PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do martial arts?

iambored
01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
As a fellow martial artist, I was wondering if anyone did any martial arts? I resently researched martial aarts to learn about them and their history and was shocked by how many martial arts existed.

Triangle
01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I was super heavy into aikido for the longest time, and studied MMA's since I was 7 or 8 years old. We got to learn many different styles and varients of said styles. It was a lot of fun, albeit painful at times.

iambored
01-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I was super heavy into aikido for the longest time, and studied MMA's since I was 7 or 8 years old. We got to learn many different styles and varients of said styles. It was a lot of fun, albeit painful at times.
I know how it feels, my 1st Dan (black belt) test was ran by the highest ranking Shorin-ryu instructer in America and went from 5:30 am to 12:00 pm the next day. In that time I ran 5 miles, did 750+ push-ups, 1600 kicks, and 2 on 1 sparring with no resting. That hurt the next day.

Triangle
01-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I know how it feels, my 1st Dan (black belt) test was ran by the highest ranking Shorin-ryu instructer in America and went from 5:30 am to 12:00 pm the next day. In that time I ran 5 miles, did 750+ push-ups, 1600 kicks, and 2 on 1 sparring with no resting. That hurt the next day.

It was worth it, though. No one will ever be able tot ake that from you.
Our 'studio' enviornment was more or less learning through pain. When you mess up, it hurts, and you learn real' quick not to screw up.

I learned through conditioning so It's hard for me to compare learning learning the way I did/do, to one of those Shopping Center Black Belt Academies. NOt to say that's where you learned, just tossing in my two cents.

What dan are you currently at?
I'm real doubtful that I'll ever pass Yondan, I haven't practiced in the longest time. I keep telling myself i'll get back into the habit, but I guess I'll have plenty of time once I'm enlisted.

Triangle
01-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Pm'ed you.

iambored
01-12-2007, 09:11 PM
It was worth it, though. No one will ever be able tot ake that from you.
Our 'studio' enviornment was more or less learning through pain. When you mess up, it hurts, and you learn real' quick not to screw up.

I learned through conditioning so It's hard for me to compare learning learning the way I did/do, to one of those Shopping Center Black Belt Academies. NOt to say that's where you learned, just tossing in my two cents.

What dan are you currently at?
I'm real doubtful that I'll ever pass Yondan, I haven't practiced in the longest time. I keep telling myself i'll get back into the habit, but I guess I'll have plenty of time once I'm enlisted.
I'm technically supposed to be a 2nd Dan but my doctor who does the cat scans on my knee told me to drop out for 6 month at a critical time in my training and it was that or sergury so when I came back I was alittle behind. Age retrictions have also hurt me. NASKA has a long list of resistrictions like you can't obtain 2nd dgree till 4+ years after first.

CKY_Alliance
01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I did a little Tae Kwon Doe...Olympic style.. i did that for idk a year competed a little..did ok, i just got tired of my instructor..he was so two-faced and biased..he seem to be in it for the money more then anything..oh and his own fame..in this school you didn't have to compete,but you had to...which i didn't mind,but ye..also the last two Poomsae's (forms) i learned he didn't even teach me..he had a more advanced student,who ended up being like his assistant, teach me and my friend..we were too advanced for his begginer class, but we would have been the only two in the advance class on those Poomsae so we got kinda stuck in limbo..like he didn't have time for us...im not rambling...

But ye when i quit i was green belt,blue stripe.. and like a week away from getting my blue...not much longer and i would have been first dan.

Desega
01-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I studied Kenpo and Ju-Jitsu in a mixed martial arts system for a while, it was the best time I ever had getting the crap beat out of me. I still love sparring, lol

MantisMag
01-13-2007, 09:19 AM
seven star praying mantis kung fu and capoeira.

FA22RaptorF22
01-13-2007, 09:20 AM
judo / jujitsu for me :D

Lohman446
01-13-2007, 09:41 AM
I practiced Tae Kwon Do when I was young, and then an offshoot of Kenpo (United Karate) as a teenager into my early twenties - lot of fun, especially when you get into "not too heavy" contact fighting.

CKY_Alliance
01-13-2007, 05:59 PM
I practiced Tae Kwon Do when I was young, and then an offshoot of Kenpo (United Karate) as a teenager into my early twenties - lot of fun, especially when you get into "not too heavy" contact fighting.

"not too heavy"... we had all out full contact fighting..for a awhile if you were under 18 and not a black belt and you knocked someone out you were DQ'd..the last year i competed they changed it to all ages K.O. and as always full contact...Luckly i never got knocked out..i

I did once watch and hear a guys leg snap in two.that was pretty awsome.

tech-chan
01-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I am the ITF Sparring Champion for Caldwell County. Taekwondo. Im only a redbelt.

don miguel
01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
As a fellow martial artist, I was wondering if anyone did any martial arts? I resently researched martial aarts to learn about them and their history and was shocked by how many martial arts existed.
chuck norris does martial arts.

CKY_Alliance
01-14-2007, 12:39 AM
I am the ITF Sparring Champion for Caldwell County. Taekwondo. Im only a redbelt.

ITF? Only organizations im familiar with is the USTU and NTFA..I'm state champ in my division,for sparring and form...wait maybe not form..i think both though..meh it's been awhile..

ooh ITF, International Tae Kwon Doe Federation..duh ye..like i said it's been awhile. :D

Been considering getting back into it...just without all of the tournaments...then again i dont have time for it.

NotKai
01-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah I do martial arts.

I have a black belt in martial arts.

The other day I was martial arting pretty good, but then I had to stop because some people got hurt.

I've been into martial arts for about a decade now, I've met some pretty cool martial arters along the way, and I've really learned a lot about myself.

Desega
01-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Are you ever going to stop being dumb?

chuck norris does martial arts.

Lenny
01-14-2007, 04:56 AM
Anyone heard of Pete Timoch? He was my sensai for the longest time.

He instructed Kendo, Aki-Jitsu, Tai-Kwan Do, Traditional Karate-Do, and like two others.

That man was a-effing-mazing.

I really need to get back into his class...

Papa_Smurf
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I do sho-lin-do(Spelling?)

I have been wrestling from the time I was 9, I'm still wrestling.
It is a great sport, the wrestling team is tighter than any other sport I have played which is very surprising because there is no teamwork involved, its all on you.

I do collegiate wrestling and freestyle/grecko.

Triangle
01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I do sho-lin-do(Spelling?)

I have been wrestling from the time I was 9, I'm now in college and still wrestling.
It is a great sport, the wrestling team is tighter than any other sport I have played which is very surprising because there is no teamwork involved, its all on you.

I do collegiate wrestling and freestyle/grecko.

I wrestled in highschool a little, but there weren't a lot of school in the City that particiated in any sort of Wrestling program.
We found ourselves Wrestling alot of the same people, over and over again.
THere was no competition, and it eventually got really boring.
It made me sad, it was a lot of fun in the beginning.

kosmo
01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
I messed around with a bit of brazilian jujitsu. I can now painlessly dislocate my feet, wrists, left shoulder, and jaw. The jaw thing wasnt exactly related though.

Triangle
01-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I messed around with a bit of brazilian jujitsu. I can now painlessly dislocate my feet, wrists, left shoulder, and jaw. The jaw thing wasnt exactly related though.
How's the heat over there?
I'm still waiting for 'those pictures' you promised me.

kosmo
01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
How's the heat over there?
I'm still waiting for 'those pictures' you promised me.

Im in the mountains, we dont get any heat here. Its actually warmed up a bit though lately, it gets into the 20s farenheit now. And the pics will have to wait till I get back stateside, their on my computer back there.