PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas...CFOA legal ramping mag

punkncat
01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Awright....as some of you may have seen I will be playing CFOA next year. Given the position we are in, I am open to use any equipment I like. I am thinking of going with a mag.

I am currently awaiting some parts for what will become a project in the works. I will be using an Xvalved ULE with a....well here is where I want some suggestions.

I am getting a 13BPS Hyperframe. I want it to have all the features and speed of a new marker. I was thinking of going with the Tboard and having the frame milled for the Dye membrane pad for on/off, etc. Someone mentioned that the Tboard won't fit inside the Hyperframe, and to look into Cyborg boards...among others.

I know nothing about modding a Hyper, have never owned one. Generally when I have upgraded a board it was a drop in, and required no rewiring or modding to make it work. I am an electrician so with the proper schematics I can make it work, but want to go the easiest route possible and most reliable.

Weight is of the utmost importance.
I want to preserve the "mech" look. I would even go mech if RT was legal, but alas I cannot.
What have others done to make their Mag into a ramping beast?

Doesn't have to be a modded Hyperframe, but have no intrest in Emag lowers. And don't want to spend a fortune or wait forever.....

Dubstar112
01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Somone has successfully placed an ION board into a pneumag conversion. In the work shop, check it out. The hyperframe might lend its self to the electro pneumatic conversion nicley.

Otherwise, my hyperframe had a Hyper mode on it capped at 13. But you also should consider a lighter switch. I believe they came with 200g switches, and down to 50g is available at appropriate electronics supply stores from what I understand. Airsolder mighthave them, I havent checked myself.

edit. 25 g switch. whatever the hyper came with, I know its heavy...

http://www.airsoldier.com:8080/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=OMRON-D2F-FL

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189803

punkncat
01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Somone has successfully placed an ION board into a pneumag conversion. In the work shop, check it out. The hyperframe might lend its self to the electro pneumatic conversion nicley.

Otherwise, my hyperframe had a Hyper mode on it capped at 13. But you also should consider a lighter switch. I believe they came with 200g switches, and down to 50g is available at appropriate electronics supply stores from what I understand. Airsolder mighthave them, I havent checked myself.

edit. 25 g switch. whatever the hyper came with, I know its heavy...

http://www.airsoldier.com:8080/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=OMRON-D2F-FL

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189803

So looking through the Ion board thread, I see that everyone is concentrating on electro pneumatic. What if you were to remove the 2way and use the pulse coming off the capacitor to work the noid in the Hyperframe?
Only problem I can forsee with the limited research I have done so far is what I saw on Ydna's site:

Most Ion boards operate the solenoid by sending a surge of full power for a few milliseconds, afterwards the signal is pulsed on and off at a very fast rate. What this does is keep the armature in the firing position while using the lowest amount of battery power possible. This serves to both lengthen battery life, and keep heat buildup to a minimum.

..and wonder if this would cause a problem with the solenoid opening or resetting properly.

I have already noted that with minor modification the microswitch can be removed and remotely located.

rkjunior303
01-09-2007, 07:46 PM
why not get emag lowers with that new software that kid wrote?

honestly, do yourself a favor - sell the mag and buy a cyborg.

BigEvil
01-09-2007, 08:11 PM

If he's going through that much trouble.. then he's obviously attached to the mag.

p8ntbal4me
01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Awright....as some of you may have seen I will be playing CFOA next year. Given the position we are in, I am open to use any equipment I like. I am thinking of going with a mag.

I am currently awaiting some parts for what will become a project in the works. I will be using an Xvalved ULE with a....well here is where I want some suggestions.

I am getting a 13BPS Hyperframe. I want it to have all the features and speed of a new marker. I was thinking of going with the Tboard and having the frame milled for the Dye membrane pad for on/off, etc. Someone mentioned that the Tboard won't fit inside the Hyperframe, and to look into Cyborg boards...among others.

I know nothing about modding a Hyper, have never owned one. Generally when I have upgraded a board it was a drop in, and required no rewiring or modding to make it work. I am an electrician so with the proper schematics I can make it work, but want to go the easiest route possible and most reliable.

Weight is of the utmost importance.
I want to preserve the "mech" look. I would even go mech if RT was legal, but alas I cannot.
What have others done to make their Mag into a ramping beast?

Doesn't have to be a modded Hyperframe, but have no intrest in Emag lowers. And don't want to spend a fortune or wait forever.....

I have 2 Hyperframes, both are the 13Bps boards you are describing. The only thing you need to change out is the board. You need a board that has supports: a trigger switch, a solenoid, a battery, and can fit inside your space for the frame.

The board in the Hyperframe measures 2 inches in length and 3/4 of an inch in width(give or take a quarter inch).
Ive looked into the T-board and I have never shot one,.. but I can tell you that for my project frame, I am going a different direction with the board.

I have measured out the Rampage Board from GoAPEonline.com. There board fits in the space provided in the Hyperframe. I dont know about the screw holes though. Their noid is hard wired to the board and it looks shorter,... so you would have to cut the wires, make them longer, and solder them back together. Some boards come with triggers on them, some come with them as an add on. You need to see what you need.

Its not hard what you are doing,.. almost any board will work. Jusy make sure you start small and work your way out,.... thats what killed me with my design flaws. The DYE membrane would be nice,.. but do you really need a board that supports it?

Ive got a Xonik (eBlade) cocker board in a Z-Grip Im working on and it took alot of milling to get it in there. I wish I stayed smaller,.. but now that the solenoid is mounted and semi is ripping like crazy,.. Im glad I took the time to fix my errors early.

Leave your solenoid mounted in there, disco your hyperframe board and save it for later.
Fit your new board in,... match up the wires and try it out. Make SURE you buy a wiring harness for the board you are buying!!!! So you can wire everything up right away.

You can see what BigEvil had to do to get his NME board inside the Intelliframe. That about as much work as you will have to do,.. grind a bit of metal if u get a board thats 2 big.

I used to play in the CFOA circuit when I was in the service,... the A-Team, Black N Blue, Carolina Ruckus, etc,... any of those teams still make the roster?? Are you in the Jacksonville NC area or where?

punkncat
01-09-2007, 08:35 PM

I am looking away from the Emag lowers due to weight, as I mentioned above.

Thanks for the suggestion...... :rolleyes:

p8ntbal4me
01-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I forgot to mention one other thing that is VERY IMPORTANT about using a mag in the CFOA.

You need to MAKE SURE that prior (like a 2 week period prior) you get your coach or designated captain to tell the CFOA that you are specifically requesting a defined chrono procedure in the event that a team member is using a XYZ mag and that the proper chrono method for the gun is XYZ way.

Guys that ran classic R/Ts (like me) in the CFOA when it was first starting up hd issues with chrono judges because they were not chronoing the guns right before the game and after the game,.... not to mention during the game!

My point is laid out in the E-Mag/Micro E-Mag manual,.... simply selecting the gun between manual and electronic,... changes the way you have to chrono the gun.

Why do this? If your seriously planning on completing,... then by doing this BEFORE the 3 day prior to even gun inspection clause occurs, you have provided the tourney series with the ability to contact the team coordinator in ample time to ask you specifics on the gun to educate a judge PRIOR to the event.

If the gun runs okay over the chrono before the game,.. then spikes on the field and you are deducted points, you can challenge the call on the basis that the chrono judge does not know the proper way to chrono the gun.

I know your running a electronic frame and all,.... and maybe your just playing to play. But if your going to compete and pay $1000 per event to try and win the grand prize,... you may want to look into this.

Just a thought,...

punkncat
01-09-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info, esp the measurements.

I have a few stock Ion boards I can work with to see if I can power the pancake noid with them.....looking into some of the posts about the pneumatic mod I am unsure if I am skilled enough to safely solder my connections w/o burning the board.

I am also going to look further into the APE board, and still strongly considering the Tboard. It just seems like it will be easiest.

EDIT- Also, as far as I understand the chrono issue follows the RT on/off, is this not correct? I will be using the on/off that came with the Hyperframe or a ULT.

p8ntbal4me
01-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info, esp the measurements.

I have a few stock Ion boards I can work with to see if I can power the pancake noid with them.....looking into some of the posts about the pneumatic mod I am unsure if I am skilled enough to safely solder my connections w/o burning the board.

I am also going to look further into the APE board, and still strongly considering the Tboard. It just seems like it will be easiest.

Pneumagger did his EPMag with a ION board but he cut everything off of it except the board (search his posts out and ull see it).

From what he says you cnt use it at it lies,.. u need to strip it down.

Seriously,.. you can do the elctronic mod just by swaping the boards out,.. u already hae the frame.

The Pneumag takes more parts and more time. And you might not get more speed out of it to boot.

If you are playing tourney,... ur going to want that extra 15Bps with only struming the trigger at 8bps. It makes the differance in the 3-5 man were the shooting lanes are closer.

punkncat
01-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Pneumagger did his EPMag with a ION board but he cut everything off of it except the board (search his posts out and ull see it).

Seriously,.. you can do the elctronic mod just by swaping the boards out,.. u already hae the frame.

What I am considering is only an electronic mod, a board swap. The only reason I am considering using an Ion board is that its small, fast, and I can get one or two for free. The only thing that I will have to do is rig up the wiring...I hope.

p8ntbal4me
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
What I am considering is only an electronic mod, a board swap. The only reason I am considering using an Ion board is that its small, fast, and I can get one or two for free. The only thing that I will have to do is rig up the wiring...I hope.
Heres the mod to the ION board that Pneumagger did,... he says its as small as a morlock,... and thats pretty damn small!

ION MAG Board (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207913)

it looks funny cause he wrapped it up in HS tube to prevent it from shorting out on the frame.

punkncat
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Heres the mod to the ION board that Pneumagger did,... he says its as small as a morlock,... and thats pretty damn small!

ION MAG Board (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207913)

it looks funny cause he wrapped it up in HS tube to prevent it from shorting out on the frame.

What he did is exactly what I have in mind w/o removing the capacitor.

turbo chicken
01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Send a spyder frame to luke then put a tboard in it ... get whatever ramping chip they make and your done

Dubstar112
01-09-2007, 09:48 PM
So looking through the Ion board thread, I see that everyone is concentrating on electro pneumatic. What if you were to remove the 2way and use the pulse coming off the capacitor to work the noid in the Hyperframe?
Only problem I can forsee with the limited research I have done so far is what I saw on Ydna's site:

..and wonder if this would cause a problem with the solenoid opening or resetting properly.

I have already noted that with minor modification the microswitch can be removed and remotely located.

If youre aiming for something reliable at the moment, Id stick to the method that they have used. Its just an electro pneumag. However the Ion pulse can be chagned to a very wide range, but like you said the style of pulse it uses may not work with a large pancake or emag style noid.. That would give you 17 bps and a lot of ramping options especially with all the aftermarket board solutions available.

spaz66777
01-09-2007, 10:20 PM
This may be really dumb but aren't most blowback markers operating the same parts your looking to operate? If so the Piranha evo is caped at 20 bps. I believe it operates the trigger switch, solenoid, and battery.

warbeak2099
01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
You could also just mill the Hyperframe inside and slap a new VerC Tboard in it with Lazer eyes and the membrane. That's what I'm doing to my Spydermag. Well without the milling.

Josh2Xtremes
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
It's been a while since I've stopped by here but it's nice to see the CFOA name pop up. You're in luck my friend, both Larry Motes, CFOA President, and the Director of Marketing and Sponsorship of the CFOA (me) are old mag shooters who do happen to still shoot mags. Heck the last gun I played with was a mag a couple of weeks ago, and Larry just bought an XMag in addition to his Emags for personal use. What I'm getting at is that we'll be very happy to see a Mag back in the league, it's been a while.

As you go along with this project remember several things: We currently (and will continue) to use Paintball Radarchron handheld units on the field in addition to PACT timers, Paintball Radar BPS units and even a parabolic microphone unit like that used by the NXL to monitor both rate of fire and feet per second. Some of our head referees like Callahan and myself were once AGD sponsored players so trust me when I say that we know how to properly chronograph and officiate Automags of all types.

As for my advice on the actual gun itself? I'd look into EMag lowers with a ULE body and then get yourself a nice light bottle like a 45 45 unless you plan to play in the back. Remember CFOA games average something like 3 to 4 minutes each and are played X-Ball style, on X-Ball fields, so they'll go fast. You don't exactly need a 114 bottle. THen you can get that new software out there and flash your gun to enable it to ramp like any other high-end electro and you're in business. Could be the easiest and simplest way to get where you want to go.

Come find Larry and I at the first CFOA you come to! We'd love to meet a fellow mag shooter! We look foward to seeing you at our events!
Josh

Joshua D. Silverman
Associate Editor, Paintball Games International Magazine
Director of Marketing and Sponsorship, CFOA Tournament Series
Photography / Marketing / Advertising, DraXxuS, VForce Vision, Procaps Direct
www.thecfoa.com
www.joshuasilverman.com

punkncat
01-10-2007, 06:55 AM
It's been a while since I've stopped by here but it's nice to see the CFOA name pop up. You're in luck my friend, both Larry Motes, CFOA President, and the Director of Marketing and Sponsorship of the CFOA (me) are old mag shooters who do happen to still shoot mags. Heck the last gun I played with was a mag a couple of weeks ago, and Larry just bought an XMag in addition to his Emags for personal use. What I'm getting at is that we'll be very happy to see a Mag back in the league, it's been a while.

As you go along with this project remember several things: We currently (and will continue) to use Paintball Radarchron handheld units on the field in addition to PACT timers, Paintball Radar BPS units and even a parabolic microphone unit like that used by the NXL to monitor both rate of fire and feet per second. Some of our head referees like Callahan and myself were once AGD sponsored players so trust me when I say that we know how to properly chronograph and officiate Automags of all types.

As for my advice on the actual gun itself? I'd look into EMag lowers with a ULE body and then get yourself a nice light bottle like a 45 45 unless you plan to play in the back. Remember CFOA games average something like 3 to 4 minutes each and are played X-Ball style, on X-Ball fields, so they'll go fast. You don't exactly need a 114 bottle. THen you can get that new software out there and flash your gun to enable it to ramp like any other high-end electro and you're in business. Could be the easiest and simplest way to get where you want to go.

Come find Larry and I at the first CFOA you come to! We'd love to meet a fellow mag shooter! We look foward to seeing you at our events!
Josh

Joshua D. Silverman
www.thecfoa.com
www.joshuasilverman.com

Thanks Josh,

I have actually "met" you guys, well I should say I was introduced for a quick handshake with Larry, and I believe you were there as well...while y'all were looking over a field here for the upcoming season. Windy Hill Paintball and Shane Preston...I have reffed for and am a friend of his. Looking really forward to seeing the events there this year.

I appreciate in input. Hopefully my build will not require any special procedures and will chrono and operate as any other marker...it will just be a Mag.

Look forward to seeing you again, and who knows, once I get the mag out on the field perhaps I will start a fashion? lol

UTDragun
02-03-2007, 10:54 PM

Josh

Joshua D. Silverman
www.thecfoa.com
www.joshuasilverman.com
pssh I used an xmag most of last season and some of 05, and made top 10 novice 06, but yes its always good to see mags at cfoa

you going to the first one? if so what team will you be playing for? Ill be there sat to watch my rookie team Outta Kontrol play then I play on Fallout for novice on sunday

punkncat
02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
pssh I used an xmag most of last season and some of 05, and made top 10 novice 06, but yes its always good to see mags at cfoa

you going to the first one? if so what team will you be playing for? Ill be there sat to watch my rookie team Outta Kontrol play then I play on Fallout for novice on sunday

Team Twist-D. I am not sure what division we are going to play as of yet. Technically we could play beginner, but none of us are exactly new to the sport or a higher level of play...

After seeing the post about the Ion board only, I am considering trying to do that. Removing the pneu-solenoid on it and putting the Hyperframe's capacitor and noid in its place. I have the board, just have to do some de/re soldering, and decide what to do about the on/off and mode buttons.
Oh, and get the darn board out of the hyperframe...nother post.

68magOwner
02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
sorry to be off topic but, since this thread has some CFOA representation in it, is anyone playing Xball this weekend? Ill be playing D2 with QCK

UTDragun
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
sorry to be off topic but, since this thread has some CFOA representation in it, is anyone playing Xball this weekend? Ill be playing D2 with QCK
I wont be playin, but will be watching CEP play d3

mainly dont have the money to play cfoa x and psp