PDA

View Full Version : what happened to the mods?

mobsterboy
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Mods, check in here. How many of you are still active? I say we go for new mods as well. Tom, you might have a tight leash as to who you allow to mod, but if you only have two or three active mods on a weekly basis, how are you supposed to keep AO a place that people want to come to?

punkncat
12-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Lol, talk about how the times change...I can remember not too long ago how people were fighting for the mods to lax off a bit.....

SpitFire1299
12-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Hahaha.. yeah. I remmember that poll.

REDRT
01-01-2007, 12:15 AM
New AGD CEO.

Tunaman
01-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I am doing the best I can. I dunno what happened to the other guys. Lost interest maybe?

punkncat
01-01-2007, 09:18 AM
I see Army posting from time to time....I am guessing he is still a mod. Haven't seen Mark in a minute.

Holiday break?

mobsterboy
01-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I am doing the best I can. I dunno what happened to the other guys. Lost interest maybe?

I never said you werent doing a great job Tuna, Im just thinking if Tom and the mod crew wants to keep AO a place where people want to come, maybe its time to share some of the load and recruit some new mods... All I have to say, is that 2 active mods, and an occasional former owner/admin isnt enough to browse through the 1000 some posts we have everyday.

I nominate Fixel, because of his oh so thorough spam sweep steps he laid out from GT's "Can I get an IP Ban on..." thread. I can find it if necessary. All I know is that with those methods in place, we wouldnt have spam, and thats the only thing im really caring about right now. Tuna, I dont know how you got yourself to be a mod, but isnt custom mag building a little time consuming? Perhaps its not quite your calling anymore. Either way, Thanks Tuna, you have no idea how unruly AO would be without mods, especially you. Modding, as I have seen, is a thankless job, but here is one persons appreciation, thank you.

REDRT
01-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Thats all you can do, thanks.

That wouldn't suprise me any. What ever really changes? I does get boring.

REDRT
01-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Being this is a rule.
• Do not ask to be a moderator

I figure The mods originally were chosen and asked by some one higher up on the food chain. I would venture to say voting amounst us common folk would be a waste of time. Not that there is much to moderate anyway imo. The same topics are rehashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

wimag
01-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Being this is a rule.
• Do not ask to be a moderator

I figure The mods originally were chosen and asked by some one higher up on the food chain. I would venture to say voting amounst us common folk would be a waste of time. Not that there is much to moderate anyway imo. The same topics are rehashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I nominate you

FiXeL
01-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I nominate Fixel, because of his oh so thorough spam sweep steps he laid out from GT's "Can I get an IP Ban on..." thread. I can find it if necessary. All I know is that with those methods in place, we wouldnt have spam, and thats the only thing im really caring about right now.

I'm honored to be nominated, but i'm not that long a member of AO. Also the method i use to keep www.paintballforum.nl clean requires me to access the adminCP, something you do not just give anybody rights to since they will have full controll of the forum. Given to the wrong person they could alter/damage the forum, delete/ban accounts at their own discretion, or worse. I was a mod for that forum for a while and they gave me the adminCP rights to clean out the forum of all the spambots. Since the forum is owned by a paintball shop, the other mods (mostly employees) don't have the time to do so. I am not the only non-employee that moderates there, we also have a few others that help out with newsposting and event planning that also have moderator rights. (don't know to what level, never checked lol) :)

I can understand that the current moderators don't always have the time to moderate the forums, since everybody has other things to do aswell. I'm alot online because i have time to do so. I have a full time job but no wife/GF of kids, so i have time to spare. (for now)

I would like to help out, but i am not familiar with the forum sofware and its possibilities and im relatively new to the forum so i don't deserve to be a mod.

behemoth
01-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Bring back Load, Phil, Black, Cue, and the lot.

(we can dream, right?)

PsychoBaller
01-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Banninated !! That's what happened. JK JK JK

Hahaha... Tuna hit me up man... Scenario on the 21st at Topgun. You gots to be there.

:cheers:

-baller

iambored
01-01-2007, 04:46 PM
The mods have been there when it was necissary, but even though its the holdays they still show little signs of activity.
(and whats with you people and the banstick jokes?)
mods aren't that harsh on the bans.

AGD
01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
No wonder I have to keep deleting "buy ipods here" threads!

AGD

mobsterboy
01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
oh but they were. believe me. As much as i like being an asshat, if there are so many of us asshats on the forum that its causing good mature AO'ers to lose interest, even the mods, then we need some banstick and fast

iambored
01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
well what could be done? really, none of the trouble makers have foolishly crossed the line into the ban zone.
(Has anyone noticed that the ban list doesn't get updated?)

behemoth
01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
well what could be done? really, none of the trouble makers have foolishly crossed the line into the ban zone.

Mods have more important things to do.

like show up every once in a while and ban some people for filter activation...

mobsterboy
01-01-2007, 05:59 PM

who woudl update it?
we're 6 to 8 mods short

iambored
01-01-2007, 06:04 PM
good point but that doesn't constitute passing the torch. However I'd say a few individuals are making the whole ao look bad. and the lack of mods being in the mix...well doesn't help much

EDIT: I mean, lol, if we get new mods dm and triangle might start the burrito vs. geometric shape war. (Just an example) but it could get nasty

Lohman446
01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
New mods is not as simple as it seems. Although it sounds like a great idea where are you going to find someone who does not make any clique feel targeted, who will not us there authority in a way that makes people consider it abusive, is well known enough to be accepted easily by the members, and is on enough to make a difference?

wimag
01-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I remember a day that if I told a man to shut the **** up, ban stick.

thats cause you are a punk *** kid and noone liked you.

iambored
01-01-2007, 06:27 PM
thats cause you are a punk *** kid and noone liked you.
All most like dm? I mean you'd all most think he posted his crazy posts here as a joke, he has on stockclass paintball that he's the ao reject. It's like he just likes bothering people. I know this isn't the place for this but speaking of people no one likes dm is up there.

etjoyride
01-01-2007, 06:40 PM
You ;)

New mods is not as simple as it seems. Although it sounds like a great idea where are you going to find someone who does not make any clique feel targeted, who will not us there authority in a way that makes people consider it abusive, is well known enough to be accepted easily by the members, and is on enough to make a difference?

mobsterboy
01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
You ;)

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahha hahahahahaha

:rofl:

wimag
01-01-2007, 06:52 PM
All most like dm? I mean you'd all most think he posted his crazy posts here as a joke, he has on stockclass paintball that he's the ao reject. It's like he just likes bothering people. I know this isn't the place for this but speaking of people no one likes dm is up there.

squid is before your join date. that account is a new one due to his perm ban. You wouldnt get it.

GT
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I moded not one but two forums about 4 years ago; one was a Honda forum the other a general car forum. The Honda forum I came in as one of the founding mods and it was great. Exceptations were high from the git go and the forum had awsome posts and a great group of guys. We actually got togther for races/working on members cars, kinda like AO used to be.

The other forum was already establashed and transfering my experience from one forum to another was night and day. I expected the same level posts on the more established forum and I rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. There was a monster pissing contest bewteen Our board and the retards over at one of the DSM boards; massive bannage and post deletions, it was not fun at all.

Thoughts on AO
Although AO would be a major PITA to mod, I think a few new moderators are needed to slash and burn some of the moronic posts and memebers around here. I would drastically trim membership, althougth this would be like adding bleach to a nasty green pool, I think a lot of the good guys and new guys with great posts would flock to AO.

I would love to help start a new forum, something fresh that hasn't been done before, but there is no way I would want something like AO. Trust me you don't want to be a mod of a forum that is the size of AO. It's a thankless job and if you have to ban folks, last resort, you end up pissing other memebers off, on the flip side if you don't ban some people then the whole forum suffers, i.e. AO.

Miscue
01-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm still around... but more of a lurker, rather than a participant. AO is not the same... and that about sums it up for why.

BlackVCG and I have also went from student to... real world... and that plays a role too.

irc.automags.org being down... also doesn't help any. That was the backbone to the social network. Gone. Poof.

It was also our best tool for moderating... it's how we really stayed on top of stuff... one of us could easily be found in the chat room and stuff got done immediately.

Dubstar112
01-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm still around... but more of a lurker, rather than a participant. AO is not the same... and that about sums it up for why.

BlackVCG and I have also went from student to... real world... and that plays a role too.

irc.automags.org being down... also doesn't help any. That was the backbone to the social network. Gone. Poof.

It was also our best tool for moderating... it's how we really stayed on top of stuff... one of us could easily be found in the chat room and stuff got done immediately.

Yeap, I remember those days.

thecavemankevin
01-02-2007, 10:21 AM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6991/holdingdmformodyq3.jpg

nuff said

Pneumagger
01-02-2007, 10:52 AM
I think AO is mature enough not to need more moderators. Our mods are doing fine on the policing of posts.

However, there is just not enough mod coverage to manage the spammage as of late. In the time I left for work today, to the time I got here - I found 10+ new spams.

I'm not suggesting appointing new moderators... but maybe just a deputy moderator or something. Perhaps one or two people who will be on often and have limited powers to just recieve the spam reports and delete the threads. Then pass on the IP and name to a real mod for bannage. It doesn't even have to be a public appointment.

It's real easy to tell if a new junior mod is deleting anything other than spam posts - and it would make the forums alot cleaner.

/What do you at work when you don't want to do a mundane task... get/hire an intern to do it. Why can't moderating be the same - leaving the admins/mods to use thier precious little time to do real mod/admin tasks, not just endless spam hunting.

hitech
01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
and is on enough to make a difference?

I thought I qualified until you got to that one... :rofl:

CaliMagFan
01-11-2007, 02:43 PM
new mods prob. won't happen cause anyone that is still here and in charge of Modding AO is blinded by the tenure of doing so. There was a time when all of the mods might have thought that this was the place to best spend their energy, this is not that time. many of the mods have left because they have lost interest and controling this place is not high on their life priority list. the problem is that most, if not all of those people in charge cannot accept the fact that there are a large body of people that are willing to devote the same focus and energy on these boards as they once did. What is old hat to the current mods is new and pertinent in the lives of others here, but you will never get the respect or cred you deserve with such a low post count or a post-2001 join date. It's a sad story, but you newer AO'ers are dealing with the last vestiges of a dying breed of AO leaders that are desperate to cling to the fact that "they rule AO" even if it means killling the good of AO for the future in the process.

all quite melodramatic, but i'm right.

-kr

Lohman446
01-11-2007, 02:45 PM
you will never get the respect or cred you deserve with such a low post count or a post-2001 join date.

-kr

Oh? I would say that is an excuse for people who do not earn respect.

Tunaman
01-11-2007, 05:23 PM
new mods prob. won't happen cause anyone that is still here and in charge of Modding AO is blinded by the tenure of doing so. There was a time when all of the mods might have thought that this was the place to best spend their energy, this is not that time. many of the mods have left because they have lost interest and controling this place is not high on their life priority list. the problem is that most, if not all of those people in charge cannot accept the fact that there are a large body of people that are willing to devote the same focus and energy on these boards as they once did. What is old hat to the current mods is new and pertinent in the lives of others here, but you will never get the respect or cred you deserve with such a low post count or a post-2001 join date. It's a sad story, but you newer AO'ers are dealing with the last vestiges of a dying breed of AO leaders that are desperate to cling to the fact that "they rule AO" even if it means killling the good of AO for the future in the process.

-krlow post count or pre-2001 join date has absolutely nothing to do with anyone gaining any repect around here. Have respect...get respected. I dont care if it is your first or last post. And there is no "old hat"...everyday is a completely new experience around here. Some good, some bad, some indifferent. ;)

GT
01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
What is old hat to the current mods is new and pertinent in the lives of others here, but you will never get the respect or cred you deserve with such a low post count or a post-2001 join date. It's a sad story, but you newer AO'ers are dealing with the last vestiges of a dying breed of AO leaders that are desperate to cling to the fact that "they rule AO" even if it means killling the good of AO for the future in the process.

-kr

Oh no,
I have been lowering AO's standard's everyday with my pre-01 join date and high post. Cali you sound like a man who needs a hug, sersiously :rofl:

REDRT
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
everyday is a completely new experience around here.

Everyday is completely boring experience for the most part. :rolleyes: I'm amazed you mods come here as often as you do. I'd fall a sleep on the keyboard :sleeping: if I had to scan through page after page of the same things said 100 times over. Insted of foolish ideas of replacing AO moderation staff maybe someone will write about something interesting someday again!

Desega
01-11-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.kurtsimmons.com/images/bunny-pancake.gif

SpitFire1299
01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Did everyone finally get their devil mags? :confused: