PDA

View Full Version : New Sterling Pump ?

going_home
01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I was trolling Ebay (did I say that ?) and I came upon one I'd never seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sterling-STP-Stock-Class-Pump-VSC-HSC-NIB_W0QQitemZ130064070089QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16048Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An auction for a new Sterling pump marker.
I never heard of them. Anyone held, seen, or shot one ?
After some Googling I found the companies website :

http://www.arrow-precision.com/stock_class_stp_page.html

Anyone seen, held shot one of these or know anything about them ?
Post your opinions.
:confused:

wjr
01-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I read about them not too long ago in APG. I've never shot, held, or seen one in person though .

PumpMag
01-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I saw a full page ad for it in the newest APG magazine.

Pump play is getting really popular again! :headbang:

going_home
01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Sick looking semi auto too.

http://www.arrow-precision.com/new_infernos.html

etjoyride
01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Yes, they're for real, i almost bought one a few days ago. if you go over to SCP a few people have them. They're just a slightly restyled sterling (internally) with a 12g changer and a SC feed. pretty nice huh?

CoolHand
01-02-2007, 12:20 AM
I was trolling Ebay (did I say that ?) and I came upon one I'd never seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sterling-STP-Stock-Class-Pump-VSC-HSC-NIB_W0QQitemZ130064070089QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16048Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An auction for a new Sterling pump marker.
I never heard of them. Anyone held, seen, or shot one ?
After some Googling I found the companies website :

http://www.arrow-precision.com/stock_class_stp_page.html

Anyone seen, held shot one of these or know anything about them ?
Post your opinions.
:confused:

Oh.
My.
God.

Home, I cannot believe that you have never seen a Sterling before.

They are one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) pumps ever sold.

I've got two newer Sterlings that are vert feed, and an early '90's right feed. All are of excellent quality.

http://www.logicpaintball.com/Sterling-LHSide.jpg

Once you stroke a Sterling, you won't be able to look at a Phantom again, there simply is no comparison.

:headbang:

Maghog
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Oh yeah?! Well wait until my Sterling is done! It's coming along nicely.
I agree with you Coolhand, the stroke of a Sterling is unbeatable. I'vd heard good things about the newer generations too, but I don't understand why there's a vertical feed on there. When it comes to pump play, I always need to sight down the barrel. But that's just me. I'll stick with my two old Sterlings and be happy.
Dan@Triggernomics

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Oh.
My.
God.

FTW

:)

And yes they are still avaialble. (kinda)

I have a few here at the house. Again , great marker. Famous for it's stroke albeit a little in effecient stock and limited in accessories (feed options) and such. Also not a fan of the air input location but there are fixes for that.

Pneumagger
01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
How is a sterling compare to a CCM SS-25 or the Series 6 Pumps?

IIRC, despite it's appearance, isn't a sterling more of a stacked Nelson type operation, not a sheridan style operation.

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Smaller and lighter. Less 'high end' feeling if that makes sense.

Performance right on par tho.

It a nelson sheridan hybrid basically.

Functions like a nelson but vents air upward thru a port in the valve , into the bolt.

SR_matt
01-02-2007, 11:35 AM
i havetn felt these sterlings but i have felt a few of the older versions. IIRC they have a harder pump action but they are still nice. the operation is a stacked reversed nelson. http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/sterling.gif barrel pointed right side. http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/nelson.gif nelson and http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/sheridan.gif sheridan

-matt

SCpoloRicker
01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I need to take photos of my custom, dual pump-rod Sterling... :ninja:

peewee
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
My brother had one of the old sterlings. Ran his wife $475 back then gift. Great pump smooth action never any issues.

paintballmarshaltn
01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
We were sponsored by them last year.They asked what could be improved by me and Action Bob<Bob Lanstrum>. The only thing we told them to change was to use a bronze valve guide to maximize the shot's per 12 gram. Hopefully they took it to heart. I own 4 myself .From early prolines to a limited model built for us to use last year.SS-25 to a sterling is like compareing apples to oranges. A ss25 is a over-rated/ over-priced sniper. A sterling is a hybrid of nelson and sheridan valve train. They took the very best from both valve trains and built it into one bad arse pumper.I get 6-8 bps from mine.

don miguel
01-02-2007, 08:16 PM
there's a review on that on SCP, go check it out there. ;)

neppo1345
01-03-2007, 11:04 AM
I've always wanted one.

However I havent seen one for sale anywhere since Smart Parts stopped carrying the Evo product line...

Edit:
OH GOD, don posts on SCP...

Another good forum; lost.

jenarelJAM
01-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Anyone got any ideas why SCP would be blocked on these school computers but AO isn't? We can get on ebay and stuff too...
I guess I gotta wait til I get home to look up that review...

SR_matt
01-03-2007, 05:03 PM
becasue SCP has paintball in it name and AO doesnt. the blockers normaly uses key words to block stuff

-matt

scion
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Here are the facts:
# 40 shots to a 12 gram
# Perfect stock barrel..no need to change but does accept cocker threads
# Angel threaded feed tube..thread in 10 or 15 round stock class feed
# High quality anodising and milling..from the factory
# Best machining qualities throughout the whole gun..anything over 2 thosandths is not acceptable and thats to the minus nothing is allowed to the positive side
# Outranged and outshot (accuracy) my phantom with the 11 inch stock barrel..the only way it could come close was with my j&j 2piece on it
# Will fit right in the same price range as the phantoms,but fully ano'ed and pretty

Bottomline:
# Absolutely perfect
# The pump action of this baby will make you weep in joy
# It's built like a tank and damn light sub 3 lbs.
# There is nothing else out there that is any better in the price range and probably just nothing better

Thank me later ;)

CoolHand
01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Thank me later ;)

That's the new ones. The older versions take a proprietary Sterling thread that is nearly impossible to find. I've got that All American, and a J&J Edge kit that will fit them, and that's all for my Sterlings.

I got so tired of having two barrels for three markers that I made a body for the older guts that is both convertible feed AND cocker threaded:

http://www.logicpaintball.com/RBSterlingRFQ2.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/RBSterlingDS3.jpg

Went ahead and made it vert air while I was at it. Not many of them around at the time, now you can get one direct from Arrow.

Bugger.

Ah, to be novel and for it to stick. . . . . .

:rofl:

Piranti
01-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Damn you luke.......I was trying to complete the 12 steps of Gunwhore Anonymous and you ocmpletely blew it, :cry: I so want your marker.

hobbesTZ
01-10-2007, 11:04 PM
I love mine :)

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/38000/2006_0926Image0031.JPG

CoolHand
01-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Damn you luke.......I was trying to complete the 12 steps of Gunwhore Anonymous and you ocmpletely blew it, :cry: I so want your marker.

My name's Ryan. ;)

Hobbes - I love that color. Did you actually find a Freak back to fit it, or did you have to turn down and chop a Raptor threaded one? I looked all over, but the only thing I could find that SP actually made to fit a Sterling was that AA that I've got on my blue one (and I had to actually buy a whole sterling to get that one :ninja: )

behemoth
01-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Ryan, that sterling is amazing.

Is that the project one you were working on a while back, or another?

hobbesTZ
01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
CoolHand - It's a raptor threaded back. It was just turned down though, no chopping :p Fits like a glove too.

jenarelJAM
01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Ordered mine today, I'll post pics when it arrives.

Wow. As much as I'm happy with my purchase, I envy you for that one, Ryan. Very Very nice.

Btw... I thought it was spyder threads...? Oh well, if it's cocker, it only helps. I have a cocker kit. If not, no worse than I thought originally.
Scion, where did those facts come from?

hobbesTZ
01-10-2007, 11:26 PM
They are Spyder threaded, his is 'cocker threaded because it's custom.

CoolHand
01-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Ryan, that sterling is amazing.

Is that the project one you were working on a while back, or another?

Very likely that it's this one.

It's been done for quite some time now, setting on the shelf in a box waiting for me to find an anodizer and the time to pack it up. I tend to let my own projects set half finished when I've got customer stuff that I should be doing.

You know how it is. . . . .

behemoth
01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Very likely that it's this one.

It's been done for quite some time now, setting on the shelf in a box waiting for me to find an anodizer and the time to pack it up. I tend to let my own projects set half finished when I've got customer stuff that I should be doing.

You know how it is. . . . .

Yea, i remember the body....

Didnt you have a delrin insert in the barrel and all kinds of goodies like that?

That thing was awesome.

scion
01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
My quote came from the SCP review.

CoolHand
01-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Yea, i remember the body....

Didnt you have a delrin insert in the barrel and all kinds of goodies like that?

That thing was awesome.

Yeah, there's a black delrin liner that gets pressed into the pump handle so it won't wear on the barrel when it's in use.

The delrin will show through the slots in the pump arm, so I was going to have the slots in the body masked and done satin black as well.

:ninja:

scion
01-10-2007, 11:39 PM
So approximately how much does one of these things cost? Was that ebay auction a pretty standard price?

CoolHand
01-10-2007, 11:45 PM
So approximately how much does one of these things cost? Was that ebay auction a pretty standard price?

Well, that's pretty stout for my taste, but I don't know what the MSRP is supposed to be.

I've not paid over $100 for any of the nearly a dozen that have passed through my hands, though some of those were is sad shape indeed.

Sometimes they're higher, sometimes lower, depends on how many there are for sale, and how many guys from McCarter Brown find out about them. :ninja:

If you're after a used one, I'd slide on over there and have a look, they're good people, if not a little enamoured of the brass.

behemoth
01-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Ryan, that masking aint a bad idea, but why not just press it in, and then re-mill the handle so the delrin dont show thru, but its still there. you know?

then just leave the barrel black

(that'd looks nice, imo.)

jenarelJAM
01-11-2007, 01:43 AM
It's all I could find, and I've been looking pretty much everywhere(although I wasn't able to talk to arrow when I called...). I ended up doing $340 shipped, including paypal fees(which technically, he should have covered, but I won't make a big deal about). Then I've still got to get harness, hopper, tubes, tank, etc. Maybe a stock. I'll see how it is without a stock before I buy one.
The ebay auction went for $300, but the BIN was $320, with a $22 shipping, so about what I payed.
Maybe it's not worth the extra money, maybe the resale is horrible, but I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon, so I bought what I wanted.

I was asking about the cocker/spyder threads thing because of this: "# Perfect stock barrel..no need to change but does accept cocker threads" I thought it was spyder, but says here cocker, but I guess it's spyder... :wow:

Piranti
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM
oops, sorry 'Ryan' Coolhand reminds me of the movie (damned good one at that) of Cool Hand Luke =P that and I probably wet myself and was in too much shock at seeing that marker when replying to make any sense at all. :ninja: :eek:

jenarelJAM
01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Anybody know if you can attach a stock to these new sterlings? They've got something funny going on at the bottom of the grip for the hardline, and I don't have one in front of me, but I'm trying to figure out if I can buy a stock for it or not. Maybe I'll have to make one myself... That could be a fun project. I think my dad's got the tools...

RRfireblade
01-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Anybody know if you can attach a stock to these new sterlings? They've got something funny going on at the bottom of the grip for the hardline, and I don't have one in front of me, but I'm trying to figure out if I can buy a stock for it or not. Maybe I'll have to make one myself... That could be a fun project. I think my dad's got the tools...

You cannot , at least not without re routing the air direct.

jenarelJAM
01-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Even if I've got the air coming from a VSC adapter?

SR_matt
01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
you should be able to, the old sterlings i saw that 2 guys at the field i worked at had both had matching stocks (lapco or a like IIRC)
-matt

jenarelJAM
01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
you should be able to, the old sterlings i saw that 2 guys at the field i worked at had both had matching stocks (lapco or a like IIRC)
-matt
I'm talking about the new ones though. The old ones(as far as I know) didn't have a hardline that ran through the grip. I'm just wondering what the spacing for the screws on the bottom of the grip is. Is it standard?

SR_matt
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
o totaly forgot that new feature

if its not standard it shouldnt be hard to modify a stock or make a stock to match up ((just simple drilling)

-matt

RRfireblade
01-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Oh , VSC.

Hmmm , I don't recall actually. Think I've only had one VSC go thru me and I don't think I looked. I'm sure one could be made to work , couldn't be too difficult. Worst case adapter plate or re-drill. Let me see what I can find out.

jenarelJAM
01-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh , VSC.

Hmmm , I don't recall actually. Think I've only had one VSC go thru me and I don't think I looked. I'm sure one could be made to work , couldn't be too difficult. Worst case adapter plate or re-drill. Let me see what I can find out.
Thanks Jay. Don't spend too much time on it, I know how valuable time is. I was just wondering if anyone knew offhand.

So, assuming it's different, if I took some other sort of stock and a drill press, I could do it myself? hm...

RRfireblade
01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Pretty much. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

jenarelJAM
01-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Great, thanks.