eyah what they said^^^^^^^^^^^^ :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Lenny
12-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Ha ha ha. That made my day.

Merry Christmas everyone!

WenULiVeUdiE
12-16-2006, 10:56 PM
That was just silly....

Merry Christmas and have a Happy Hanukah.

Ehh, what the hell... Happy New Year!

jenarelJAM
12-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey! I'm a democrat!

But for <i>that</i> specific arguement, I'll agree with you guys.

Merry Christmas!

Below is an excerpt from my school paper in response to "Merry Christmas" being said again in stores, written by myself:

Should businesses greet shoppers with “Merry Christmas” instead of “Happy Holidays?”

by jenarelJAM

In today's society, being politically correct has apparently become more important than expressing one’s true thoughts. That’s not to say that intolerant statements are acceptable. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, whether you are Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, or even Atheist, most people understand the meaning of ”Merry Christmas” to be one of well wishes, not a religious incitement. Nevertheless, our society has become so fixated upon not giving offense that a simple statement of good intentions sparks controversy.

I ask, “what do non-Christians gain from hearing the term ‘Happy Holidays’ over ‘Merry Christmas’"? Non-Christians may feel "Happy Holidays" is more universal, more tolerant of others' beliefs, less proselytizing. I can respect that. But what I can't condone is the idea that, even though they want Christmas greeters to respect their differing beliefs, they can't respect the holiday cheer and Christmas spirit instilled in the average shopper when he or she hears “Merry Christmas.”

According to a survey in 2002 by the Pew Research Council, over 80% of the people in the United States claim Christianity as their religious preference, and most of the rest don’t object to the phrase “Merry Christmas.” It doesn't make business sense for a company to ignore the vast majority to placate a tiny minority. Large corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to make as much money as possible. Wal-Mart, Macy's, TJMax, Kohl's, and others are not promoting religious discrimination, but are trying to increase sales by accommodating the majority. On their online site, Wal-Mart has equally accessible Hanukkah and Kwanzaa sections, and Macy's sells Hanukkah gift cards in addition to Christmas gift cards. The large chain stores are respecting cultural diversity instead of lumping everything together in a blanket “Holiday” category. Each person is entitled to the recognition of his or her own holiday.

While I realize the emphasis on Christmas, and therefore Christianity, may displease those who practice other religions, Christmas is the dominant winter holiday in America.

Christmas in America is now more commonly regarded as a secular holiday than one of strict religious significance, a time of gift giving, partying, eggnog, mistletoe, and wreathes. None of these has any tangible connection to Christianity. Eggnog was created in renaissance Europe as a winter treat, and winter wreathes were present before the presence of Christianity, in Germany, as a winter wish for spring. Ancient traditions have been adapted for the celebration of Christmas. Christmas has traditional importance in this country. Other holidays are worthy of respect, but Christmas, as the dominant winter holiday in America, should not be banished from view.

shartley
12-18-2006, 07:42 AM
I wish everyone a happy and healthy Holiday Season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

flyboy
12-18-2006, 08:39 AM
I wish everyone a happy and healthy Holiday Season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas!!

ghostdog2019
12-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

SCpoloRicker
12-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Joyous Winter Solstice!

/ducks