in a lasermax guidepin replacement laser but then everyone would see my hand shake, LOL. Already have a tac-light that will fit the rail.

#2 AR-15 build; CAV15 polymer lower, Bushmaster carbon upper, 20" barrel. Green furniture and lower.

Oh, Santa..... :dance:

__Phoenix__
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM
I've had my eye on one of 3...

Springfield .45 GAP with Laser Guidepin (shorter round, higher pressures, higher capacity, same performance versus .45ACP)
Glock Model 20C - 10mm compensated pistol... 10mm is a helluva powerful round :D
Smith&Wesson SW40GVE - Basically a knockoff of the Glock .40

Dreams:
Kimber Eclipse .45ACP - Mow faces... look good doing it :cool:
.44 Automag - can we say "overpenetration FTW" :hail:

Recon by Fire
12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Thought I heard some bad reviews of the GAP, I don't know never fired that round....

I'be been carrying an issued Glock for overa year and it has kind of grown on me. The Springfield just looks like a slightly improved Glock.

Been eyeing a few Kimbers myself, Raptor!

__Phoenix__
12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
As far as the GAP goes, it's a shorter round than the ACP with the same .45 bullet. Technically you can say it's a more modern .45 that allows the round to be shorter and utilizes higher pressure when fired to produce the same results as the venerable .45. This makes it small enough for a double stack magazine that fits in an ergonomic frame. While they fall short of .45 ACP +P loads, I would still reather have a dozen .45 GAP rounds in my clip than seven .45 ACP rounds and sacrifice the option to use +P loads.
Think of it like the difference between a 45/4500 and a 68/3000 tank, both have the same efficiency and one's smaller.
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Glock37/Thumbs/MVC-006F.jpg

Also

The intimidation factor of a firearm in a situation is often powerful enough to detter its warrented use. You can't tell me if somebody whipped out an Eclipse you wouldn't impressed. Although the only thing I dislike about kimber is some of their models have quite a bit of aluminum on them.

BTW... Kimber Eclipse:
http://www.primarmi.it/prima_06/products/kimber/eclipse_350.gif

Dubstar112
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.primarmi.it/prima_06/products/kimber/eclipse_350.gif

That is definatley an impressive display to cary around.

bornl33t
12-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Makes me want to go to the mall and try it out!!!!!! I wanna see if I can get a sneaky guy to follow me too! But he can't have my socks.

Ole Unka Phil
12-09-2006, 09:41 AM
I sort of lean to the 45 gap being a solution looking for a problem. It does not seem to be taking off and it does not seem to offer a lot of advantages that could not already be met with traditional loads. However I am not against change. I just don't see the tiny incremental differences making that much diffference in real use. Money could be better spent on proper training than on worrying about a few FPS here and so forth after a point. This is the same way I feel about the newish 357 auto. A solution looking for a problem. And the problems are all training related and the basic fact that a pistol is a poor weapon for some things. It gives up a lot of bullet speed just to fit in the holster/pocket. It is a compromize. And no amount of bullet design is going to change that very much at all. That and the fact that if you miss with it you might as well be carrying a sling shot.

I did consider a 45 gap at one point. But only because the poor little gun was sitting there with a reduced price tag because it was not selling. But that, in itself, gave me reason to pause. Last I went by there it was still sitting there. Still on sale. Its a good round. Its just not a very versitile round at this point due to limited bullet manufacturing. Someday it may win out a few more converts. Or it could just fade back into the darkeness. Who knows.

But there are other things that will do you just as good without it. 40 cal, 45 cal, even 9mm. If it hits the right place its going to work.

What do I carry you ask? Well.... you didn't ask did you? I gonna tell ya anyway...

I carry the following depending on how I dress, how small I need for that, when and where I am going and how I feel that day:

A .38 caliber J frame 5 shot revolver with Crimson Trace laser grip loaded with Corbon DPX
A Glock G27 (.40 cal) with Meprolight night sights loaded with Federal Hydroshok personal defense
A Seecamp .32 cal semi auto (.32 because I cannot afford the .380 version) loaded with Speer Gold Dot or Federal Hydroshok FMJ

__Phoenix__
12-09-2006, 11:40 AM
that is true unka phil.

If I get a .45 cal sometime soon, it will probably be this though cause of the 14 round capacity.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-45acp.shtml

Ole Unka Phil
12-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Nice choice.

Me? I would probably opt for the G30 but thats just me. It is 13+1 also. But for me the grip is too fat on all 45's I have handled. The XD came closer to fitting but it too long in the palm for me. The G30 was too round for me. Neither of them felt right in my hand. The G36 is an option but I hear too many troubles out of those and the 6+1 capacity turns me off to. Not that anyone needs these kinda capacities for normal self defense. Just sorta makes you feel comfortable though don't it? Probably why I like the G22 and G27 is the fit is good for me. And I don't feel under loaded with the G27 with my 10 round mag +1 either. And the G22 has 15+1 mags. But its a drawer house gun queen for me. So I don't mention it as a carry gun.

I really like the 40 cal stuff though all things considered. To me it a great balance of caliber vs recoil vs expense. As always, it is a compromise every time. This seems the best compromise to me for my needs.

I have been spending a good deal of time on Point and Shoot technique lately. I am converted from traditional site shooting now except for when traditional target shooting. Getting pretty good at it. Its great fun too.