PDA

View Full Version : Chrono help

The_Don_83
12-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Please explain how to Chrono a X-valve.. I read AGDs description

I went to a field today with my new X-valve automag and tried to get it chronod. It was the handheld one and he needed to check it everytime after every shot. He wouldn’t leave it up there so I couldn’t chrono it how AGD says to do it.…. So it was jumping a lot… (315 then 295 then 301 then 287 then 313 then 285)

He told me to turn it down so I did a little bit. Then shot
(311 then 283 then 309 then 313 then 280)

He told me to turn it down a bunch and I tried to tell him to hold the chorno under my gun and leave it there, but he wouldn’t listen.

Is it something I was doing or what? How do I chrono it right?

kobeastly
12-24-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but the RT, emag and xvalves have to be chronoed different from any other gun out there. So long as you are running a decent reg on your air tank then you should notice a bit of shoot up during rapid fire. This because the RT regulator charges fast enough that the air running through the valve will heat up from friction and you get a pressure spike. pressure * volume / temp <== simplified Ideal gas law.

On the other hand, if you are shooting slow then the air has a chance to cool down a bit and you get a regular velocity.

Because of the rapid fire shoot up, you need to simulate rapid fire at the chrono. Fire a shot over it and hold the trigger. Adjust the reg if needed then release the trigger and quickly shoot again holding the trigger when you pull it. Repeat as many times as necessary

The_Don_83
12-24-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but the RT, emag and xvalves have to be chronoed different from any other gun out there. So long as you are running a decent reg on your air tank then you should notice a bit of shoot up during rapid fire. This because the RT regulator charges fast enough that the air running through the valve will heat up from friction and you get a pressure spike. pressure * volume / temp <== simplified Ideal gas law.

On the other hand, if you are shooting slow then the air has a chance to cool down a bit and you get a regular velocity.

Because of the rapid fire shoot up, you need to simulate rapid fire at the chrono. Fire a shot over it and hold the trigger. Adjust the reg if needed then release the trigger and quickly shoot again holding the trigger when you pull it. Repeat as many times as necessary

I did this but since he was using the yellow handheld chrono he kept taking it away from my gun after each shot. Will it still work?

deathstalker
12-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Yes. All you need to remember is to keep holding in the trigger after every shot. You want to release-pull-hold as quickly as you can. There's no harm letting the ref check and reset the chrono with each shot, as long as you are holding in that trigger.

SR_matt
12-24-2006, 09:57 AM
the ref probably was not holding the chrono correctly to the gun. the hand helds should not touch the barrel and while they are +/- 2 fps that is if the marker and the handheld are kept perfectly still so any movement the reading is off.

if the ref is not using the chrono correctly best bet would be to go find a different chrono (preferably the free standing ones) and adjust your gun to that. also you might want to talk to the field owner.

if the only chrono a field uses for all its checks is just a handheld then it might not be the best field IMHO (espicaly since the amount those chronos can be off is substantal)

-matt

The_Don_83
12-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys... :cheers:

So the reason why it was jumping so much was since he was holding it touching my barrel.

Or was the reason I must not have been holding the trigger causing the jump?

Or both?

SR_matt
12-24-2006, 02:25 PM
mostly its an issue on the side of the chrono/ref
maybe a little on the gun
-matt

kobeastly
12-24-2006, 09:00 PM
could be any number of things that can cause big swings in velocity. Could be a dying reg seat, bad battery in the chrony, consistancy of the paint (shell and/or fill), location he had it touching the barrel could be changing. Refs can make mistakes and/or do things incorrectly, this is why they are reffing paintball and not sitting at home trading on the stock market.

The_Don_83
12-25-2006, 11:13 AM
could be any number of things that can cause big swings in velocity. Could be a dying reg seat, bad battery in the chrony, consistancy of the paint (shell and/or fill), location he had it touching the barrel could be changing. Refs can make mistakes and/or do things incorrectly, this is why they are reffing paintball and not sitting at home trading on the stock market.

Wow thats a lot :wow:

I will take it step by step I guess. I can only fix what I do and not really what the ref does if he don't listen. :cuss: