PDA

View Full Version : Hmm , Ammo.

RRfireblade
01-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Not sure if I should post this here but it's pretty dang cool so . . .

Can't say too much about the detail but some of my contract work has lead me to do some testing and R&D work with and relating to BMT's or Blended Metal Technology Bullets.

Anyone heard of these yet ? They've kinda been around a little while but this is my first experience with the latest version of them.

In a nut shell , they will pierce something around 3/4" or better armor steel sheet (and thicker bullet proof glass and the like) yet fragment to nearly 100% in soft tissue.

What that means is should a target behind said steel exist , the bullet will pass thru the steel intact and fully fragment in the target tissue.

Or in contrast , an armor piercing bullet having full stopping power in soft tissue as opposed to blasting thu and thru and hitting un-intended targets in the back ground.

Any thoughts in this technology ? Positive or negative ?

Oh , and yes . . . they most definitely function as designed. Exceptionally ingenious principle.

Army
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
As soon as YOU works all the bugs out, these are going to be the greatest thing in bullets since the Minie.

...so get to work, slacker :D

RRfireblade
01-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Sha Right. :)

That's not my end but what I've experienced so far is pretty impressive. Me thinks a few of theses might make it into my CCW for sure. :ninja:

Dubstar112
01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I must say that it is interesting to know thats there. The only thing I shoot is a 270 and I doubt I need that for deer hunting but, Im sure the guys who have to make the decision to pull the trigger will appreciate the concept.

etjoyride
01-03-2007, 01:12 AM
My cousin was telling me about these at christmas, sound really interesting to me. I really want to try them out :p

PyRo
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
What about clothing or a vest? Couldn't a heavy jacket cause it to fragment? What about a light vest?

Lohman446
01-03-2007, 02:18 PM
I must say that it is interesting to know thats there. The only thing I shoot is a 270 and I doubt I need that for deer hunting but, Im sure the guys who have to make the decision to pull the trigger will appreciate the concept.

What about non-military / personal defense applications?

Say hunting

"But its behind that tree"

Dubstar112
01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh so true. But would dense brush make it frag? Thats such a technical shot!

Lohman446
01-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh so true. But would dense brush make it frag? Thats such a technical shot!

I think the problem with dense brush would be knocking it off intended course more than fragmenting

Dubstar112
01-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I think the problem with dense brush would be knocking it off intended course more than fragmenting

Think thicker then, until you cant prove me wrong in your head :)

Lohman446
01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Think thicker then, until you cant prove me wrong in your head :)

Like a tree :)

neppo1345
01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
There was a special the history channel, Modern Marvels: Bullets I believe.

They did a 5 minute segment on these things.

All I have to say is WOW.

They show it piercing a steel silhouette, then show it literally disentigrating a piece of meat.

Not going to lie, kinda scary. It looked like someone put a large charge inside of the meat.

Edit:

Found a video: http://www.defensereview.com/water/blendedmetalintro.wmv

Dubstar112
01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Like a tree :)

Im gonna need some trajectory charts of one hitting a tree and passing through. Im gonna start practicing now.

< DEER SLAAAAAYYYYER.

Pneumagger
01-03-2007, 02:54 PM
These bullets will never work as good at deer hunting as salt lick off the back porch. ;)

. :p

RRfireblade
01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
In simplest terms , the tip is a material matrix that reacts differently to temperature conditions.

Below certain temps , like that of cold steel , the tip contracts at impact and lowers friction coefficient to allow it to stay solid at impact and 'slip' thru the metal. At warmer temps (human) it shifts the opposite direction and ramps the friction coefficient which causes the tip to turn to near powder form. From that point , the rest of the bullet is like a mini grenade. It does all this in fractions of a millisecond and with a good deal of reliability and dependability.

Nothing short of amazing that the theory works at all.

Pneumagger
01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
In simplest terms , the tip is a material matrix that reacts differently to temperature conditions.

Below certain temps , like that of cold steel , the tip contracts at impact and lowers friction coefficient to allow it to stay solid at impact and 'slip' thru the metal. At warmer temps (human) it shifts the opposite direction and ramps the friction coefficient which causes the tip to turn to near powder form. From that point , the rest of the bullet is like a mini grenade. It does all this in fractions of a millisecond and with a good deal of reliability and dependability.

It seems to work in a lab. Although, on a sunny day steel sitting in the sun is way hotter than a human, and has more thermal inertia too.

/sorry if my previous post offended anyone tuna. (i was joking on the intarnetz)

RRfireblade
01-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh it works here in Florida too , on a bright sunny 80* day. :)

iambored
01-03-2007, 07:47 PM

And I was hoping it was just high velocity since metals and organic tissue absorb different amounts of energy

Cold Steel
01-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Can you say cop-killer?

RRfireblade
01-04-2007, 12:02 AM
For right now they are for Military and Law Enforcement use only.

FYI , all bullets are potential cop killers.

It's not the bullet that makes a one person kill another. :nono:

Piranti
01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Right now they are calling them 'Frangible' munitions. Mainly intended for military and law enforcement. Have seen them work both ways, and the physics and chemistry behind them is nothing short of amazing. I would not truely rely on thier ability to do what they claim but simply reduce significantly the undesired effects of normal munitions. Like firing at a terrorist on an airliner. Kill the terrorist and not break the pressure seal of the cabin. The other type which explode flesh after passing through steel or other hard surcase are technically against the geneva conventions. As that states only munitions fired from a rifle or handgun need ot be metal jacketed and intended to pass through a human. (Or something to that effect exact details I am not not exactly familiar with)

Cold Steel
01-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Most new weapons and munitions are created for a military or law enforcement application. Unfortunately, these items sooner or later wind up in the wrong hands. In this day and age, money can buy anything.

iambored
01-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Right now they are calling them 'Frangible' munitions. Mainly intended for military and law enforcement. Have seen them work both ways, and the physics and chemistry behind them is nothing short of amazing. I would not truely rely on thier ability to do what they claim but simply reduce significantly the undesired effects of normal munitions. Like firing at a terrorist on an airliner. Kill the terrorist and not break the pressure seal of the cabin. The other type which explode flesh after passing through steel or other hard surcase are technically against the geneva conventions. As that states only munitions fired from a rifle or handgun need ot be metal jacketed and intended to pass through a human. (Or something to that effect exact details I am not not exactly familiar with)
Yeah I thought the Geneva Convetion did that too.

RRfireblade
01-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Basically correct.

There are a variety of frangible projectiles , this is one of the more advanced. Blazers , for an example, were one of the earlier rounds. They were pretty much incased buck shot that expelled after impact.

Geneva convention stated that during war time activities, nothing more than jacketed 'ball' style ammo. Nothing frangible , carrying toxin or expanding primarily to the difficulty and danger it creates for civilian and medical personal.

Turned out it was good military strategy as well , kill one soldier and you kill just one soldier. Wound him and you take him out of combat as well and 2-3 others needed to move him to safety.

edweird
01-04-2007, 01:07 PM
how does it handle diffrent twist rates? I am only worried that my 1/7 barrel will tear that round up.

as for the Geneva Convention, dont expect an expedious ruling from the JAG, IIRC the controversy that finally led to the use of Sierra MatchKing 168-grain match grade boat tail by snipers took quite awhile. The good thing is there is special legal president for them to lean on.

the weird turn of this all is that ball 5.56's primary kill mechanisim is fragmentation by design, so this round as ive been led to understand only preforms this function in a more efficent and lethal manner.

RRfireblade
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Don't really have that much data but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects to different bore designs. I haven't tested them in that great a detail , my work is in other areas.