View Full Version : Someone just got there SFL re-annoed

>><<
12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Just saw this on precsionpb.com

http://www.precisionpb.com/sfl.jpg

http://www.precisionpb.com/sfl2.jpg

A-Tach-One
12-10-2006, 04:10 PM
yeah, rudz pointed that out to me last week. Looks great.

Chronobreak
12-10-2006, 04:42 PM
looks great, hopefully they have a red valve :cool:

don miguel
12-10-2006, 05:20 PM
sweet

rkjunior303
12-10-2006, 05:54 PM
i hope it was just dirty. the finish looks like crap.

mobsterboy
12-10-2006, 06:53 PM
looks like a half gloss half dust...

Triangle
12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
It looks terrible.
Hope they didn't pay tooo much.

CoolHand
12-10-2006, 10:52 PM
It's been oiled.

Old anodizer's trick used to even out ano's where the color looks a little blotchy. Worked best on dust and satin ano's, and can make such finishes look like gloss if the oil isn't wiped up real good.

After seeing that, I'd not send anything I cared for to them, since that is a stop-gap measure at best.

If I got back a marker that had been oiled after it had been anodized, I'd hit it with degreaser first thing, to see what they're covering up.

Be careful though, don't use anything caustic. That will remove even good ano. :wow:

Hopefully they were just covering a hard water mark, or a finger print someplace that doesn't matter, or something like that.

:cheers:

Triangle
12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
It's been oiled.

Old anodizer's trick used to even out ano's where the color looks a little blotchy. Worked best on dust and satin ano's, and can make such finishes look like gloss if the oil isn't wiped up real good.

After seeing that, I'd not send anything I cared for to them, since that is a stop-gap measure at best.

If I got back a marker that had been oiled after it had been anodized, I'd hit it with degreaser first thing, to see what they're covering up.

Be careful though, don't use anything caustic. That will remove even good ano. :wow:

Hopefully they were just covering a hard water mark, or a finger print someplace that doesn't matter, or something like that.

Don't do that with my Dallara, damnit.

/cough get on yahoo/cough

CoolHand
12-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Don't do that with my Dallara, damnit.

/cough get on yahoo/cough

Roger that.

/no way Jose
//must sleep
///but thanks for reminding me to turn it back on

spike_ball999
12-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I wonder who did that...

And I wonder who's it is.

Rudz
12-11-2006, 12:15 AM
rick at precision annod it, it was sent to tuna by some guy in hawaii, yeah im all up on these things..

/sfl hunter..

shorty24
12-11-2006, 12:16 AM
i guess most of that area will be covered by grip panels, but STILL...

Arstron
12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Is it just me or does it look scratched/pittied on the battery pack and body?

spike_ball999
12-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Is it just me or does it look scratched/pittied on the battery pack and body?

Ok, I thought I was crazy too. I looked at it the first time and thought they were scratches but I kept thinking to myself "No, someone couldn't overlook that" and I wiped my screen to see if there was dog hair on it.

I'm not just seeing hair everywhere!

SCpoloRicker
12-11-2006, 12:43 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/192/dogdonotwantqv2.jpg

bunny5
12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Looks like what happen'd to my lasoya....

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174635

Edit* When this happend to me; precisionpb was a relatively small company and had to work some bugs out.

Either way if it didn't turn out good Precision will probably take care of it for the owner.

FA22RaptorF22
12-11-2006, 03:37 PM
aaaa :eek: sorry bunny, ill never send anything to that guy. im going to send my karta to GBA to get anno'ed. ive seen beautiful fades come out of there.

Tunaman
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
This SFL is beautiful. The pictures are crap. Dont let your eyes trick you into thinking anything less.

robnix
12-11-2006, 05:24 PM
aaaa :eek: sorry bunny, ill never send anything to that guy. im going to send my karta to GBA to get anno'ed. ive seen beautiful fades come out of there.

That's the same guy that works with oddpb to come up with creations like the Styg's HallowMag, and several other amazing markers. If you want to see what Rick has done with better pictures, look over at http://www.oddpb.com. All the markers there were annoed by precisionpb. Look under Gallery > Oddities.

robnix
12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
This SFL is beautiful. The pictures are crap. Dont let your eyes trick you into thinking anything less.

Here's what happens when you use bad compression on your images when resizing them. See the scratches, especially on the speedline? They actually aren't there, the people that bought these items can attest to the fact that those barrels are in almost mint condition.

http://seattlesoho.com/saleitems/image3-small.jpg

Here's another example, the Function On/Off is NOT all oily and beat up looking. There were a few scratches on it, but they were mostly around the hole on the front, not the sides.

http://seattlesoho.com/saleitems/image0-small.jpg

RRfireblade
12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
After seeing that, I'd not send anything I cared for to them....

:cry:

robnix
12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Might want to check your links, it keeps asking me to login to seattlesoho.com everytime this page loads for me. ;)

Should be fixed now.

CoolHand
12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
:cry:

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

If the picture is faulty, then obviously my observations are faulty too.

However, I HAVE seen anodizers oil things to make blemishes not show for a few weeks. Just long enough for you to use the parts and give them some plausible deniability.

I've had it done to me before (luckily I caught it and cleaned them to be sure), so I know it's happened at least once or twice.

bunny5
12-11-2006, 08:43 PM
What happened to my marker was dissolution.....

Precisionpb:

Dissolution occurs when the sealer does not seal properly. We pack parts in oil to remove smut that may be caused by buildup of sealer, and it appears that the oil penetrated the sealer during shipping and caused the finish to become blotchy/discolored.

robnix
12-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Might want to check your links, it keeps asking me to login to seattlesoho.com everytime this page loads for me. ;)

Heh, you need to edit the links out of your post now.

:rolleyes:

robnix
12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

If the picture is faulty, then obviously my observations are faulty too.

However, I HAVE seen anodizers oil things to make blemishes not show for a few weeks. Just long enough for you to use the parts and give them some plausible deniability.

I've had it done to me before (luckily I caught it and cleaned them to be sure), so I know it's happened at least once or twice.

That's good advice. I'll make sure to remember that when I get stuff annoed.

PrecisionPB
12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Psh. Its called not having time to wipe all the crap off of it before I took the picture on a cloudy day with no flash and a two megapixel camera. Why I would use three gallons of oil when photoshop would do the trick just fine, I don't know.

Nevermind that I didn't think that picture looked half bad. :mad:

Edit: And ask anyone who has done business with me. If I sell you an ano that goes to crap, I _always_ fix it. I can't make 100% of ano jobs on markers (coughmagscough) made from 4 different alloys always be perfect. When I screw up, I fix it. I stand by my work, and I certainly don't sell a **** job and run from it. I think the fact that I've been in business (largely by myself - occasional help with prep) for going on two and a half years speaks for itself. In case it doesn't, let me remind you that I manage to turn things around relatively quickly, reply to emails, answer the phone, ship stuff, maintain the site and goto college full time. I work my *** off, for someone to imply that I pass off lousy work in an effort to make a quick buck... pretty much pisses me right the hell off.

If this is beginning to sound something like a rant, its because it is. Sometimes I ask myself why people like Krazee at FBM would ditch such a dream job. People are too quick to criticize and too slow to compliment these days, I think.

Alias_Render
12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I must own a SFL if you have an SFL and want a good home for it contact me. $$$$$

minimag03
12-11-2006, 11:35 PM
i hope it was just dirty. the finish looks like crap.

I had a frame done by them. They are horrible, NERVER have work done by them.

PrecisionPB
12-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Prove it. I speak to the vast bulk of my customers on the phone when thier order comes in, while its here, and before it goes back out. If I screwed your frame up, why haven't we had a conversation to this effect? I remember that kind of stuff, and I don't remember you or any problem as you accuse. Picture, order number, last four of a credit card, money order reciept, date order shipped? I'll take the rap if I screwed something of yours up, but that isn't the case here, I'm sure of it.

CoolHand
12-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Psh. Its called not having time to wipe all the crap off of it before I took the picture on a cloudy day with no flash and a two megapixel camera. Why I would use three gallons of oil when photoshop would do the trick just fine, I don't know.

Nevermind that I didn't think that picture looked half bad. :mad:

Edit: And ask anyone who has done business with me. If I sell you an ano that goes to crap, I _always_ fix it. I can't make 100% of ano jobs on markers (coughmagscough) made from 4 different alloys always be perfect. When I screw up, I fix it. I stand by my work, and I certainly don't sell a **** job and run from it. I think the fact that I've been in business (largely by myself - occasional help with prep) for going on two and a half years speaks for itself. In case it doesn't, let me remind you that I manage to turn things around relatively quickly, reply to emails, answer the phone, ship stuff, maintain the site and goto college full time. I work my *** off, for someone to imply that I pass off lousy work in an effort to make a quick buck... pretty much pisses me right the hell off.

If this is beginning to sound something like a rant, its because it is. Sometimes I ask myself why people like Krazee at FBM would ditch such a dream job. People are too quick to criticize and too slow to compliment these days, I think.

Hey man, you can rant all you like, it's a free country.

But I'll tell you one thing (and realize, we've not done business, so this isn't aimed directly at you or anything), but IMO anodizers are not to be trusted. In my six or so years in this business, I've been screwed more times by anodizers than I can count, and that includes FBM. That guy has so much stress BECAUSE he screws so much stuff up and ships it anyway. The things that have come out of that shop that never should have, would make the blood run out of your face. Never mind that they're outright thieves to top it off (go talk to element PB about that one).

Maybe you didn't oil the parts to cover anything, maybe you just like the look, I don't know, but I DO know that the old oil trick will hide many sins. Don't forget that we did ano in house for a little over two years, I know pretty much all the bobs and weaves (which is why I send my ano out now that my help is gone, I know how much of a PITA it is).

The pic that was posted looked suspicious, so I said so. Given my past experiences, if it smells funny and it comes from an anodizer, chances are very high that it's a turd, so I said that too.

If that's not the case, great. Better than average news for everyone. If it is the case, then everyone knows one more thing to look out for when sending parts out to ano.

EDIT: Completely off topic here. WTH do I keep getting asked to log into something random to view this thread now? If I click cancel it goes away and everything loads like normal. Anyone know what's up with that? :confused:

PrecisionPB
12-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Fair enough.

Rudz
12-12-2006, 12:29 AM
I must own a SFL if you have an SFL and want a good home for it contact me. $$$$$

lol... :spit_take

you make me laugh..

rkjunior303
12-12-2006, 12:34 AM
well said ryan.

let's let the owner speak up once they receive the marker.. pictures CAN be deceiving sometimes. I hope not - it'd be an awesome fade if its just a bad image.

PrecisionPB
12-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Just two cents on the oil, too.

Seems like most anodizers do a wipedown of some kind post-sealer. The stuffs a suspended nickel salt, and it leaves smut. Oil works good, so does goo-gone. I wouldn't use any commercial degreaser (soap and water would be fine) on ano that hasn't had any cure time. Anyways - an oil being present isn't always a bad thing, though I will yield that it can be used to make a poor surface look alright.

robnix
12-12-2006, 01:09 AM
EDIT: Completely off topic here. WTH do I keep getting asked to log into something random to view this thread now? If I click cancel it goes away and everything loads like normal. Anyone know what's up with that? :confused:

It's my fault. The pics I posted are on my site, but the original link was from viewing them through the Cpanel file manager, so it wants a log in. My booboo. Then Arstron quoted me, and doubled the pain. Once he deletes or edits his post, then the login will go away.

minimag03
12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Prove it. I speak to the vast bulk of my customers on the phone when thier order comes in, while its here, and before it goes back out. If I screwed your frame up, why haven't we had a conversation to this effect? I remember that kind of stuff, and I don't remember you or any problem as you accuse. Picture, order number, last four of a credit card, money order reciept, date order shipped? I'll take the rap if I screwed something of yours up, but that isn't the case here, I'm sure of it.

I didn't pursue the the crappy anno cause I didn't think you would believe my story. I didn't get a chance to look at the frame untill over a month after it arrived at my house. I figured you would say "too bad, should have complained earlier". It was also my first experience with an annodizer so I was unsure what what to do with the situation. I'll have pics up of the frame tonight and can give you the infomation on the order via PM if you are really interested in fixing the problem. However, I don't want it re-anno'd by you. I'd rather have a refund of the $45 you changed me to anno a frame and trigger when you advertised around $8 per part.

Arstron
12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
It's my fault. The pics I posted are on my site, but the original link was from viewing them through the Cpanel file manager, so it wants a log in. My booboo. Then Arstron quoted me, and doubled the pain. Once he deletes or edits his post, then the login will go away.
Sorry, my post is deleted, didnt even think about that. :tard:

robnix
12-12-2006, 04:47 PM
fuggedaboutit, I deserve the heat for this one.

minimag03
12-12-2006, 05:16 PM
The frame was very clean when I took the pics, however there was some specs of dust. In the time I have had it, it has been used maybe 3 times. None of the damage came from me. The rest of my mag doesn't even have a mark on it.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/minimag03/f1.jpg

The scrapes on the edge of the frame came were on it from PrecisionPB.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/minimag03/f4.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/minimag03/f3.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/minimag03/f2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/minimag03/f5.jpg

I requested that the frame be anno'd very glossy black. When asked for an example I told them like CP's barrels. They said they completely understood. Above is a CP barrel compared to what they did to the frame. The anno is so thin that the trigger pin will not stay in. Coolhand designed the frames to a good anno would keep the pins in fairly tight. Sorry for the big pics.

CoolHand
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I can understand someone charging more if they have to put a high polish on a part that started out looking like any of my raw frames did. You have to sand first, then polish. It takes a lot of time.

It's fine to charge more money, but IMO (and many anodizers have heard this from me in person) you cannot charge extra to polish the pieces to a high gloss, and then NOT polish the pieces to a high gloss.

I got an entire batch of parts back from another anodizer looking much the same as the above pic, after agreeing to pay 50% more because of all the extra prep work. They didn't polish them a bit, anodized them, shipped them back, and tried to charge me extra. When I questioned them on it, they said it was too much work, and said they didn't want to do any more of my stuff (like I'd send anything else after a stunt like that anyway).

I've had more than one other company try to go from raw machined finished to glossy shine in one step using nothing more than a buffing wheel and black compound. Consequently, I've gotten back several parts that looked like modern art.

Just be happy they didn't mangle it or anything like that. A crappy ano you can have redone. When half the mass of the part has been polished away, there is nothing you can do but cry.

minimag03
12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Just two cents on the oil, too.

Seems like most anodizers do a wipedown of some kind post-sealer. The stuffs a suspended nickel salt, and it leaves smut. Oil works good, so does goo-gone. I wouldn't use any commercial degreaser (soap and water would be fine) on ano that hasn't had any cure time. Anyways - an oil being present isn't always a bad thing, though I will yield that it can be used to make a poor surface look alright.

Well PrecisionPB, where are you? Or do I need to spend more wasted money to call you guys.?

PrecisionPB
12-14-2006, 06:36 PM
I see this was done more than a year ago. While I understand that you may not have wanted to present your case a month after you recieved the piece - you have to understand that I can't fix a problem if I don't know it exists.

Beyond that, when you sent that piece to me, my shop wasn't anything more than a battery charger and a bucket. Calculating build thickness wasn't even something I knew about then, nevermind the improvements in line and personal skill I've undergone. I'm willing to refund your money or redo the piece as a gesture of goodwill. Obviously, I would prefer the latter - but its your call. I don't keep up with PM's here, but if you are inclined to get me your number I'd be happy to use my free long distance to foot the bill.

Should we do business in the future (or you do business with another anodizer) it would be best if you let them know of issues that concern you within a reasonable time frame. A year out is a mighty long time.

Edit - And I'm not "you guys". Just me here.

jenarelJAM
12-15-2006, 04:50 PM
I see this was done more than a year ago. While I understand that you may not have wanted to present your case a month after you recieved the piece - you have to understand that I can't fix a problem if I don't know it exists.

Beyond that, when you sent that piece to me, my shop wasn't anything more than a battery charger and a bucket. Calculating build thickness wasn't even something I knew about then, nevermind the improvements in line and personal skill I've undergone. I'm willing to refund your money or redo the piece as a gesture of goodwill. Obviously, I would prefer the latter - but its your call. I don't keep up with PM's here, but if you are inclined to get me your number I'd be happy to use my free long distance to foot the bill.

Should we do business in the future (or you do business with another anodizer) it would be best if you let them know of issues that concern you within a reasonable time frame. A year out is a mighty long time.

Props

zazzoo
12-15-2006, 05:29 PM

heh this guy seems very cool he has his hands full with all of his stuff and he is willing to fix that mistake from a year ago i think if i ever need a anno i will use this guy he is a class act and i thougt the mag looked nice but thats just my 2 cents