PDA

View Full Version : New kind of bolt?

bigguy
01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
ok, i'm really new to mags...i have had my very first mag for a matter of weeks. i have onwend in the past: tippmann 98 custom and an ion.

here's my question...if all electic guns now-a-days are using plastic or whatever matereil bolts, why not mags.

ions have a plastic one, shockers, egos, all dms...everything does...whey dont they make one for a mag.

dont' chew me out, remember i know next to nothing about mags yet.

*i know that they make the level 10...i have one...but why not something else?!

craltal
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
ok, i'm really new to mags...i have had my very first mag for a matter of weeks. i have onwend in the past: tippmann 98 custom and an ion.

here's my question...if all electic guns now-a-days are using plastic or whatever matereil bolts, why not mags.

ions have a plastic one, shockers, egos, all dms...everything does...whey dont they make one for a mag.

due to the pressures and stress a mag bolt is subjected to during the regular firing cycle a plastic bolt wouldn't last very long, if at all

grEnAlEins
01-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Shockers use aluminum bolts stock. The plastic are after-market and I have not heard that they improve anything other than kick.

There is just too much pressure on the mag bolt, even for aluminum let alone a plastic. Remember, it is a high pressure gun. The LVLX bolts are light enough anyways, and they are anti chop as well. I would go that route. The superbolts had a plastic sleeve and gave more trouble than they were worth. It have been attempted before.

cyrus-the-virus
01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
It's been tried before.

The super bolt didn't last long.

The current bolts work fine anyhow.

paint magnet
01-11-2007, 12:22 PM

here's my question...if all electic guns now-a-days are using plastic or whatever matereil bolts, why not mags. There's no such thing as an electric gun (other than airsoft). Most electronic guns use "plastic" (typically delrin) bolts because they can afford to do so due to the low amount of stress on the bolt. If a sear is involved, it's in contact with the hammer and not the bolt, so the bolt doesn't need to be as strong.

ions have a plastic one, shockers, egos, all dms...everything does...whey dont they make one for a mag. Making a 'Mag bolt out of plastic would be like making the hammer in a Spyder out of plastic. It wouldn't last more than a few shots.

It's not really practical. Well, first of all, the Mag was designed almost 18 years ago, so don't expect it to have all the features of the latest DM7 or whatever. Since the gun doesn't have a hammer, the bolt can afford to be a little heavier. What, does the Mag really have too much recoil? The bolt still cycles just as quickly as any other gun on the market. Whatever savings in weight reduction that could be gained would be vastly outweighed by the shortened lifespan. one character

Ydna
01-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Markers that use a hammer/valve design work good with lightweight bolts because the bolt doesn't come under much stress during firing, adn doesn't have to seal anything. Spool valve based guns have a lot more complications involved, mainly they can scratch and leak, and the material also isn't strong enough in most locations. That's why Ions, matricies, adn other spoolers don't use them very well.

BigEvil
01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
The mag sear also catches the mag bolt, so at least that part of it must be metal.

cyrus-the-virus
01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Also don't forget the spring on the bolt, that's going to ware down a plastic bolt in notime.

Tao
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM

The level 10 still seems to be the best bolt around (fastest to cycle anyway). Remeber this is an erra where many manufactures use cheap materials so that you have to replace things more often so they make more money. A steel bolt will last forever, but a plastic bolt may need replacing 2-5 times or more in the markers lifetime.

warbeak2099
01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I wonder if a CF bolt would be strong enough. I mean, the CF material frame could hold a Miata in the air. Some more lightweight materials can be pretty strong if not stronger than steel. Aluminium oxynitride (transparent aluminum) is I believe 2 or 3 times as strong as steel and much lighter. The airforce is testing it as a prototype armor. It can stop an armor piercing bullet and I believe it can be machined similarly to regular aluminum. Probably expensive :cry:

bigguy
01-11-2007, 02:57 PM
true true...good points...i always wonderen and AO answered! Thanks guys

warbeak2099
01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
The level 10 still seems to be the best bolt around (fastest to cycle anyway). Remeber this is an erra where many manufactures use cheap materials so that you have to replace things more often so they make more money. A steel bolt will last forever, but a plastic bolt may need replacing 2-5 times or more in the markers lifetime.

Level 7 cycles a bit faster. And good quality delrin/nylatron/cf will last a very long time. You do know that most assault rifles are being made with "plastic" components now. Plastics are getting very advanced.

paint magnet
01-11-2007, 08:37 PM
I wonder if a CF bolt would be strong enough. I mean, the CF material frame could hold a Miata in the air. Some more lightweight materials can be pretty strong if not stronger than steel. Aluminium oxynitride (transparent aluminum) is I believe 2 or 3 times as strong as steel and much lighter. The airforce is testing it as a prototype armor. It can stop an armor piercing bullet and I believe it can be machined similarly to regular aluminum. Probably expensive :cry:

Tensile strength and abrasion resistence are two very different things--take a file to a steel body and a CF frame and see which one you cut through faster. There are other materials the bolt could be made out of, but steel is still probably the strongest and most cost-effective.

jenarelJAM
01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I believe that the original superbolt was made of delrin as a lighter alternative to the lvl 7 bolt, but had immediate problems with the bolt cracking. Hence, the invention of the Superbolt II - more commonly called level 10 bolt, that also incorporated an anti-chop feature.

custar
01-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Aluminium oxynitride (transparent aluminum) . . . it can be machined similarly to regular aluminum. Probably expensive :cry:

Elsewhere, I posted a similar material, aluminum oxide (transparent aluminua), as a potential material for marker bodies. While definitely "hard" enough, I was informed by several people there were two problems with using it in PB applications. First, it is formed by what sounds like pressure fusing (pressing and sintering) a powder/pellet form of the material. I didn't quite understand why that would make it difficult use, but the objections came from people who work with the stuff. Second, I was informed the transparent alumina is very hard to mill and then polish because of its hardness and scratch resistance (high Mohs score). ALON would have the same characteristics. Now, it might be possible to use ALON as part of a composite bolt, but you would need a tube of the same material inside the marker or the bolt would eat through the aluminum of the marker.

custar

MANN
01-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Dont forget about the secret ule bolt that is in design :ninja: (Not tring to push the product, just kinda hoping I can see it in the next year or so. :D )

gus13
01-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I remember seeing something about using magnets instead of a return spring...I didn't actually read it though, and I doubt it would be applicable, however if it were then wouldn't it be plausible to use either delrin, plastic, or even CF for the bolt as it would cut down on the rub/friction factor? just a thought. :ninja: