PDA

View Full Version : max voltage to warp motor

kobeastly
12-24-2006, 12:46 AM
I am working on a bit of an odd project that will include a warp feed. I won't be using the warp's board so I don't need to know anything about the specs of the board but I do need some info on the motor.

kobeastly
12-30-2006, 11:14 PM
no body know any specs of the motor? Max voltage and current would be what I need to know the most. Currently I a planning on 18V and using PWM to controll the speed but I don't know if the motor can take it and I don't want ot kill it.

FiXeL
12-31-2006, 12:00 AM
12volts max. The original design was for 6 volts, and AGD has ok-ed the 12volt mod with a transistor regulating the voltage from two 9 volt batteries.

Exceeding it might be possible for a very short time, but my guess is you will be either frying the board, or burning the collector of the motor to an extent you will have to replace it frequently.

Anything above 12 volts seems a bit useless... you get 20bps or something like that.. Why more? I imagine it would make a nice paint blender at 18 volts tho.. :D

kobeastly
12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I think I have finally decided to wrecklessly proceed anyway. New motor is only $11 so I am feeling a bit dangerous.

The stock board is gone already and the motor will be getting controlled by a basic stamp that will also be running a hopper to it. I was hoping for 18V so I wouldn't have to run another regulator on it. The 18 V is a bit much for both the egg and the warp motors and could be rough on paint so I will be trying PWM to try and get them to be a bit easier on paint but still have the option to deal with even higher feed rates.

For those interested PWM would be pulse width modulation. It allows you to controll the speed of a DC motor with out changing voltage. By turning the power on and off at the right frequency and changing the amount of on vs. off time you can change the speed of the motor.

I'll see how it goes and if all is well or even if it fails and I get a good mess to clean up I'll try and post some more info and pics later.

Tunaman
01-01-2007, 08:03 AM
The motor can handle 30 volts....

Chronobreak
01-01-2007, 10:06 AM

tuna, thanks that helped me out alot too

do you happen to know where or what size cog belt is needed?

Rudz
01-01-2007, 04:23 PM

yeah think i saw this posted in the warp thread..the boards a diff question, but the motor itself can take alot of volts..but id love to hear that motor scream with 30 volts running into it..

FA22RaptorF22
01-01-2007, 04:37 PM
what is the peak voltage the board can take?

Chronobreak
01-01-2007, 05:35 PM

FA22RaptorF22
01-01-2007, 05:59 PM
hmm ya i know 12.... but there is a peak

ex: 13.2 volts...something like that...