PDA

View Full Version : They all think barrel diameter has something to do with accuracy...

hitech
12-31-2001, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by AGD.
"They all think barrel diameter has something to do with accuracy so that is one piece."

That was my understanding. However, I don't have any test data to prove it one way or another. Doesn't "matching" the paint diameter to the barrel diameter increase accuracy? I am sure you have performed many tests on the subject. What does matter? I really want to know as I am planning on purchasing a new barrel soon.

Thanks in advance.

rhetor22
12-31-2001, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure if this is correct or not...

The bigger the ball the greater the mass, the further it will fly. The bigger the ball the greater the surface area, more room for drag and possibly less accurate.
Smaller ball has less mass, less distance. Maybe better accuracey cuz there's less surface area. I dunno.

This is assuming you have matching paint to the barrel size.

shartley
12-31-2001, 03:47 PM
I believe that was taken out of context.....

Accuracy has to do with much more than JUST the barrel diameter. I suggest doing another search on the subject.. I know it has all been covered before. And on a few separate occasions.

Puckz
12-31-2001, 04:01 PM
Matching the bore to the ball keeps the amount of air pushing each ball more consistent, without air escaping around the edges or the ball dragging much on the barrel. Improved consistency = improved accuracy.

hitech
12-31-2001, 07:00 PM
I think of "accuracy" as left to right consistency. Top to bottom "accuracy" would seem to me to be more of a velocity consistency issue. Also, there is generally have less width exposed than height, making left to right "accuracy" more important. Also, I reread all the tech tips and the only thing Tom said about a too tight fit is that it increased drag (friction). It would seem to me that erring on the side of too tight would be more accurate. My stroker is very accurate (and smaller bore than my automag barrel). My automag with paint that was to small for the barrel (fell through the barrel easily and double feed even with a high nubbin) was much less accurate. Lots of "hookers". I was thinking of getting one of the nickel plated (non vented) brass barrels from palmer since my stroker shoots well. Wadda you think?

Failure
01-01-2002, 12:28 AM
I think you should get a freak and cover your tracks for whatever paint you decide to use.

FeelTheRT
01-01-2002, 10:15 AM
u will get max range/efficancy/accuracy if ur paint is well matched with the ID of the barrel.

kutter
01-01-2002, 12:18 PM
I have been thinking about this for the last few days since someone told me I should get a freak system for my Micro.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the freak insert is only 4 inches right? Which means that your effective barrel length for gas efficiency is only 4 inches.

Now once the ball clears the insert, the barrel is too big, causing the ball to move about in the barrel. This is the exact scenario that is described in the tech tips and from this we know that on a mag the most efficient barrel length is 8-10"(thanx for all the R&D by the way). But this barrel would only seem to be 4"? So is an insert barrel system really the 'best' way to go? It would not seem to be nearly as efficient and stable shot to shot, not to mention accurate since the ball will bounce down the barrel and none of those situations can increase accuracy.

I am by no means well versed in this topic, these are just a few of the things that I thought about after readig Tom's tech tips and then doing some very minor research on insert barrel systems. It would seem to me that buying 3 or 4 good quality barrels with different ID's would be a much better choice.

ronron2112
01-01-2002, 01:35 PM
The Freak is amazing for the short barrel lengths. The balls fly incredibly straight. Also, the freak actually helped my efficancy, before the freak i got about 700 shots from my 68ci, and after i got about 750.
it would seem to me that this topic is very contraversial, so there will me many reports about it.

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
01-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Oh WOW 50 shots ;) sorry had to do it. But anyway...

I dunno whats the big fuss..here are my barrels...(1 more on the way)

Lapco SS Autospirit 11.5"(.686)
Lapco Aluminum Bigshot 11.5"(.689)

and next time i go to my local shop im going to be picking up...A Custom Dye 2-Piece SS in .691 bore 12" (like a boomer but all SS)

I have no problem matching paint because I know just about every paints bore size by heart not to mention i have a nicely updated Paint Bore match chart that i carry around too if i ever dont know what the paint size is. Since my feild is BYOP...and sometimes at tourneyz BYOP I only use 1 kind of paint. And If it is feild paint only since i work there i know of all the paints they give out. So in my case not using a freak is fine. And maybe when i go to bigger tourneys then maybe a barrel kit will help me since i wont know what paint im going to be dealing with. But the bore size barrels i have are fine and im always covered with the paint i come across.

ronron2112
01-01-2002, 07:02 PM
but 50 shots can me the difference between going ome with 1000 bucks or going home broke :)

hitech
01-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know how/if a barrel to paint match that is too tight will hurt accuracy? I am only talking accuracy, not efficiency.

PsychoMag
01-03-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by rhetor22
I'm not sure if this is correct or not...

The bigger the ball the greater the mass, the further it will fly. The bigger the ball the greater the surface area, more room for drag and possibly less accurate.
Smaller ball has less mass, less distance. Maybe better accuracey cuz there's less surface area. I dunno.

This is assuming you have matching paint to the barrel size. That is true to a point, therefore Rp and diablo made dense small bore paints...one of the pioneers of this philosophy is Proball. Rp has Marballizers with a thick fill, also Diablo Hellfire has a puddinglike fill. Heavier the ball, the less likely it is to "drift", yet the smaller bore allows less resistance

SGT FURY
01-03-2002, 03:43 PM
just buy a freak..you can shoot any paint...period
fyi i havent adjusted my velocity in months.mspa bowling green to be exact. all i change is my freak inserts the velocity stays the same