PDA

View Full Version : data recovery

thecavemankevin
12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Just curious who has experience with any good data recovery utilities or tactics (typically from a corrupt/dead HDD).

I've been able to put a non spinning HDD into the freezer for about twenty minutes and recover bits and pieces here and there. But primarily i'm looking to see if anyone knows of a good utility that will scan a corrupted HDD that's not been completely written over for any recoverable data.

Also, someone once told me they knew of a utility that could essentually mark off a bad sector or group of bad sectors from use, but the rest of the drive could still be used. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

rkjunior303
12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
DOS CHKDSK used to have a command built into it that would mark sectors bad so next time it would skip over them.

d4m4don3
12-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Well if the bios can still recognize the drive, you can use ontrack's Easy Recovery Professional edition and retreive bits and pieces of your data.

thecavemankevin
12-28-2006, 04:30 PM
DOS CHKDSK used to have a command built into it that would mark sectors bad so next time it would skip over them.

used chkdsk tons and it certainly has worked in the past. but not this time. In the end, i really dont care about this data, its not even my drive. I'm just seeing what i can in fact accomplish. But i'm not familiar with the specific cmd line you are talking about being able to mark off sectors....???

Easy recovery software may work, but i think i'll skip paying $1500 just for fun. Thanx anyways.

rkjunior303
12-28-2006, 04:33 PM
used chkdsk tons and it certainly has worked in the past. but not this time. In the end, i really dont care about this data, its not even my drive. I'm just seeing what i can in fact accomplish. But i'm not familiar with the specific cmd line you are talking about being able to mark off sectors....???

Easy recovery software may work, but i think i'll skip paying $1500 just for fun. Thanx anyways.

If you do chkdsk /? it will give you the syntax.

*edit* try a "chkdsk /F"

thecavemankevin
12-29-2006, 02:26 PM
If you do chkdsk /? it will give you the syntax.

*edit* try a "chkdsk /F"

i took another look at it and it just says that it fixes drive errors, but nothing about marking them out of use, nor does anything else in the chkdsk family.

I have an external drive that has suffered some form of critical error and my system will recognize the drive is there but when you click on it or try and access the properties is errors out and says it is unable to open the drive.

well, i tried a free utility and it was able to scan the drive and show some of a recognizable structure and more of just numbered folders. it also showed me misc docs and msg's that are on the drive but when i try and recover said data nothing happens :confused:

so a coworker hooked me up with get data back (http://www.runtime.org/downloads.htm) so i am trying that now. I'll let yall know how it goes.

mark-d-error
02-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Just curious who has experience with any good data recovery utilities or tactics (typically from a corrupt/dead HDD).

I've been able to put a non spinning HDD into the freezer for about twenty minutes and recover bits and pieces here and there. But primarily i'm looking to see if anyone knows of a good utility that will scan a corrupted HDD that's not been completely written over for any recoverable data.

Also, someone once told me they knew of a utility that could essentually mark off a bad sector or group of bad sectors from use, but the rest of the drive could still be used. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

There is an utility which recovers data from hard drive which has some bad sectors.
Recovery is done in two steps first clone of a hard disk is made (that is, it can paste the contents of a potentially fatal disk onto a healthy disk). Clone can be made using the software Stellar Smart. After the clone is made software called Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS data recovery software (http://www.stellarinfo.com) is used to recover the lost data from dead or corrupted hard drive.

dave p
02-14-2007, 07:49 AM
spinrite
www.grc.com

robnix
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
spinrite
www.grc.com

Spinrite may get the drive online again, if it does then acronis true recovery is affordable data recovery software you can use. If not, go to ebay and buy a drive with the exact same serial number as the down one. Try swapping the circuit board out if you do.

Google 'hard drive freezer trick', it's worked for me in the past.

thecavemankevin
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Spinrite may get the drive online again, if it does then acronis true recovery is affordable data recovery software you can use. If not, go to ebay and buy a drive with the exact same serial number as the down one. Try swapping the circuit board out if you do.

Google 'hard drive freezer trick', it's worked for me in the past.

yeah, i've done the hdd freezer trick in the past and since i posted this my boss set me up with a few apps from Runtime called get data back and they worked for what i needed.

robnix
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
yeah, i've done the hdd freezer trick in the past and since i posted this my boss set me up with a few apps from Runtime called get data back and they worked for what i needed.

Excellent.