PDA

View Full Version : "Amber" Vision board (Imp) ? and other ?'s

punkncat
12-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I have an OLD amber vision board Impulse that I am trying to get right.

Its has "pots" that control the eye sensitivity and dwell. I know which does which and how to adjust eye sensitivity, but which way turns dwell up and down on the rear pot?
I cannot seem to get a change in velocity by adjusting it. I have TERRIBLE air consumption. I understand that if you turn too hard on the pot it actually breaks and can cause this problem.
If I can get this board to work correctly I am going to use it so as to keep the project cheap.

Also I am noting that the 32* Imp that this came with has no valve spring in the "dump chamber". The valve has resistance and springs back against the hammer, but with no spring in front. I notice that the cup seal is different from the stock one.
:confused:

CoolHand
12-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I have an OLD amber vision board Impulse that I am trying to get right.

Its has "pots" that control the eye sensitivity and dwell. I know which does which and how to adjust eye sensitivity, but which way turns dwell up and down on the rear pot?
I cannot seem to get a change in velocity by adjusting it. I have TERRIBLE air consumption. I understand that if you turn too hard on the pot it actually breaks and can cause this problem.
If I can get this board to work correctly I am going to use it so as to keep the project cheap.

Also I am noting that the 32* Imp that this came with has no valve spring in the "dump chamber". The valve has resistance and springs back against the hammer, but with no spring in front. I notice that the cup seal is different from the stock one.
:confused:

Turn the pot to the counterclockwise to decrease the dwell, clockwise to increase it. It has stops at both ends of the travel, you'd have to be a real ham fisted moron not to feel them when you turn it. Just go easy.

The valve you have is either:

1) An Evil POS which will give you nothing but grief. IIRC they had blue anodized valve bodies and black delrin valve stems that were very pointy on the dump chamber side.

2) A New Designz valve. They have a clear anodized valve guide with a black delrin valve stem that looks rather small compared to a stock stem.

If you have the Evil part, can it and find a stock one, it's likely the cause of your ills.

If you have an NDZ part, then your dwell is too high. Set the reg at 150 psi and turn the dwell all the way down. Bump it up in tiny increments (like 1/50th of a turn at a time) until you get the velocity you need. You should never need a pressure over 180 psi, or under 100 psi.

Also, unless you have a check valve or an LPR, it's going to use a huge amount of air when you dry fire because of bolt stick. Twas just the way the Imp was. With a ball it's not a big deal, but when dry firing it sucks the air down hard.

:cheers:

punkncat
12-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Turn the pot to the counterclockwise to decrease the dwell, clockwise to increase it. It has stops at both ends of the travel, you'd have to be a real ham fisted moron not to feel them when you turn it. Just go easy.

The valve you have is either:

1) An Evil POS which will give you nothing but grief. IIRC they had blue anodized valve bodies and black delrin valve stems that were very pointy on the dump chamber side.

2) A New Designz valve. They have a clear anodized valve guide with a black delrin valve stem that looks rather small compared to a stock stem.

If you have the Evil part, can it and find a stock one, it's likely the cause of your ills.

If you have an NDZ part, then your dwell is too high. Set the reg at 150 psi and turn the dwell all the way down. Bump it up in tiny increments (like 1/50th of a turn at a time) until you get the velocity you need. You should never need a pressure over 180 psi, or under 100 psi.

Also, unless you have a check valve or an LPR, it's going to use a huge amount of air when you dry fire because of bolt stick. Twas just the way the Imp was. With a ball it's not a big deal, but when dry firing it sucks the air down hard.

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

It appears that I have the NDZ valve as it is clear and has a very small derin stem with a pointy end towards the dump chamber.

I have owned Imps before and understand the "no ball" issue. The trouble I am having is that the dwell doesn't seem to affect velocity from one extreme of adjustment to the other. Although I must say the consistancy is excellent, I am using about 1000PSI for every hopper or so. I remember both of my others doing much better than this. I have swapped the board to a newer Imp I have available and the air problem follows the board.

CoolHand
12-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Ryan.

It appears that I have the NDZ valve as it is clear and has a very small derin stem with a pointy end towards the dump chamber.

I have owned Imps before and understand the "no ball" issue. The trouble I am having is that the dwell doesn't seem to affect velocity from one extreme of adjustment to the other. Although I must say the consistancy is excellent, I am using about 1000PSI for every hopper or so. I remember both of my others doing much better than this. I have swapped the board to a newer Imp I have available and the air problem follows the board.

Sounds like some ham fisted moron before you broke the dwell pot at WOT.

You can replace it if you've got a steady hand and can weasel the part number out of YDNA.

Otherwise, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a cricket vision board to replace it with.

If I can find one laying around here, it's yours for the price of shipping. Don't count on me having one though, I purged a great deal of Imp parts while they were still popular.

punkncat
12-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Sounds like some ham fisted moron before you broke the dwell pot at WOT.

You can replace it if you've got a steady hand and can weasel the part number out of YDNA.

Otherwise, I'd keep my eyes peeled for a cricket vision board to replace it with.

If I can find one laying around here, it's yours for the price of shipping. Don't count on me having one though, I purged a great deal of Imp parts while they were still popular.

There is an interesting story behind my aquisition of this Imp(a green 32*). It was brought into the shop well over two years ago by a guy for repair. No one remembers who he was, its never been asked for or about, and no one there at the shop really took the time to look into it and see what was wrong. Not long after it came in a stock red Imp was dropped off and "forgotten". Not so much forgotten as that the owner doesn't care about it and hasn't come to get it.

Last xmas I came up with the idea that if both of them were still there this year I would take them (with the full knowledge of the store owner), mix the parts to make a working christmas marker, wear a Santa hat and shoot some kiddies. Which I have done and will do again this saturday. I was actually able to get both markers operating with the mixed parts.

Well since no one has claimed or offered to care for the green one I have decided to confiscate it and put it to use until such time as its missed or asked about. I have no idea what was done to it, or what was originally "wrong" with it. I will check again at the field this weekend to see if I can see a difference.

If you happen to come across a board I would be happy to have it. Even though I own "better" markers I really enjoy using the old Impy, and it would be nice to get more shots.....