PDA

View Full Version : why are emag so expensive??

nathanjones008
12-20-2006, 09:49 AM
I am thinking about a emag, but the only turn off is tyhe price. i have noticed that emags have been on the market for about four or five years.the prices are still outrageous. on the airgun websight a emag cost one thousand dollars and tunamart it is 850.00 which is a bit better but for a market that has been on the market for such a long time i think that is a steep price. the minimag has decreased in price, so has the classics and the rts,, which is a great thing and these markets are more affordable. i think if agd lowers the price on the emag to like 600 -700 they will sell way more ,after all there is now better quality that agd. if anyone know where i can get a brand new emag that is cheaper that 1000-850 let me know also if there is anyone who know if or when i price drop will happend for the emags let me know, as soon as they drop in prices i am all over it,.

thanks in advanced

ps not to mention the flatline reg that is additional 175.00

all comment are welcome :clap: :dance:

mobsterboy
12-20-2006, 09:56 AM
thats what happens when you get mag enthusiasts who refuse to sell for less than its worth. Its not about the buyers market, its about the sellers market with mags

BigEvil
12-20-2006, 10:00 AM
They also arent produced in large quanities, so the price goes way up to make them.

master_alexander
12-20-2006, 10:04 AM
thats what happens when you get mag enthusiasts who refuse to sell for less than its worth. Its not about the buyers market, its about the sellers market with mags

another thing to take into consideration, alot of the emags have some cool stuff on them, i see alot of tuna/fireblades. i havent found an emag with a stock battery pack (although im sure there is one) but since alot of the new upgrades came out it has made the prices go up.

nathanjones008
12-20-2006, 10:07 AM
so you are saying that most people do not sell them or they do not sell them for cheap? i wish thaey would go down to 600-700 range. but i refuse to spend 1000 bones. there are so many electro that are brand new for under 500 that are really good . but i do not want to buy them becasue they are not as high as quality as agd. i currently have a ule custom rt mag, which is good, but i really want a emag, i want to try one but no shops have them. also do i need a flatline reg to run a emag or is a regular preset ok?

flyboy
12-20-2006, 10:22 AM
so you are saying that most people do not sell them or they do not sell them for cheap? i wish thaey would go down to 600-700 range. but i refuse to spend 1000 bones. there are so many electro that are brand new for under 500 that are really good . but i do not want to buy them becasue they are not as high as quality as agd. i currently have a ule custom rt mag, which is good, but i really want a emag, i want to try one but no shops have them. also do i need a flatline reg to run a emag or is a regular preset ok?

I run my emags with no extra regulator. Mags like HP. So 900 or better is good. Mine seem to run fine on 850 though.

I've bought both of my mags used. One was like new and I got it for 400, the other I spent 800 or so on but it's an etac and had a q loader and a longbow stock on it. It also has an aftermarket board that makes it rock. I sold the q and the stock making the effective money I spent on it around 600 bucks.

Monitor the used market. They are still a little expensive but I don't see new ones dropping drastically so you're probably not going to lose a lot of money if you play with it a year and then sell it.

electriceel125
12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
You can use regular HP preset tank. Why dont you try looking for something used? All the quality that goes into AGD makes for some long lasting markers.

Chronobreak
12-20-2006, 11:14 AM
want a nib e-mag for cheap

pm me :D

quality cost $, as well as things that are not made overseas in the thousands

i dont think agd can lower the price much without losing $, or screwing themselves.

--say that did drop the price to 500~, do you think anyone or a significant amt of people would buy them even at that price?...no they would all still buy a mini or w/e electro bob is oushing that week.

68_Classic
12-20-2006, 11:55 AM
another thing to take into consideration, alot of the emags have some cool stuff on them, i see alot of tuna/fireblades. i havent found an emag with a stock battery pack (although im sure there is one) but since alot of the new upgrades came out it has made the prices go up.

my e-mag is all stock for now

nathanjones008
12-20-2006, 12:33 PM
that is a good point., but is it like agd has nothing lose( its not like they are flyingoff the agd shelves) :rofl: . if nobody buys the emags, i think selling onme for 600-700 is better than not selling any period, if they sell one for 6---700 they got to be making some money. some money is better than no money. or have a emag sale for a few weeks and put them on sale for for 700! i would so buy one in a blink of a eye. i have had many friends who would buy a emag buy thr price turns them off, i think a sale will increase the profit if people but more.

its a win win situation :dance:

craltal
12-20-2006, 12:52 PM
that is a good point., but is it like agd has nothing lose( its not like they are flyingoff the agd shelves) :rofl: . if nobody buys the emags, i think selling onme for 600-700 is better than not selling any period, if they sell one for 6---700 they got to be making some money. some money is better than no money. or have a emag sale for a few weeks and put them on sale for for 700! i would so buy one in a blink of a eye. i have had many friends who would buy a emag buy thr price turns them off, i think a sale will increase the profit if people but more.

The ones they have for sale are leftover stock. they aren't making anymore. Either buck up and buy one or don't. They are one of the highest quality electros out there and they use very high quality parts.

If you are so concerned about the price, go look for a used one or buy something else.

nathanjones008
12-20-2006, 12:57 PM
let us to some projection. for example, i own a ule rt pro. i just pimped it out like crazy, i tuned it up and the whole 9 yards, it looks very good. i tell my friends how great of a gun it is and how i use it over cockers or shockers, now heis very excited he is ordering a rt from airgun.com on friday afternoon. also my brother is very interested about the emag, i have other friends who are semi interested about my mag. my point is if airgun puts their emags and if needed all there guns ofr sale for one weeek, lets say the emag for 700.00 the proclassic for 200.00 for mini mag for 210.00,. lets pretend within ine week they sale 120 markers (emag, mini, classic) and all those people who bought one go in the feild and play many others will ask about agd products and they will become sales men, telling there friends what a great product that they are using, and a little spark may happen and the sales of agd product will go up a good percent. i think the main thing is get the agd name in the paintball field(good investment.) and the product will sale itself through reliablilty and performance. these products are so much potential, i think most of the paintball world dont know about them or forget about them.

this theory works for me. :dance:

AGD rocks :headbang:

gibby
12-20-2006, 01:01 PM

It's a win win situation if AGD produced the Emag in high quantities and was in demand. However, since they're not and they're only selling what's left in stock, a drop in price doesn't make them money, it just reduces the amount it cost to make each one.

nathanjones008
12-20-2006, 01:09 PM
so you are saying they are selling all there guns and that is it? like no more in production? or just some gun willl go out of production? what i am saying if once all the emags, tac one, classic, rt, mini mags are gone they are gone for good?

craltal
12-20-2006, 01:09 PM
AGD is not agg and never will be. They are a niche market that will not grow enough, not with the majority of player playing speedball.

They made their business decision MANY years ago and have stuck by it. The money is not to be made by making a reliable product, it's actually counterproductive.

Edit:
Correct, they aren't making more. You can thank Smart Parts and their patent.

nathanjones008
12-20-2006, 01:17 PM
what did smartparts do?

Schwimmy
12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh dear, don't get it started with SP again.

craltal
12-20-2006, 02:01 PM
what did smartparts do?

*buries head in hands*

this is one can of worms that I don't want to open again in an open forum. So a search, you'll find hundreds, if not thousands of posts regarding that topic over the past couple of years.

Pneumagger
12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
why are emag so expensive??
Because they are over engineered, highquality sear trippers.

what did smartparts do?
SP owns electronics.

/thread

Lohman446
12-20-2006, 02:09 PM
The last E-mag I played with...

Well, it was very durable, even if it didn't fire when I wanted it to often....

gibby
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
so you are saying they are selling all there guns and that is it? like no more in production? or just some gun willl go out of production? what i am saying if once all the emags, tac one, classic, rt, mini mags are gone they are gone for good?

They stopped producing the emag. As for the other mags, ULE and TACs, those are still available. I think the other bodies are no longer made either. I'm not sure about how many other parts they still actively produce. I know Tom said once that if they stopped selling guns, they can stay in business just selling parts and giving support.

slateman
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
You can get a used Emag for around 400

don miguel
12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I am thinking about a emag, but the only turn off is tyhe price. i have noticed that emags have been on the market for about four or five years.the prices are still outrageous. on the airgun websight a emag cost one thousand dollars and tunamart it is 850.00 which is a bit better but for a market that has been on the market for such a long time i think that is a steep price. the minimag has decreased in price, so has the classics and the rts,, which is a great thing and these markets are more affordable. i think if agd lowers the price on the emag to like 600 -700 they will sell way more ,after all there is now better quality that agd. if anyone know where i can get a brand new emag that is cheaper that 1000-850 let me know also if there is anyone who know if or when i price drop will happend for the emags let me know, as soon as they drop in prices i am all over it,.

thanks in advanced

ps not to mention the flatline reg that is additional 175.00

all comment are welcome :clap: :dance:

new minimags and emags are rip offs IMHO. you could find way better used emags than new ones w/ custom parts and annos etc... BTW new minimags aren't great looking at all. Personally I hate the regulator-part-of-the-valve design w/o orings, compared to a ReTro. It's got no good stock parts besides the valve IMHO. It's way overpriced, It's rugged, it's ugly, but it get's the job done. But if your looking for a deal, go for the tac one. it's got xvalve, lvl10, j and j, tac bodykit, vert feed, cocker threads, intellie, dye grips, foregrip, basically everything you need from an automag. if you want an emag I reccomend buying a used one. I have had more success buying used stuff from honest seller like MANN, dj89, etc, than buying new stufff. better prices and deals. so buy used!

Lohman446
12-20-2006, 04:35 PM
. Personally I hate the regulator-part-of-the-valve design w/o orings, compared to a ReTro.!

What? The regulator is part of the design in both the classic mag valves and the RT valves. How do you hate it in one compared to the other?

txaggie08
12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
n the airgun websight a emag cost one thousand dollars and tunamart it is 850.00 which is a bit better but for a market that has been on the market for such a long time i think that is a steep price.

your in the "its better if the changed the milling and trigger and call it th new hot gun for 07 mindset."

the emag is just as fast, just as good of gun as the day it came out. The dont need new models everyyear to justify the price tag.

don miguel
12-20-2006, 04:50 PM
What? The regulator is part of the design in both the classic mag valves and the RT valves. How do you hate it in one compared to the other?
wait a minute how is the regulator nut sealed? loc tite right? (i used loc tite) :eek: oh crapizzle! i screwed up.

lasrsktr
12-20-2006, 04:56 PM
You have an RT pro.... Pick up a set of Emag lowers and an Emag on/off assembly and you can have an EMAG will all the parts you currently have for 400 or less depending on the deal you find.

CrimsonGhost
12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah, Whens is AGD going to go the route WDP did and take all the High end Brit made stuff and pawn it out to China? So they can charge $1300 for the same marker?

SARCASM MODE OFF*

:cheers:

Lupis Fidelis
12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone would mention Emag lowers... Looks like someone did. I had a tac-one and picked up lowers for $300. Combining the two gave me an Etac. You should look into it. Lowers come up on ebay from time to time.

paint magnet
12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
The mag is a classic design, made so it doesn't have to be re-made from year to year. Other companies keep shaving inches and metal off their guns; AGD has had one of the most compact designs since 1991. Other companies added regs, AGD guns had them to begin with.
Other companies make their guns faster while AGD guns were capable of 16+ cps in an era where other guns couldn't do half of that. A select few other companies have taken this approach, like Palmer's with their Typhoons or CCI with the Phantom. Some guns just don't need to be changed.

Part of the reason AGD guns haven't changed all that much is because Tom intended them to be backwards compatible so that users could keep their gun and upgrade it rather than shelling out for the latest design just to replace it with each new year (i.e. DM3, 4, 5, 6, 7...). The AutoMag was designed with the user in mind, moreso than making money. How effective is this? I can take Classic valve built in 1994, put on a set of Emag lowers and shoot the 15 bps limit just like every other gun on the market. Hell, Smart Parts claims to have invented electronics, but do you think a Shoebox Shocker can do 15 bps? Can I put a bolt from a 98 STO in a modern Black Magic? Can I clean an Angel with a hose, leave it aired up for 3 months, and still expect it to work?

It all depends on what you want out of your gun. Some have to have a featherweight gun-of-the minute. Some like to know they've invested in quality--because quality always shoots straight.

rkjunior303
12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
save yourself 500 and buy a viking (or a cyborg).

lighter
faster
more efficient
just as reliable.

Tao
12-21-2006, 01:47 AM

Well it is not that simple unfortunately. With Supply and demand there is an optimum point of what price to sell them at (where the supply and demand curves intersect). For example if the price is set at 1000 they may sell 100 and if the price is set at 700 they may sell 110, sure they sell more but they net less money. At one point this price may have been to high, but now people will pay more for a marker with looks rather than a tube. It doesn't have eyes either with is a huge disadvantage. They mostlikely are better off keeping their price and selling to this niche market of players looking for top quality not top agg.
This is just theory of cource it all depends on what the cost of an emag is, what the cost of an emag with double or tripple output than the current output and wether or not they will sell that many at the new lower cost price.
Airgun should at least be greatful that they are making a profit on them (well I assume that they are). Sometimes at the profit maximizing price a company will still be suffering a loss.

Tao
12-21-2006, 01:50 AM
AGD is not agg and never will be. They are a niche market that will not grow enough, not with the majority of player playing speedball.

They made their business decision MANY years ago and have stuck by it. The money is not to be made by making a reliable product, it's actually counterproductive.

Edit:
Correct, they aren't making more. You can thank Smart Parts and their patent.

Smart parts had nothing to do with it really, they did get the ball rolling for agd discontinuing their products, but any company is free to make an electronic marker (as far as I know this is the final result of the law suits).

Tao
12-21-2006, 01:59 AM
The mag is a classic design, made so it doesn't have to be re-made from year to year. Other companies keep shaving inches and metal off their guns; AGD has had one of the most compact designs since 1991. Other companies added regs, AGD guns had them to begin with.
Other companies make their guns faster while AGD guns were capable of 16+ cps in an era where other guns couldn't do half of that. A select few other companies have taken this approach, like Palmer's with their Typhoons or CCI with the Phantom. Some guns just don't need to be changed.

Part of the reason AGD guns haven't changed all that much is because Tom intended them to be backwards compatible so that users could keep their gun and upgrade it rather than shelling out for the latest design just to replace it with each new year (i.e. DM3, 4, 5, 6, 7...). The AutoMag was designed with the user in mind, moreso than making money. How effective is this? I can take Classic valve built in 1994, put on a set of Emag lowers and shoot the 15 bps limit just like every other gun on the market. Hell, Smart Parts claims to have invented electronics, but do you think a Shoebox Shocker can do 15 bps? Can I put a bolt from a 98 STO in a modern Black Magic? Can I clean an Angel with a hose, leave it aired up for 3 months, and still expect it to work?

It all depends on what you want out of your gun. Some have to have a featherweight gun-of-the minute. Some like to know they've invested in quality--because quality always shoots straight.

Great post!!
If you would allow me to add one point: everywhere companies are designing products designed to break or be replaced quickly to make more money. Since the items are cheap cost goes down and hey! turnover doubles too! Unfortunately consumers are falling for it big time. Up here in Canada snow shovels are a big one: They used to be solid steel and last for years! (rust a bit but who cares), now they are made of plastic and at -15deg or more they break easily. Some people go through half a dozen a year.
Basically people are fooled by looks, they like to be dazzled at purchase than amazed throughout years of use.

PumpMag
12-21-2006, 02:07 AM
Buying A NEW Emag cheap is not very realistic. Buying a lightly Used
Emag is a more viable option at the price your seeking.

Think of an Emag as if it were a Porsche.......

A brand NEW Porsche is very expensive.
An older Porsche would cost less but still highly desirable, very collectible and if taken well care of will still fetch high prices even though they are old.

Emags are like Porsches........ FAST, Beautiful, and Expensive! ;)

turbo chicken
12-21-2006, 07:42 AM
First of all to stay on topic ... because the quality is the best and they probably are barely making money as it is with the current price!!!

and P.S.

I can take Classic valve built in 1994, put on a set of Emag lowers and shoot the 15 bps limit just like every other gun on the market.

Really ... I thought my only option was to get an retro/valve to go with lowers .... the pgp may not be going to plamers and the pump kit may just be put on hold ... and even the CF pneu frame.

and E-minimag ... that would be friggin awesome ... but would the lowers really just bolt up. I thought I would need a different rail.

.... :ninja: ... scans the B/S/T's....

Warwitch
12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=nathanjones008]after all there is now better quality that agd.[QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nathanjones008]But i do not want to buy them becasue they are not as high as quality as agd.[QUOTE]

Are you listening to yourself?? :confused:

Lohman446
12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
I thought the classic got shootdown around 13BPS

turbo chicken
12-21-2006, 08:58 AM

That's still plenty fast for me ... i'm not a hoser(and by that I mean paint slinger) by any means... but I think i could win MOTM witha e-minimag ...right after that the lowers would be sold to someone who would actually use them.

noone answered my question if they would fir the minimag body ... guess i got to use the search.

Pneumagger
12-21-2006, 09:00 AM
it does. I tested your pneumag I built with a classic. You can easily outshoot the valve with the pneumatics.

There's quite a few modifications that can be done to give a few more BPS though as ~e pointed out.

paint magnet
12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I run a Pro-Line Auto Response frame on my gun with a classic valve and have no problems at around 12-13 bps and it seems like it could go faster if I could pull it faster. If you were having problems with shootdown, increasing the input pressure would probably fix it.

You can put a Classic valve on an Emag and it will work fine (assuming you swap out the on/off pins), you just won't get the reactive trigger like the RT.

craltal
12-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Smart parts had nothing to do with it really, they did get the ball rolling for agd discontinuing their products, but any company is free to make an electronic marker (as far as I know this is the final result of the law suits).

I beg to differ. By "getting the ball rolling" ie, threatening to sue anybody who infringed on their patent, SP help many companies to decide that the hassle of a lawsuit wasn't worth their limited resources. AGD and AKA opted to stop making their respective guns due to this.

Oh, anyone can make an electronic gun as long as they pay royalties to use the patented technology

craltal
12-21-2006, 11:22 AM

I beg to differ. By "getting the ball rolling" ie, threatening to sue anybody who infringed on their patent, SP help many companies to decide that the hassle of a lawsuit wasn't worth their limited resources. AGD and AKA opted to stop making their respective guns due to this.

Oh, anyone can make an electronic gun as long as they pay royalties to use the patented technology

Lenny
12-21-2006, 02:10 PM
what did smartparts do?
They own the idea of an electro operated gun. Stolen from PneuVentures.

They also own the idea of a paintball gun. This just kinda effects everyone.

And the number of porting holes on a barrel cannot be greater than or equal to the area of the OD at the end of the barrel. Thus the end of BOA.

They're just all around douche bags.
Smart Parts is like the Wal-Mart of the paintball world. Cheap, decent, and evil.

wait a minute how is the regulator nut sealed? loc tite right? (i used loc tite) :eek: oh crapizzle! i screwed up.
You are stupid, aren't you? I pray you didn't use the red stuff. Did you?

QFT!!!

Lohman446
12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
They own the idea of an electro operated gun. Stolen from PneuVentures.

So, when you go to the store and leave with something you stole it? They did purchase PneuVentures and the intellectual property (IE PATENT) they owned. Now granted, they did some fancy stepping with that patent... but

Pneumagger
12-21-2006, 02:18 PM

It all depends on what you want out of your gun. Some have to have a featherweight gun-of-the minute. Some like to know they've invested in quality--because quality always
:hail: :cheers:

Lenny
12-21-2006, 02:19 PM
So, when you go to the store and leave with something you stole it? They did purchase PneuVentures and the intellectual property (IE PATENT) they owned. Now granted, they did some fancy stepping with that patent... but
They forced PVI into selling because they didn't agree about some design issues. Ultimately, though, SP did forced them to close down and sell the business... and the patents.

So, maybe they didn't steal as much as the con'd...

don miguel
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
You are stupid, aren't you? I pray you didn't use the red stuff. Did you?

QFT!!!

mmmmm red stuff, yup i poured that all over the valve. //jk// I fixed the problem NM. I use blue and only blue!

yet I do want to make a loctite and gun lube line called "aggsauce" though.

Pneumagger
12-21-2006, 02:58 PM
mmmmm red stuff, yup i poured that all over the valve. //jk// I fixed the problem NM. I use blue and only blue!

yet I do want to make a loctite and gun lube line called "aggsauce" though.

There's no way your that [explictative] dumb.
I call shens.
Haha, you had your laugh.
Now /life.

//that post was so stupid I actually got angered.