PDA

View Full Version : Popularity of Brass

VFX_Fenix
01-02-2007, 04:17 AM
So I've noticed on the A-5 boards that the PPS Brass barrels have come strongly into favor again (and when I say again, I mean like the first time since DYE stopped making just barrels) and I have to ask myself why? I mean, they're so popular that they've replaced the once tried and true stand-by LAPCO BigShot.

Anyone have any ideas what's caused this surge of popularity with what's largely considered an "old, heavy, out-dated" barrel material? Could this mark the return of Stainless Steel as a barrel material as well?

robertsr1811
01-02-2007, 08:40 AM
It's the single most accurate barrel I've ever used.

Stupid accurate.

Worth the weight accurate.

I'm not surprised they are catching on.

Pneumagger
01-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Brass, although heavy, is considered a self lubricating material. As well, it can be honed very finely. I can see why it would make a better barrel over the current market.

As far as it's renewed interest, do you notice it in the tippman/milsim market where alot of participants are veterans or older? Or is it something of renassaince among the AGG kids?

/I imagine AGGers are sick of haveing their butts handed to them. :p

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Barrels a barrels a barrel.

Much like a fad is a fad is a fad. ;)

Lohman446
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM

While I agree with you on this I would point out one advantage of a brass barrel. That same weight that people complain about allows it to function as a bull barrel, and may actually increase accuracy in someone's hand over a lighter barrel of comparable quality, regardless of composition.

Pneumagger
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM

eh...

Ever shot a Spyder clone stock barrel?

IMO there are "stock" barrels and "aftermarket" barrels.

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Perhaps on a reduculously light Pball gun that the average Agger would never put a peice of brass on ;) but on a 2 fisted tank such as an A5 . . . mmmm , prolly not so much. :)

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 11:00 AM
eh...

Ever shot a Spyder clone stock barrel?

IMO there are "stock" barrels and "aftermarket" barrels.

It's in your head , if you had paint that fit that spyder barrel you'd never notice a difference.

Pneumagger
01-02-2007, 11:06 AM
It's in your head , if you had paint that fit that spyder barrel you'd never notice a difference.
I'll bet if half the balls made it out the barrel in one piece... I wouldn't notice the difference either. I've used my VL triad as a backup once... and actually think about whether I should lean out to shoot at somebody and risk getting hit when more then half the balls aren't going to ge there. That POS gun is like russian roulette for my paintballs.

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Well I'll refrain from comment on the accuracy of the rest of the marker. :)

I'll just tell you from the standpoint of being a barrel manufacturer for quite some time AND giving you insight that no other ever would . . .

Barrels are one of if not the , greatest pieces of purely 'hype' product in the history of the game. The differences between $300 worth of Ti and .03$ of PVC will never over come the irregularity found in a single bag of dried gelletin.

:)

turbo chicken
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
pps makes a good barrel ... always have... and they sell themselves... It just sounds to me like they discovered a good product and if enough people swear by them others will follow.

Your guess is as good as any of ours as to why the renewed interest. but I'd say that 1-2 people tried them and posted "this is the best barrel ever" blablabla... then a couple more tried them out and posted the samething ... and so on ... Eventually it is a must have item of the community

geekwarrior
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Well I'll refrain from comment on the accuracy of the rest of the marker. :)

I'll just tell you from the standpoint of being a barrel manufacturer for quite some time AND giving you insight that no other ever would . . .

Barrels are one of if not the , greatest pieces of purely 'hype' product in the history of the game. The differences between $300 worth of Ti and .03$ of PVC will never over come the irregularity found in a single bag of dried gelletin.

:)

Why is it we don't see plastic barrels?...you think it'd be so much cheaper and lighter. Do they tend to warp?

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Why is it we don't see plastic barrels?...you think it'd be so much cheaper and lighter. Do they tend to warp?

There have been , PMI of the top of my head. Quite cool looking too , IMO.

Durability would be a long term downfall there for obvious reasons . . . similar issue I have wih brass BTW. Looks awesome freshly polished but scratches and tarnishes quickly.

91Foxtrot
01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
There have been , PMI of the top of my head. Quite cool looking too , IMO.

Some Piranhas from 2002 had a plastic and metal barrel. My buddy has one. I remember that he had a problem with the plastic portion when it began to slide out of the metal frame. He also has the occasional issue with barrel breaks. Not that there were an outrageous number of them, but when they occurred refs thought he had been hit on the barrel.

You can see them at www.buypmi.com. Check out the 2002 EXT.

JOESPUD27
01-02-2007, 01:18 PM
To kinda stay on topic...

I've always tried to match my paint to the barrel. Sometimes, I need a aftermarket barrel to fit the paint selection. My paint choices are usually kind of limited.

Jay

CKY_Alliance
01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Kind of off topic,but its about barrels and don't want to start a whole thread on it..

Anyone know what a twistlock dye UL (old one-peice type) barrel is worth?

GT
01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
While I agree with you on this I would point out one advantage of a brass barrel. That same weight that people complain about allows it to function as a bull barrel, and may actually increase accuracy in someone's hand over a lighter barrel of comparable quality, regardless of composition.

It think it acts more like a lever treating the gripframe as a fulcrum shifting weight a little more forward. Although I dont see how a 1/2lb barrel will make difference on a full on ugly 15lbs mill sim marker.

VFX_Fenix
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM

I can agree with this as well, I've long been a proponent of heavier barrels on guns for people who want more accuracy, especialy under a rapid fire sort of condition. Or people who just want to reduce felt recoil.

As far as it's renewed interest, do you notice it in the tippman/milsim market where alot of participants are veterans or older? Or is it something of renassaince among the AGG kids?

So far as the demographic that's championed these barrels I have no idea. Most of the A5 guys are of the "older generation" of ballers (guys who've been in since the early to mid 90's from what I can tell). However this demographic has stayed largely unchanged since the last time I'd been rolling around on the A-5 Forums. I'm guessing this is largely a phase that the community is going through, though there are the kids floating around that are also big pushers of the Palmers Brass option.

Glickman
01-02-2007, 03:17 PM

definitely.

i have an atomic ordinance Z-1 with a twist lock brass barrel that we polished till you could rub your finger on it and make it sing. There is definitely something different about shooting a brass barrel.

but now that gives me an idea ;)