PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my feedneck off... strapwrench?

warbeak2099
01-06-2007, 07:41 PM
The damn thing is aped on real tight. Will a strapwrench do it? I drilled a hole through the side and tried torquing it off with an allen wrench... I now have two of the same size allen wrench.

lasrsktr
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
The damn thing is aped on real tight. Will a strapwrench do it? I drilled a hole through the side and tried torquing it off with an allen wrench... I now have two of the same size allen wrench.

yeah a strap wrench should do it...

Also with the allen wrench trick... you should be using a thicker allen key to try it with..

athomas
01-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Apply some heat to break the bond between metals. Then use a strap wrench to remove it.

warbeak2099
01-07-2007, 02:53 PM
How do I go about applying the heat?

craltal
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
you could try boiling water if you don't have a heat gun. That should loosen up any lock tite that may have been used.

Have you tried putting the body int a vise to hold it so you can get more leverage?

If we are talking about a mag body, another option would be to throw the whole thing in the freezer to get it to contract and put just the body in the water so the body expands just a little quicker than the neck.

wjr
01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
How do I go about applying the heat?

You could take a Mapp or Propane torch and set the flame to be very low, and don't get it too close to the feedneck or body.

warbeak2099
01-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm talking about a mag body and no loctite is on there. I simply aped the neck onto the gun. Ill try the boiling water and the freezer.

jenarelJAM
01-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I got mine off by leaving it in boiling water for about 20 minutes, then taking a strapwrench to it. I might have put it in the oven after boiling it too, I can't remember. Just be sure to grab the body with some paper towels or something, cause it's going to be HOT!

djslik
01-12-2007, 01:37 AM
I used a strap wrench to protect it then put a vice grip over the rubber strap and wrench it loose after boiling that sucker in water for about 10 min. It was a real pain in the *** to remove that feedneck and I got one of the earlier versions where apparently they used too much loctite.

phizz
01-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I used a strap wrench to protect it then put a vice grip over the rubber strap and wrench it loose after boiling that sucker in water for about 10 min. It was a real pain in the *** to remove that feedneck and I got one of the earlier versions where apparently they used too much loctite.

I do the same thing, use the thick rubber of the strap wrench to protect the feedneck then clamp on the vise grips usually works great... don't clamp the grips too tight as you have a chance of bending the feedneck.

p8ntbal4me
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
You got access to a vise?

Get a leather strap, or a leather belt (same thing) and wrap it around the feed neck once.

Place the feed neck and strap into the vise with the gun upside down, clamp down so the gun stays in place.

Turn gun COUNTER CLOCKWISE as it sits in front of you, if the gun slips in vise, slightly increase the pressure on the feed neck.

Soon, it will stop moving and the neck will break free.

If you cant get the thing off like this,... U need heat.

Im not going to go into all that,. read the previous posts starting with the heat gun and work your way into a torch.